Mavic R-Sys wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MavicZack
in the industry

by MavicZack

Hi FJ, if the Exalith coating is wearing off, that could be a warranty. It depends on how long you've had them and what are the conditions. Unfortunately the coating can not be re applied. Check with your Mavic dealer and discuss with them.

verycreativeusername, I did weigh one of the rims and it's just under 400g.

hope you all are well! -zack
USA Communications Guy
Mavic, Inc.
http://www.mavic.com
http://www.facebook.com/mavic

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Hi Guys,

Sorry for a bit of a grave dig but can't really find an answer to my question anywhere, I have the opportunity to purchase some Mavic R-SYS SLR for a very decent price second hand and have some questions about the year model and rates of wear. Is there a simple way of identifying the year of production? Would love to know for sure if these were exalith 1 or 2? In addition am I right in assuming that if a rim were to have the durability problems that some of the 2012 models did it would have been apparent by now? The brake track is a lighter shade of grey than the rest of the rim and appears to be in good shape. There is a little colour loss in places but that looks to be more knicks caused by debris than some of the issues I have seen.

If the coating wears off is it more aesthetic? Would they still function properly?

Cheers for any info

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slagter

by Slagter

Not sure, but AFAIK the different year/models have different weights....

Off topic; but FYI that wheelset is an aero catastrophe....

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Thanks - not that fussed about aero qualities, looking more for a stiff, lightish, all round good riding wheel for general duties. This is to replace a set of Fulcrum Zeros which I loved. Just concerned about the possibility of having a dud brake track.

wingguy

by wingguy

I'm not 100% sure but the second gen exalith R-sys also had some visible milling in the side of the rim and I think the first gen didn't.

That said, I know price would make a big difference but the new 4D rim shape is simply beautiful, and the new wheelset is not only lighter but 'looks' like it's be much more aero and much better in crosswinds too...

Racing2

by Racing2

Anyone ever used Exalith pads on standard alu rims? season is starting now over here and there is always the chance in getting somebody else his wheel and of course I a) don't want to ruin the wheel and b) be in an peloton with no stopping power.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Braking not as good, as the Exalith pads are a harder compound.

Racing2

by Racing2

Shifter bust and had to swith to team back-up bike. No time to change brake pads but did switch the wheels. Turns out crappy exalith breaking works better with standard Shinano brake pads for Alu.

yth1691

by yth1691

Thx

ross

by ross

You might get better stopping power but it will be at the expense of accelerated pad wear rate and the softer compound is also more likely to pick up shards of alu which will wear through the exalith coating. Stick with the recommended pads tbh

kavitator

by kavitator

How is with spoke replacment on this wheels?

I remove one damaged spoke on front wheel - when unscrew nipple complete spoke must rotate - well here it stuck with hub and complete spoke is in pieces.
I hope new one will rotate with nipple wrench (which i hope i get it) - shitty design :x

How can be tension adjusted on these spokes? Mavic said 70-90kg for front. I have parktool and wheelfanatyk tensiometer.