Bora One 35 vs Ultra 35

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
wingguy
Posts: 3825
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

Does anyone know if there is any difference in the rims with these wheelsets or is it just the hubs? Looking at the weights and technical info from Campag it sounds like that's all it is, but the insane price difference suggests otherwise.

I find it hard to believe that Campagnolo rate a pair of carbon/ceramic Cult hubs worthy of a £1000+ premium over a set of already excellent alu/steel ones :noidea:

User avatar
ferrarista
Posts: 1671
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Canada

by ferrarista

The difference is in the hubs and the bearings. The rim is the same. Its much more expensive to do hubs in carbon than Aluminum. There is only abour 40-50 grams difference between the two. If it was me , I would buy the Bora one and later on change the bearings to the cult.
██

User avatar
dj97223
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:27 pm

by dj97223

As far as I can tell from my own research, the only difference is the hub and bearings -- the ultra hub is carbon and has the cult bearings. I just received a set of One's in Ultra Dark from Ribble. They look "really" sharp, have smooth Campag hubs, etc..
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Causidicus
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:20 am

by Causidicus

.
Last edited by Causidicus on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

wingguy
Posts: 3825
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 pm

by wingguy

Thanks guys, that's confirming what I thought but It still doesn't make sense.

Shamals with carbon hub body and USB bearings are only £150 more than Eurus' with Alu hub and steel bearings, RRP on a pair of Cult bearing kits is £160... So how on earth is the Bora Ultra 35 costing another £700 on top of that if they're saying the rims are the same (or at least, they're not saying they're different)?

I think I'm going to have to call the distributor and have a chat.

User avatar
Calnago
Posts: 6044
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:14 pm

by Calnago

Not attempting to justify Campagnolo's pricing strategy, but does that pair of bearings include the chronitec races? They would would have to be installed as well. That's one thing that sets the CULT bearings apart from a lot of other ceramic "hybrids". The hybrids may have ceramic bearings, but they're running in untreated steel races. If you're going to go with the Cult bearings, I would also make sure you have the races to match.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

User avatar
ferrarista
Posts: 1671
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Canada

by ferrarista

wingguy wrote:Thanks guys, that's confirming what I thought but It still doesn't make sense.

Shamals with carbon hub body and USB bearings are only £150 more than Eurus' with Alu hub and steel bearings, RRP on a pair of Cult bearing kits is £160... So how on earth is the Bora Ultra 35 costing another £700 on top of that if they're saying the rims are the same (or at least, they're not saying they're different)?

I think I'm going to have to call the distributor and have a chat.


It doesn't have to make sense. Campagnolo are not in business to offer the lowest prices. you gotta pay to play!

Carbon hub manufacturing like the new bora 35 is very expensive. These are not like the shamal hubs where the Alu flanges are bonded to a carbon shell. They are made in Italy where labour is much more expensive. I saw the bora ultra 35 wheels up close and they are very sexy and well made. If you don't care about that, get the bora one and save the money. You will get the same riding for less.
██

User avatar
atakaoka
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:29 am
Location: Ibiuna-SP-Brazil

by atakaoka

I belive that the main diference you will feel ,asside of hub and bearings, will be if you need to service the hub bearings.
Last edited by atakaoka on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

LionelB
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:09 pm
Location: Aix en Provence

by LionelB

Going thru the same debate, I have hyperon ultra 2 and bora ultra 2 and they are fantastic. This said I also have record hubs which I guess would be very close to the hubs on the bora one and they are good as well. The premium is difficult to justify but if you want the best it comes at a significant premium. No doubt that the One is a better value.

chiumomo
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 1:38 pm

by chiumomo

wingguy wrote:Thanks guys, that's confirming what I thought but It still doesn't make sense.

Shamals with carbon hub body and USB bearings are only £150 more than Eurus' with Alu hub and steel bearings, RRP on a pair of Cult bearing kits is £160... So how on earth is the Bora Ultra 35 costing another £700 on top of that if they're saying the rims are the same (or at least, they're not saying they're different)?

I think I'm going to have to call the distributor and have a chat.

Before you call the distributor, I want to let you know that Eurus have a heavier rim than Shamal.
And I believe the Bore one 35 have a heavier rim than Bora ultra 35 too, because carbon hub shell doesn't save much weight.
For reference , the rear hub of Bora one is 286g, and Bora Ultra 2 is 284g.

LionelB
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:09 pm
Location: Aix en Provence

by LionelB

chiumomo wrote:Before you call the distributor, I want to let you know that Eurus have a heavier rim than Shamal.
And I believe the Bore one 35 have a heavier rim than Bora ultra 35 too, because carbon hub shell doesn't save much weight.
For reference , the rear hub of Bora one is 286g, and Bora Ultra 2 is 284g.

where did you get that info ? Sounds bogus to me, the bora one and bora ultra have the same rim.

User avatar
ferrarista
Posts: 1671
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Canada

by ferrarista

chiumomo wrote:
wingguy wrote:

Before you call the distributor, I want to let you know that Eurus have a heavier rim than Shamal.
And I believe the Bore one 35 have a heavier rim than Bora ultra 35 too, because carbon hub shell doesn't save much weight.
For reference , the rear hub of Bora one is 286g, and Bora Ultra 2 is 284g.


Wrong information you got there about the bora 35. Bora one and ultra have the same rim. Even in the spare parts catalog they have the same part number.
The only difference between them is the carbon hubs and the cult bearings. The carbon hubs are about 45grams less than the Aluminum ones. Yes not that much weight saving, but they are as strong and i'm sure stiffer.
██

chiumomo
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 1:38 pm

by chiumomo

ferrarista wrote:
chiumomo wrote:
wingguy wrote:

Before you call the distributor, I want to let you know that Eurus have a heavier rim than Shamal.
And I believe the Bore one 35 have a heavier rim than Bora ultra 35 too, because carbon hub shell doesn't save much weight.
For reference , the rear hub of Bora one is 286g, and Bora Ultra 2 is 284g.


Wrong information you got there about the bora 35. Bora one and ultra have the same rim. Even in the spare parts catalog they have the same part number.
The only difference between them is the carbon hubs and the cult bearings. The carbon hubs are about 45grams less than the Aluminum ones. Yes not that much weight saving, but they are as strong and i'm sure stiffer.

Are you sure?
Bora ultra 2's hub weight:
Image
Bora one's hub weight:
Image
Last edited by chiumomo on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ferrarista
Posts: 1671
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:39 am
Location: Canada

by ferrarista

We don't see your pictures. Either way the part numbers don't lie. The replacement rims for either bora one , bora ultra 2 and bora one 35 and bora ultra 35 have the same part numbers.

Take a look.
http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp

I have not seen the hubs on their own so I cannot say exactly, but in your pics do the hubs have the same freehub body? shimano freehub are heavier since they are made of steel.
██

chiumomo
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 1:38 pm

by chiumomo

No need to quote above

photo fixed, both shimano freehub body

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post