Tubeless repair

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Miller

by Miller

I reinforced the repair with another patch on top of the first one. It's holding up fine.

choochoo46

by choochoo46

Resurrecting this thread... any advice for repairing road tubeless. I have a pinhole puncture in the sidewall of my GP 5000 TL that mostly holds with MucOff sealant at 100 psi but two days later it's dropped to 60 psi.

I've seen a bunch of tubeless patches from Panaracer, Hutchinson Rep'Air, Park Super Patch and Giant. Giant is the only one that advertises its patches for high pressure tubeless, but it's over twice the price.

I think I'm going to order the Giant version because the extra $10 spent will certainly give me more confidence to take corners at high speed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Orlok

by Orlok

Try to use shoe go shoe repair from the inside of the tire: https://www.sickboards.nl/nl/shoe-goo-z ... ume-295_ml
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

ms6073

by ms6073

choochoo46 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:22 pm
I have a pinhole puncture in the sidewall of my GP 5000 TL that mostly holds with MucOff sealant at 100 psi but two days later it's dropped to 60 psi.
Sorry for the topic drift, but I am curious why you are running such high pressures as that really defeats the advantages of running tubeless - aka lower pressure, smoother ride. Sure, back in teh day I used to inflate tubulars for TT's to 100-120 psi for really pristine road surface but rarely ran clinchers with butyl or latex tubes art more than 95-psi even on the best of road surfaces.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

alanyu

by alanyu

choochoo46 wrote:
Resurrecting this thread... any advice for repairing road tubeless. I have a pinhole puncture in the sidewall of my GP 5000 TL that mostly holds with MucOff sealant at 100 psi but two days later it's dropped to 60 psi.

I've seen a bunch of tubeless patches from Panaracer, Hutchinson Rep'Air, Park Super Patch and Giant. Giant is the only one that advertises its patches for high pressure tubeless, but it's over twice the price.

I think I'm going to order the Giant version because the extra $10 spent will certainly give me more confidence to take corners at high speed.
I have used the cheap patches designed for inner tube (need the glue) to patch the tubeless from inside without issue under 85-90 psi on smooth roads. I have never tried 100 psi though

choochoo46

by choochoo46

ms6073 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:24 pm
choochoo46 wrote:
I have a pinhole puncture in the sidewall of my GP 5000 TL that mostly holds with MucOff sealant at 100 psi but two days later it's dropped to 60 psi.
Sorry for the topic drift, but I am curious why you are running such high pressures as that really defeats the advantages of running tubeless - aka lower pressure, smoother ride. Sure, back in teh day I used to inflate tubulars for TT's to 100-120 psi for really pristine road surface but rarely ran clinchers with butyl or latex tubes art more than 95-psi even on the best of road surfaces.
I should have mentioned I inflated the tire to 100 psi to see how well the sealant would hold. I normally run the tire at 70 psi. :)

At 100 psi I'm thinking that might also simulate hitting a pothole, etc.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

choochoo46 wrote:

Use Orange Seal and not Muc-Off. Seriously. Why people use anything else at this point is truly inexplicable.

Worst case, use a DynaPlug.

My rear GP5K S TR has a puncture right above the bead. It is 100% sealed, tested at 110psi with a DynaPlug and doesn’t lose any more air than the newer front tire. In fact it holds air better because it’s a former front tire rotated to the rear and has a nice coating of Orange Seal throughout the tire already.

choochoo46

by choochoo46

Tobin: I've had good success with Muc-off and it lasts a lot longer than Orange Seal for me. I hate the hassle of taking the tire off and cleaning it, so try to keep that to six month intervals. I know you can just keep adding sealant but the ww in me never wants old sealant in the tire.

I carry Dynaplugs and would have used one except a friend had borrowed the bike, so I wasn't around when the tire got a flat. Now that the tire is back with me I've decided on a patch just for the added pyschological confidence on fast descents or in a crit, etc.

Here's one recent review of "top" sealants (where Silca took the top spot!). I'm sure you can find five different reviews with five different winners too.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tes ... ant-448797

bobones

by bobones

choochoo46 wrote:

I've been using Velox Tubeless Repair Kit and Hutchinson Rep'Air Tubless Repair Kit (MTB and Road versions) for years. They're pretty much the same, just with different sized patches, and they work equally well. The patches are like ordinary puncture repair patches but reinforced so they don't stretch and bulge. As long as the patch is sufficiently stuck to the inside of the tyre (I use two coats of cement, letting them almost dry), then the repair is very strong and permanent. I use them if I have a hole that doesn't hold with just sealant or perhaps to replace a Dynaplug repair to make it more permanent or less unsightly.

Although I've never had one of these patches fail, all that would happen would be a slow leak of air, so there is no need to be concerned about tyres blowing up/off during high speed cornering. It's also a waste of your time inflating tyres to 100 PSI just to see if the sealant holds: just inflate to normal riding pressure, and in the unlikely event it stops holding on the road, put in a Dynaplug and/or fix it when you get home.
Last edited by bobones on Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orlok

by Orlok

choochoo46 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:09 am
Tobin: I've had good success with Muc-off and it lasts a lot longer than Orange Seal for me. I hate the hassle of taking the tire off and cleaning it, so try to keep that to six month intervals. I know you can just keep adding sealant but the ww in me never wants old sealant in the tire.

I carry Dynaplugs and would have used one except a friend had borrowed the bike, so I wasn't around when the tire got a flat. Now that the tire is back with me I've decided on a patch just for the added pyschological confidence on fast descents or in a crit, etc.

Here's one recent review of "top" sealants (where Silca took the top spot!). I'm sure you can find five different reviews with five different winners too.
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tes ... ant-448797
These "top"sealant are only suitable till the pressure to 70 psi (4,8 bar) only.!!
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

choochoo46

by choochoo46

bobones wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:48 am
I've been using Velox Tubeless Repair Kit and Hutchinson Rep'Air Tubless Repair Kit (MTB and Road versions) for years. They're pretty much the same, just with different sized patches, and they work equally well. The patches are like ordinary puncture repair patches but reinforced so they don't stretch and bulge. As long as the patch is sufficiently stuck to the inside of the tyre (I use two coats of cement, letting them almost dry), then the repair is very strong and permanent. I use them if I have a hole that doesn't hold with just sealant or perhaps to replace a Dynaplug repair to make it more permanent or less unsightly.

Although I've never had one of these patches fail, all that would happen would be a slow leak of air, so there is no need to be concerned about tyres blowing up/off during high speed cornering. It's also a waste of your time inflating tyres to 100 PSI just to see if the sealant holds: just inflate to normal riding pressure, and in the unlikely event it stops holding on the road, put in a Dynaplug and/or fix it when you get home.
Thanks for sharing your experience with both Velox and Hutchinson tubeless patches. That's very helpful. I ended up ordering the Hutchinson tubeless repair kit. I'll report back my experience with those patches once I fix my tire.