New Shamal Mille!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

davidalone

by davidalone

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/redesig ... s-launched

If that Isn't sexy I don't know what is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Very nice looking wheels, if a little porky on wieght and the fact they'll probably slap a c.1k price tag on them...
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Martin.F

by Martin.F

Beautiful wheels. And I don't think they're heavy. Zipp 303 (45mm depth) is 1335g, Enve 3.4/DT 240 is 1335g, Hed stinger 5 are 1545. When Campagnolo ones are 1313g I would say they are right where they should be weight-wise. Also, their bearings are fantastic and if the newer wheels are anything like the 35's or 50's of today they are pretty much indestructible and have the best "feel" of any wheel I've ridden (except for the LWs).

I want them. All 3 of them.

Curious George

by Curious George

Got say I am underwhelmed.....I was hoping they would transition to a wider rim for their AL wheelsets.
The new finish is nice, but wider would have been better!

zirxo

by zirxo

I agree, what's the point in being able to use your carbon brake pads if you still has to readjust the brake for the wider rim. It feels like they didn't really think this through properly.
Those wide Boras though, me wanna!

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Martin.F, the Mille's are 1450g not 1313g?? Which puts them in the "nothing too special" weight bracket of alu clinchers.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

michel2

by michel2

I just think there g3 spoke pattern doesn't make any sense..perhaps fullcrum will bring them with a more sensible pattern (;

fitty4

by fitty4

michel2 wrote:I just think there g3 spoke pattern doesn't make any sense..perhaps fullcrum will bring them with a more sensible pattern (;
Fulcrum has: racing zero nite

http://www.wigglestatic.com/product-med ... h=2000&a=7

Martin.F

by Martin.F

bikewithnoname wrote:Martin.F, the Mille's are 1450g not 1313g?? Which puts them in the "nothing too special" weight bracket of alu clinchers.

I was talking about the Boras. For training wheels, 1350g, 1450g or 1550g doesn't really matter all that much. At least not for me :thumbup:

Stats

by Stats

great idea, and looks better with black braking tracks too - i'll be looking into these (Fulcrum) version if they come out for my next set... I've used Shamals and Fulcrums for my last 3 sets of wheels and love them - best wheels I've tried.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Campag claim it's not just a surface treatment a la Mavic Exalith and they'll stay black.
Be interesting to see some real world WW usage!

Wonder if it'll trickle down to other models. Zondas with the treatment would be superb. Probably wishful thinking though!

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

5 8 5 wrote:Campag claim it's not just a surface treatment a la Mavic Exalith and they'll stay black.
Be interesting to see some real world WW usage!

Wonder if it'll trickle down to other models. Zondas with the treatment would be superb. Probably wishful thinking though!

Not quite true.

It *is* a surface treatment *but* the benefit of hardening influences a significant depth of material on the brake tracks below the black surface coating, which is itself also extremely hard - however, road debris such as sand or small pieces of grit / stone trapped in a brake block long-term will score through the black finish.

The pro-teams have, as ever, beaten them to within an inch of their lives in racing and training and not seen any significant degradation in the braking surfaces other than that caused by the aforementioned small bit of grit etc.

We strongly recommend that brake blocks are cleaned & inspected regularly in any case - to maintain the finish on Shamal Mille / Racing Zero Nite this will also be necessary.

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

michel2 wrote:I just think there g3 spoke pattern doesn't make any sense..perhaps fullcrum will bring them with a more sensible pattern (;

G3 is more than a simple cosmetic grouping of spokes. The Mega G3 pattern allows for an almost perfectly tangential pull on the drive side of the hub (slightly less so in the previous non-Mega G3 version, admittedly), it concentrates left- and right-pulling stresses in a very small part of the rim so eliminating the tendency for a rim with sparse spoking at very high tensions to "S" slightly and it requires that the rim is not actually round before tensioning of the spokes, so utilising the rim as a more integral part of the tensioned structure. All these factors build a wheel that transmits torque more effectively than other spoking patterns.

An additional effect of G3 is in how the spoking pattern transmits loads through the spokes as the wheel rolls. If you measure the tensions in a static, loaded wheel (ie with a rider's weight on it) of conventional design, then do the same for first a 2:1 design like Fulcrum, then a G3 design, you'll see that the variation in tension between the tightest spokes in the wheel (at more or less the 7 and 5 o'clock positions), and those in the lowest tensioned spokes (those at the six o'clock position) is far less in a G3 design, with 2:1 coming between, though closer to G3 than to a conventional wheel. Less tension cycling is good both for spoke durability and subtly changes the way that stresses pass through the wheel as a whole, making for a very high degree of torsional rigidity and lateral resistance.

If you want to see the practical back-up for that, you'll need to attend a Campag G3 wheel building course with us where you can do the practical tests that demonstrate the above ...

HTH
Graeme
Head tech at Velotech Cycling Ltd, Campag Main UK ASC
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Franklin

by Franklin

graeme_f_k wrote:All these factors build a wheel that transmits torque more effectively than other spoking patterns.

Call me unconvinced. Where would the energy losses of traditionally spoked wheels go? Also, the 17% reactivity gain over the old pattern strikes me as a nonsense claim.