Tire sealant in latex tubes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

mattr wrote:Probably dead. It's a bugger to patch across a join, especially with dissimilar materials. Quite a stressed area too.
Usually fails there if you've been waggling the stem, you are using a track pump aren't you?

Could also be caused by the tube being stretched as the tyre moves round the rim, you did use shit loss of talc didn't you? (Stops the tube sticking to the tyre)

Thanks for answer.
Track pump, yes. Talc, no. Only the amount it came with.

I have one more tube so I will install it with plenty of talc. Also I still wonder if I can patch the tube there. And there might be a way to protect the tube from similar kind of damage.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Thread dig.

Where are we at on this issue?

Setup will be latex inner tubes in 32 mm tires at aprox 60 psi. The challenge is I need them to hold air for 12 hours in the saddle. I don't want to loose 10 psi, maybe not even 5 psi over that time period. I figure sealant will should help reduce air loss.

Anybody doing this? Is Orange Seal my go-to?

TKS,
Gib.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

My tubular (both tubulars being compared have Vittoria latex tubes retro-fitted) still loses air, at a rate little or no less than without sealant.
Less is more.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Mr.Gib wrote:Thread dig.

Setup will be latex inner tubes in 32 mm tires at aprox 60 psi. The challenge is I need them to hold air for 12 hours in the saddle. I don't want to loose 10 psi, maybe not even 5 psi over that time period. I figure sealant will should help reduce air loss.

TKS,
Gib.
Orange Seal reduce air loss significantly. To put this into perspective, ~ 5 psi in 48 hours in my Vittoria tubes. Orange Seal in latex tubes is a no brainer. Leave your spare tube at home. All you need is C02. When punctured (Veloflex Master 25mm at 85 psi in my case), pressure dropped by ~40 psi by the time it was sealed. Pump some air and your latex tube is as good as new.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

F45

by F45

I tried to put that new Finish Line sealant in my latex tubes but none of them have a removable valve core and the stuff wouldn't go in the valve. I was going to run them over a board with nails to test, but oh well.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

mpulsiv wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:20 am
Mr.Gib wrote:Thread dig.

TKS,
Gib.
Orange Seal reduce air loss significantly. To put this into perspective, ~ 5 psi in 48 hours in my Vittoria tubes. Orange Seal in latex tubes is a no brainer. Leave your spare tube at home. All you need is C02. When punctured (Veloflex Master 25mm at 85 psi in my case), pressure dropped by ~40 psi by the time it was sealed. Pump some air and your latex tube is as good as new.
That's good to know. IIRC from when I used to ride tubulars, pressure loss would be about 1 psi per hour.

Won't be leaving the spare inner tube at home though. These tires will see action in the middle of nowhere. Even if there was phone service, taxi service is likely non existent.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.