Tubeless Conversion: Gigantex Carbon Clincher w Ultremo ZX

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
Miller

by Miller

Miller wrote:If it ever stops raining in Southern England I’ll take the bike out for a ride and see what the ride quality is like.

Didn't have to wait quite that long. Day off today and sunny so I finally had my first ever ride on tubeless. Well, first ever road ride, to be quite precise, I had tried these wheels on the rollers and been impressed how easy they were to spin up to speed.

That carries through nicely to road. These certainly help you exploit any chance of velocity offered by the terrain. In terms of comfort and feel, they're like any other good quality narrow road tyre at 100psi. I really enjoyed riding them but it was my summer best bike with my lightest wheels so why would I not have enjoyed it. The tyres are reassuringly grippy, I grounded a Keo blade pedal on a roundabout, haven't done that before. Mostly what I want from these tyres are the qualities of speed and grip combined with lack of punctures. Only time will tell on that.

As you can see, they really do inflate narrow.

tnc1970

by tnc1970

+1
I followed the steps and...it works. Shimano rs80 c50 converted to tubeless, working flawlessly (tested on couple of races). Actually the trickiest part was to find a suitable tubeless valve for a wide rim profile (length 80mm). I had to build my own valve with a standard threaded valve (you need the threading to secure the nut) and a round piece of an old tire glued to build the conical shape that will seat into the valve hole.

tnc1970

by tnc1970

Later on, I discovered that only StanNotubes has a threaded valve extender, so, this is a cleaner option if you want to avoid the DIY way

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Orange Seal sells tubeless valves in multiple lengths, so you don't have to use an extender. Saves about 2g/valve (I checked on my 60mm).
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Crockett https://goo.gl/f5PdCN
Madone 5 https://goo.gl/cMdyFo

Madone 4, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

tnc1970

by tnc1970

FIJIGabe wrote:Orange Seal sells tubeless valves in multiple lengths, so you don't have to use an extender. Saves about 2g/valve (I checked on my 60mm).

Good tip, thanks!
(apparently, they only ship to North America. I asked them for other options)

Miller

by Miller

tnc1970 wrote:+1
I followed the steps and...it works.

Glad my original post was helpful. I've been running these carbon wheels with the Ultremo ZX tubeless a few months now and I absolutely love them for their feeling of speed and responsiveness. I have discovered with these and a pair of Fusion3 tubeless however that tubeless isn't proof against sidewall cuts. Cuts are fixable properly at home but the roadside repair is to insert a conventional inner tube and that's a hassle.

Otherwise, I wish that the big tyre manufacturers would get on board with road tubeless. Presently prices are high and choice is narrow.

tnc1970

by tnc1970

Miller wrote:
tnc1970 wrote:+1
I followed the steps and...it works.

Glad my original post was helpful. I've been running these carbon wheels with the Ultremo ZX tubeless a few months now and I absolutely love them for their feeling of speed and responsiveness. I have discovered with these and a pair of Fusion3 tubeless however that tubeless isn't proof against sidewall cuts. Cuts are fixable properly at home but the roadside repair is to insert a conventional inner tube and that's a hassle.

Otherwise, I wish that the big tyre manufacturers would get on board with road tubeless. Presently prices are high and choice is narrow.

yep, choice is narrow indeed. Sourcing some Schwalbe One tubeless is kind of painful. Very few online sellers have them in stock. I managed to get some 23mm and 25mm but the 25 ones were really really difficult.