Tubular Glue Removal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

In between Holiday cooking I'm removing (downstairs in my office) tubular glue from a rim. So far, the best way is with a small radius wood carving tool. Millimeter by millimeter. Haven't found a better way. It's tedious, yet, remarkably therapeutic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Wrüth gasket remover :thumbup:

sungod

by sungod

schwalbe tub glue remover...

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k374/a ... ml?mfid=78

...it's a gel, spread over the whole glued area, leave 30-40 minutes, wipe clean, almost odourless, no warnings of nasty chemicals

one tube will do two rims, maybe three with frugal application

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try anything with a low toxicity index. I wonder if you can get the Schwabe Glue Remover shipped to the US?

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Wrüth is not low toxic.. It gets the job done in a few min.
Don't get it on paint, decals human flesh..
But it's extremely effective :shock:

Guerdi

by Guerdi

I for one use some kind of organic white spirit.

I let it sit for 1 night and the rim is new again. It works so well it's impressive. It's a very effective method, but you'll have to wait at least 24 hours to see some results.

I remove glue of my tubular wheelsets only once a year.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I might try some of that Schwalbe remover. Seems like a good solution considering it takes me about 40-45 minutes to do both wheels using Goof Off and Acetone.

What a hassle that method is.

Just putting that stuff on, let it sit and wipe it off. Then use some acetone to clean it real well, sounds like a winning solution to me.

Can't find this anywhere in the US though....only Euro with $30 shipping charges on top of the $11/tube.

trilocus

by trilocus

i use schwalbe glue remover and works very well

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

There is a youtube video I recall showing a pro team mechanic doing some tubular work. Of course, they have crazy high volume, so they get pretty proficient.

He used the knife method to strip the old glue off as well. He just got it smoother and the bigger stuff off, then went at it kind of slopping the new stuff on liberally.

I've tried this method with Vittoria Mastik glue, it would never come off worth crap. I always had to go at it with Goof Off and Acetone always.

sungod

by sungod

white spirit will take off vm glue, just not as easily/cleanly as the schwalbe gel

in the past i've also used white gas from my old climbing stove, you really need to avoid sparks/static with that stuff!

i've seen reports that citrus degreaser will do it, haven't tried it but could be an option if you can't get the schwalbe at a reasonable price in usa

acetone flashes off too fast to be effective for bulk glue removal, i save it for final degreasing once all the glue is off

nfecyle

by nfecyle

Schwalne glue remover is the best i have tried. Apply liberaly, wait for 30 min, wipe or use pressure wash, and done. I have used acetone, hexane, gasoline, goo gone off, all pain.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

What works:

- plain diesel/petrol.
- white spirit (Stoddard solvent in the USA)
- Schwalbe Glue remover
- some of the other stuff mentioned I suppose which is generally more expensive than the above.

What does not work (or hardly):

-Acetone (way too volatile). No idea why this keeps popping up, it was only mentioned as a means to degrease cleaned or brand new rims to remove any mold release agents or, in my case, the greasy/oily residues of petrol based products.

You need some cotton rags, elbow grease, a lot of patience to let the product do the work for you.
All of this stuff is toxic so wear nitrile gloves.
Having a wheel truing stand helps too.

Mastik One responds well to petrol, Conti glue better to White Spirit etc.

Oh, that butter knife is used to scrape to top of the rim bed clean off old bit and pieces of cement when the mechanic put a new layer on top of an existing one.
I've never seen a mechanic remove old layers of cement off a rim, never. There's just no need to.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

dual

by dual

This:

http://www.tufo.com/rim-cleaner/

works really well not only removing residues of Tufo tape, but also classic tub glue.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dual

by dual

Yeah, like other chemicals capable of solving glue, paint etc. Better not mix it into a drink... :beerchug: