Loudest freehub?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GS100

by GS100

Yes absolutely, simple physics. Things like noise, heat etc is energy generated from friction and lost, ie not propelling you forwards.[/quote]
Simple physics if the amount of noise could tell you how much heat and friction was being generated, but it doesn't. The two things are not intrinsically linked.

Imagine two disc brake bikes riding side by side. One has rotors that are running almost silent, the other howls like a banshee every time the levers are pulled. Which one would you bet has better stopping power? :wink:
[/quote]

Lol yes but control all variables - one hub is noisy the other is not but in other respects identical - the noisy hub is less efficient 'fo sure!

GS100

by GS100

Eggyeggs wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:45 am
Can I absolutely derail this thread and ask the opposite,
Whats the quietest hub out there? :D
quietest I've experienced - old shimano rs80 c24. I think it's ultegra level

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

GS100 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:01 pm
Lol yes but control all variables - one hub is noisy the other is not but in other respects identical - the noisy hub is less efficient 'fo sure!
If all else is equal, why would one be quieter than the other? If you can explain what causes the noise or lack thereof in the otherwise equal setups, then we can have a better idea if the noise is a sign of efficiency losses. Thing is, the reason hubs sound different is because all else is not equal and therefore we can't assume noisier hubs are less efficient in real comparisons.

On another note, I'm glad to see i9 Torch mentioned as a loud one. I ride without a bell/horn on my road bike. Sold a wheelset and threw on my wife's, which is much quieter. Never realized how much I rely on the hub to notify people of my approach. Luckily the new pair will have Torch hubs :mrgreen:

Karvalo

by Karvalo

GS100 wrote:
A) That's impossible.

B) That's not what we're talking about.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

GS100 wrote:

100% fill a cartridge bearing with NLGI2 grease and it's silent. Leave it completely dry and it's noisier. Which is more efficient? Slather the same marine grease on one bicycle chain and use paraffin wax on the other. Which is louder? Which is more efficient?

Which freehub ratchet is more efficient, the one that sounds like a buzzsaw, but each "tick" is lower volume, or the freehub driver with lower engagement, but the each tick higher volume?

GS100

by GS100

I've derailed this thread with a minor aside, sorry!

In the real world I know that other factors might mean that a noisy hub might be more efficient than a quieter but I was meerly making the point that physics does state that things like noise, heat, light etc are by-products of friction. (kinetic energy to vibrational energy to noise). I realise I've chosen the wrong place to have a theoretical discussion though!

Karvalo

by Karvalo

GS100 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:47 pm
I realise I've chosen the wrong place to have a theoretical discussion though!
Then maybe next time someone asks you to clarify whether you're saying that in reality loud hubs are less efficient and you say 'yes absolutely', instead say 'no'. That would probably help get your point across more accurately :wink:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

GS100 wrote:

In the real world I know that other factors might mean that a noisy hub might be more efficient than a quieter but I was meerly making the point that physics does state that things like noise, heat, light etc are by-products of friction. (kinetic energy to vibrational energy to noise). I realise I've chosen the wrong place to have a theoretical discussion though!

And you forgot that sound has to transfer through media and there is also a time component. So it's entire possible for a freehub to be generating less sound energy, but the rest of the hub absorbs less of it. Louder also does not mean more energy if lower frequency.

charirider

by charirider

GS100 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:04 am
charirider wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:49 am
My Reynolds AR29X has insanely loud freehub, on pair with Tune mag 170 and DT Swiss 54T with oil!
Holy thread ressurrection! :D

FWIW Tune hubs no longer so loud IME - the MAG170 I built up last year on campag is much quieter than the 3T I also have as another set.
Just remove factory grease and run them with Easton light freehub hub grease or dry. You're warned.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

charirider

by charirider

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:53 pm
GS100 wrote:

And you forgot that sound has to transfer through media and there is also a time component. So it's entire possible for a freehub to be generating less sound energy, but the rest of the hub absorbs less of it. Louder also does not mean more energy if lower frequency.

charirider

by charirider

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:53 pm
GS100 wrote:

Maybe I am loosing 1-2Watts because of my 54T DT Swiss lightly greased ratchets, but loud freehub is essential for riding in Japanese mountains to avoid collisions with animals, and there are plenty of them; so far, I almost "catched" a raccoon (tanuki), a deer and an ape's family. Almost lost control on a wet descent with the monkeys - they scared a shit of me.

MilesG813

by MilesG813

Wow I never thought about loud free hubs as an animal warning system. And here I thought dealing with squirrels running into my path was bad, I could not imagine having to dodge troops of monkeys, lol.
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Quietest hub? Shimano XT 8100 XT https://bike.shimano.com/en-AU/product/ ... 110-B.html

Properly greased up so that it doesn't creak like a banshee under load (first batch 2 years ago left the factory with *no* grease in the plastic spider bush assembly) it is completely silent. Like, no noise whatsoever. Ever.

It's great on the singletrack. I can hear the birds singing, and even better I can hear myself think.

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Quietest hub? Shimano XT 8100 XT https://bike.shimano.com/en-AU/product/ ... 110-B.html

Properly greased up so that it doesn't creak like a banshee under load (first batch 2 years ago left the factory with *no* grease in the plastic spider bush assembly) it is completely silent. Like, no noise whatsoever. Ever.

It's great on the singletrack near where I live. I can hear the birds singing, and even better I can hear myself think. :)