BHS SL190 rear hub -- too light?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

It should be noted - for posterity of this thread - that the user formerly known as 'AlexH' has changed his name to 'Devon'.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

prendrefeu wrote:It should be noted - for posterity of this thread - that the user formerly known as 'AlexH' has changed his name to 'Devon'.

I have indeed, It was done to prevent further upset/disagreement from the use of my actual name. Note: I have also removed my name from the signature. I hope you are less offended.
Last edited by Devon on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yes, I am.
Thanks.

Sincerely: still waiting on your claims, however. I would like to see some veracity in your claims, as stated in this thread. Thanks in advance.

Devon

by Devon

Get over it buddy, this conversation ended a long time ago. I'm sure the OP is fed up of your petty argument by now.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I just think it's a bit poor form to go about life perpetuating false statements and, instead of either presenting some kind of evidence to support one's claims or being an adult and admitting that you stated false information (which is a perfectly human thing to do and won't make you any less of a person), changing the subject and making poor attempts to shuttle the conversation away from one's own integrity amongst peers.

Because inevitably someone will find this thread, see a blanket statement of 'light-weight components having negative affect on grip' and the false information gets perpetuated further (unless, of course, they continue reading the thread and find that you never backed up your claims) or you produced some form of evidence to your claims, however anecdotal, that would counter the arguments which have been laid against your claim.

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

Devon wrote:I was basing my point on multiple reports/reviews of ultra light wheelsets giving negative performance and resulting in effects as I listed such as poor grip and skipping on rough surfaces.

Very basic physics will also tell you that a rotating part which is 'too light' will also be unable to maintain a rotation for as long under certain operational conditions. Take for example lightweight flywheels in race cars - when fitted to a road car they give negative performance as the RPM drops too low between gear changes as the weight of the part is too low to maintain momentum. It makes sense for this theory to carry over to a wheel. Although obviously this would apply more to the rim/spokes, some effect from the hub would be present.

I also imagine that something again too lightweight could be more susceptible to uneven weightings provided by tubes/tyres/valves.

Who is this ignorant person who knows nothing about racecars? Last I checked they never tried to put the same compression ratio or timing advance into the road car which is would be needed for a accurate comparison. not to mention about a 500 hp difference. Also "certain operational conditions" is no where near specific enough. The lower the MOI the better the performance...PERIOD. better acceleration and deceleration. Trying to achieve some type of flywheel effect on a bicycle is just plain dumb. The amount of increased braking, and watts expended to accelerate said heavier system would just be...unnecessary. Your understanding is flawed, your hypothesis is wrong, and your argument is completely broken. Happy trails
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

SDP

by SDP

Really enjoyed,this thread.....not laughed so much in ages.....

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Stefano

by Stefano

Lol. Note to self- never mess with prendrefeu, cuz he's probably right and you will be embarrassed :lol:

On topic (finally) I actually came up on this while I was googling/ thinking about buying these hubs- anybody tried them out since this topic started/ they came out? I'm not worried, Brandon has had great product in my experience, but I am a sprinter, and things break sometimes...

Thanks!

Stefano

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I have a set of wheels built with these and I love them......aside from the speed wobble and the loss of grip, that is :smartass:

Stefano

by Stefano

Yikes! Is your moment of inertia off too?? :sarcasm: Criteriums were getting too easy anyways, looking forward to the challenge!!

Definitely the biggest question now is what color to get, hmmmm, decisions...

Thanks!

Stefano

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I did white, with a mix of black/white CXRays :thumbup:

Stefano

by Stefano

Wow, what a stunner!! You should open a topic in the introduce yourself forum if you haven't already, I'd like to hear more :) Also, nice house!!

Although, because it is the norm and accepted social custom in this forum...
1) Looks like your seat is pointing down
2) FSA crankset? Bleh

:D

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Seat is pointing down because of the stand, and it now has Hollowgrams :wink:

Stefano

by Stefano

Nice 8) Look out, criteriums!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓