What's the consensus on carbon clinchers, seriously?

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
fogman

by fogman

My observations from the Tour of Tucker County Road Race this past weekend:
There is a 5 mile steep neutral descent to the start/staging area. This is also the final climb at the end of the race. Numerous flats on this descent to the start including one crash, at least 2 using latex tubes and carbon clinchers.
My conclusion:
Carbon Clinchers + Latex Tubes + Long Steep Descent + Prolonged Braking = Potential Failure.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

tikka

by tikka

Tour magazine ran an experiment last year with Reynolds, Zipp, DT Swiss, Campag, Mavic (hybrid) carbon clinchers simulating an alpine descent, with system weight of 100kg. From memory it consisted of 5 moderate braking events of 5 seconds each, followed by five hard events of 7 seconds, and ended with an emergency stop from full speed.

Only the Campag and Mavic rims came through unscathed.

I don't remember full details and have no link to it so take with a big grain of salt. In any event the suggestion was that all were OK for general flat and rolling hills, but caution was advised in the most extreme conditions.

fogman

by fogman

I just finished reading this article and it reminded me of this thread.
https://intheknowcycling.com/2016/05/22 ... ke-wheels/
The author asserts that the current generation carbon clinchers are manufactured with higher temperature resins that improve the safety of the wheels. And the newer brake pads are designed to help dissipate the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

forum04pl

by forum04pl

fogman wrote:I just finished reading this article and it reminded me of this thread.
https://intheknowcycling.com/2016/05/22 ... ke-wheels/
The author asserts that the current generation carbon clinchers are manufactured with higher temperature resins that improve the safety of the wheels. And the newer brake pads are designed to help dissipate the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a pretty neat read, although even with the improvements in the newer generation wheels it seems there are still reports of failure fairly consistently with people who ride in fairly technical climb/decent areas. I can never seem to get a straight answer out of people riding different makes around here... :roll: