Crashed Reynolds Assault - damaged rim

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
Sleepless

by Sleepless

Hi guys,

Today I had a crash and broke 2 spokes on the front wheel. One of them came off with the nipple and nipple bed is damaged. Is this repairable / safe to ride?

http://imgur.com/scOxzlF,zXTGSVd#0

bombertodd

by bombertodd

It looks like a Reynolds wheel. I'd see if there are some crash replacement options.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Yes it is. They do have a lifetime crash replacement program and I just started the process. This requires shipping the wheel to Reynolds EU and get it laced to a new rim by them. I'll have to pay shipping costs and customs will be involved which makes this a very expensive process. We'll see if they'll agree on just sending me the replacement rim.

eric

by eric

I would not start on a ride with a rim like that.

Good luck with the crash replacement! Reynolds may want to receive the rim or in order to know for sure that it was damaged (an unscrupulous person could send a pic of someone else's damaged rim) and for failure analyis. They may want to see the whole wheel for the latter.

And if they guarantee the wheel they will want to build it.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

The rim has had it.

You don't give your location so I am not in a position to comment on customs charges, but note that there are times when charges are exempted or you can claim back fees.

Frankie - B
Administrator

by Frankie - B

To go around customs charges you can also offer them to saw out the damaged part with 20 cm of rim on each side.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Thanks for comments guys. I'm proceeding with RMA and Reynolds EU customer service has been very helpful so far. They'll ship the replacement rim and they even offered to throw in a few DT Aerolite spokes to get me going until I procure replacement Sapim CX-Rays (I'll have to buy internationally as no one here carries them) which I use at the moment.

I won't be dealing with the customs when sending the damaged rim to NL and postage is not expensive at all. I'll have to pay %18 tax at customs for the new rim though. €520 in total (of which €90 is postage, ugh!) is not cheap but I really like my Assaults.

Trainor6513

by Trainor6513

I may be wromg but im pretty sure if reynolds send it as a warranty replacement then customs fees are lower

Sleepless

by Sleepless

It's a discounted crash replacement rim rather than a direct warranty replacement. So there will be an invoice which is higher than €75 customs limit. I'll be paying the tax but at least I'll be replacing my wheel fast.

Reynolds customer service was very helpful and the new rim will probably be shipped tomorrow. So that makes 2 business days for submitting the case, all the e-mailing and payment. It took 2 days because I wanted to pay with credit card and only Reynolds US could process that. (Reynolds EU customer service only works with bank transfer). Reynolds EU being in NL and I being in Turkey, we had to spend 1 more day to get in contact with US representative.

Trainor6513

by Trainor6513

Thats a shame. At least you got it sorted. Now get back on the road

Sleepless

by Sleepless

Replacement rim has arrived! It wasn't cheap, but it was fast. :)

arnoudrace

by arnoudrace

Also like my Assaults very much!! Race them, so always cross my fingers for every start....
Good that you ride them again