Tire sealant in latex tubes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AGW

by AGW

I'm upgrading to some Vittoria Open Corsa clinchers and naturally would like to use latex tubes. I really like the idea of a sealant in the tube that can reliably seal flats "on the fly" so as not to get dropped during a race or fast ride. There's a great slowtwitch test of different tube/sealant combinations, but very few road tests where people continued riding on after a puncture. Any experience here? Would I be better off just carrying some espresso?

upside

by upside

I have been using the Orange Sealant just to prevent any small punctures. Last year (4000 miles), one flat and this year so far, one flat. Both were side wall gashes and any tire would have had the same consequences. I am a big believer in using the sealant the first time the tire hits the road. There was a sealant test a few months back... if I remember correctly the Bontrager and Orange came out on top. Hope this helps... love WW.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Tufo Extreme works for me.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Was looking into this as well. Are there any disadvantages to using sealant? Does it add weight?

mattr

by mattr

Of course it adds weight. You are adding liquid to the tube.

Only issue with latex tubes/sealant is that some sealants can make the tube sick to itself. So leaving the wheels for a long time *could* leave you with a knackered tube.

AGW

by AGW

I've heard that (though some anecdotes refute it) and I've also heard the pure latex sealants like Stan's can either ruin a latex tube or oxidize aluminum due to their ammonia content. Stans denies this but anecdotes again seem to contradict.

Has anyone tried a non-latex product such as Flat Attack? I'm kinda leaning towards the Bontrager TLR product. A 2oz bottle per tire and I'd be set. At least for my own personal road test.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

There's no need to run 2oz per tire. Even for tubeless, Bontrager recommends 1oz/tire (one bottle works for both tires). Keep in mind that the sealant will "dry up" in a couple of months, losing its ability to protect against flats. Follow the manufacturer's recommended refill interval. Also remember that sealant WILL NOT prevent flats, it just helps you get to a safer place, allowing you to change your tube where it is more convenient.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I put Slime in my TT tires. I don't know if it will work but I figure it's a wee bit of insurance against a little wire or something ruining my race. Slime is one of the few that doesn't dry out, and it is available everywhere for cheap.
formerly rruff...

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Slime is way too think, IMO. I used to run it in a 2-1 ratio (Stan's-to-Slime). This would keep me around 65psi, in case of a flat on my tubeless road tires. I'm currently running Effeto Mariposa, and there's no way that stuff will keep the pressure that high.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Tire sealants are great on mountain bike where you ride max at 40PSI, but in my opinion they are useless on road tires. Pressure is too high and they never have time to stand on the hole and fix it.
Even if you stop, deflate the tire a bit more and wait for the fixing, on your first ride with higher pressure, you will have the same hole again.

So, don't waste your time and money. Also don't add unnecessary weight to your wheels. Carry a spare tube and change it when you have puncture. Patch your tube when you are at home.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Thank you for your opinion. You are incorrect, but thank you, anyway. See my previous post about sealant keeping my ROAD tires up to 65psi, which would let me pull over and perform my repairs.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

FIJIGabe wrote:Thank you for your opinion. You are incorrect, but thank you, anyway. See my previous post about sealant keeping my ROAD tires up to 65psi, which would let me pull over and perform my repairs.

I read it. But there is no way that you can finish your ride with 65psi. As you mentioned, you still have to stop and change the inner tube or patch it.
What I am saying is; if you have to stop and change the innertube, it is not logical to carry the extra weight in my tire. In both cases, I will stop, remove the wheel and so on.
With sealant, I will stop at the first safe spot I see. Without sealant, I will stop first, and walk there if necessary.

If what you mean was, sealant slows the deflation process, and make the ride safer in case of puncture, you might be right. I wasn't thinkig about it on my first message.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Actually, when riding tubeless, which is how I am setup, I am more than able to ride my bike at 65psi. I normally inflate my tires to 85psi, so a drop of 20psi isn't so great that I cannot finish, regardless of what distance I have left. I will usually stop to check the damage, and if it isn't too bad, just keep riding (unless I'm riding in a hilly area, in which case, I will swap in a tube).

The weight added to the tire is negligible, to be honest.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

FIJIGabe wrote:Actually, when riding tubeless, which is how I am setup, I am more than able to ride my bike at 65psi. I normally inflate my tires to 85psi, so a drop of 20psi isn't so great that I cannot finish, regardless of what distance I have left. I will usually stop to check the damage, and if it isn't too bad, just keep riding (unless I'm riding in a hilly area, in which case, I will swap in a tube).

The weight added to the tire is negligible, to be honest.

Tubeless is a different topic here I'm afraid.
On this case, you are right. It is rideable so no need to worry.

I wrote my messages only thinking about innertubes, since the main topic was about latex tubes :)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I understand the difference between what the OP posted and my situation, but sealant works. Sealant is used by all types of tire choices (clincher, tubeless and tubular), and it has been demonstrated as effective.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com