Lightweight Meilenstein c vs. Ax Lightness Ultra 45c

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lightweight vs. Ax Lightness

Ax Lightness Ultra 45 clincher
36%
Lightweight Meilenstein clincher
64%

Total votes: 61

Racing2

by Racing2

Anyone have tried these two wheelsets or can compare the both? I love the look of the Lightweights and think they would be the crown on my new bike, the Ax Lightness on the other hand are: twenty grams lighter, 1000 euro cheaper and have much wider rims (which i really like) any change that lightweight will come up with wider rims in the near future? which would you choose

AX Lightness:
Model Ultra clincher wheelset
Rims ax.Full carbon clincher rims for calliper brakes, 45 mm high
Hubs Extralite
Spokes Sapim CX-Ray
Spoke holes 20 holes front 24 back
Weight 1210g / per pair +/- 5%
Rider weight limi 100 kg
Area of use Street

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Lightweight Meilenstein:

Zulässiges Systemgewicht: 100 kg
technische Daten:

Speichenzahl: 16 vorn / 20 hinten
Felgenart: Clincher/Faltreifen
Felgenbreite: 20 mm
Felgenhähe: 47,5 mm
Empfohlene Reifenbreite: 18 bis 25 mm
Lieferumfang: Laufradsatz, Schnellspanner, Reifenheber, Bremsbeläge und Laufradtaschen

Gewicht: 1213g (Shimano/Sram-Freilauf)

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I've never had any experience with any of the wheels, and nor can I see myself buying those wheels but I've had 4 friends who've bought lightweights and have all since sold them. Reasons vary from things like too expensive to race on, impractical to train on, too twitchy in crosswinds.

I'm sure they're great wheels though, I'd pick the AX wheels simply because they've got regular spokes so if you ever knock them out of true or break a spoke it's a quick fix.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Speaking from my own personal experiences:

Ax: personally I won't ride anything from Ax anymore so for myself that wouldn't be an option. I think the rims are too delicate especially for clinchers. I think the Extralite hubs are definitely light, but for many people they require a bit too much maintenance.

Lightweight: They're definitely stiff and have an amazing feel when accelerating. They can be a bit troublesome in wind, they are definitely expensive and they aren't very serviceable. I've owned several sets and really enjoyed the ride of them, though after having destroyed a couple of them it does become painful to have to purchase such expensive replacements.

Obviously if these are your two choices you're after a superlight set. I have recommendations in two directions. If these are show wheels or special event wheels, go with a shallower rim and shave the weight even more. If these are to be daily riders then increase the weight and get something more suited for daily riding. Tune hubs on Enve, Corima, Knight, Zipp rims. Maybe a bit heavier, but something that you'll likely enjoy riding a bit more and will last you longer.

Racing2

by Racing2

Thanks for your reply, I went for the 28mm Ax wheels. The wheels are for special events and climbing competions I have many other options for daily use, just wanted the ultimate set for when every second and gram really counts.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I think if these are a climbing event wheel, going for the shallower rim was definitely a good choice.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Just from a durability standpoint, building a set of Enve 1.25 laced to Tune hubs would have been my choice. Depending on which Tune hubs and spokes you choose, you could have easily built a sub 900g daily riding set of Enve 1.25 wheels.

I love my teeth and having the utmost confidence in my wheels is key to keeping my teeth intact.
I've read nightmare stories about AX rims cracking with ease, but I take web stories with a grain of salt.

You can't go wrong with the Enve customer service and rim durability. The older Edge stuff was so so, but the newer Enve stuff is good to go. I like the carbon weave look of AX rims, but something just screams "Fragile" to me when I even ponder buying a set
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

Harmitc

by Harmitc

I ordered a set of Meilensteins yesterday. Hope I won't be disappointed!!!

petal666

by petal666

I didn't realise AX had moved into CCs. Makes me a little nervous considering their history with stuff breaking.

jordan00

by jordan00

Be sure to update us when those 28's come in! Near impossible to find pictures/a review around the traps.

Racing2

by Racing2

Here are some pictures, will take some more when my new bike get's here, beginning of december, an personal review will unfortunatly have to wait untill they new year. I've bought these after some great in dept feedback and information I got from some friends of mine who had real good experiences with these and a lot of love for them.

Handbrake

by Handbrake

Hi.

any feedback on the ultra 28C's? super keen to know how they went as seriously looking at some for myself.
its hard to find any feedback on them!

thanks

mark

RippedUp

by RippedUp

Bumping this one up. AX Ultra clinchers. Any feedback? Thanks!

Denavelo

by Denavelo

There's the guy who built up that AX Lightness Vial frame in the states. He's running the AX 38 Stream wheels and he races on those wheels. There are pics of him on gravel roads on those wheels too.. I'm going to say they're pretty good rims, but everyone rides in a different manner. Some riders are mindful of road debris and others just truck over everything.

Competitive Cyclists in the states are selling AX Lightness, so that has peaked my interest in their products. They're selling the wheels mostly.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ax-lightness-ultra-28c-extralite-hub-clincher-wheelset?skidn=AXL000D-ONECOL-SHI&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6YXggbGlnaHRuZXNzOjE6NTpheCBsaWdodG5lc3M=
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Strada in UK sell Ax and they like them.
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/product-c ... lightness/

But i think i believe Madcow, extremer stuff is more risky.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

roropopo

by roropopo

I think the last king of wheel is Lightweught....
I envy you who could buy Lightweught or AX...
Hope you have a satisfactory choice.