Why do people hate TUFO tubulars?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DHG01

by DHG01

Riding the S33 should definitely be tax deductible.
The S3 is quite different, with a much higher TPI count. I don't think it is worse than Gatorskins. Both far off from Corsa's or Veloflex.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trainingpartner

by trainingpartner

CarpetFibre wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:09 pm
For keeping flats at bay I find Continental Sprinters to be great. They're really cheap and I've never managed to flat one. I run them at lower pressures 90F/100R and they don't roll so bad.

For my nice wheels and nice days it's Veloflex - no compromise. Veloflex Sprinters are the finest tubs I've ridden and I always have them on my Lightweights.
I have found this to be the case too! (They are fitted to my bike) I like competitions too but as you get complacent with no punctures the hunger for speed drives you to seek something just that little faster! Think I'll stay here though tbh! a tubular puncture is something like 9 minutes slower than not having one! lol

trainingpartner

by trainingpartner

CarpetFibre wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:09 pm
For keeping flats at bay I find Continental Sprinters to be great. They're really cheap and I've never managed to flat one. I run them at lower pressures 90F/100R and they don't roll so bad.

For my nice wheels and nice days it's Veloflex - no compromise. Veloflex Sprinters are the finest tubs I've ridden and I always have them on my Lightweights.
I have found this to be the case too! (They are fitted to my bike) I like competitions too but as you get complacent with no punctures the hunger for speed drives you to seek something just that little faster! Think I'll stay here though tbh! a tubular puncture is something like 9 minutes slower than not having one! lol

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

I like the sprinters too! I've done a ton of dry crits on them too and they're solid.

cveks

by cveks

Sprinters are very bad for rain... I have them...

cveks

by cveks

Denavelo wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:30 pm
cveks wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:26 pm
I was riding Vittoria Corsa tubs. Flatted twice. Than I switched to Tufo S33 Pro and never regreted. They run great and never flat... I never had flat tire. I also add some sealant inside it for no worry. And it works great.

I dont worry about wattage loss . I still get pretty decent number of KOM's with them. What other guys should say ?
Race car teams don't build race cars and run stock manufacture tires. Tufo tires ride like crap, and I started out riding Tufo Elite, etc.. Switched to Veloflex and never looked back. Better Feel, Rolling, Puncture resistance, etc. I wish people would say they like riding Tufo tires because it's a cheap option to Ride tubulars. The price point is the only reason someone can justify running Tufo tires. Ride a Veloflex Pro Tour, then ride a Tufo S33 back to back. The ride feel is entirely different.

Did not ride Veloflex Pro Tour but I did Vittoria Corsa and Vittoria Corsa Speed. They are great tires, very low rolling resistance, but very sensitive tires. And its not pleasant to change tub in middle of nowhere 50-60kms from home thats why I ride Tufo S33 Pro. It is bullet proof almost 2 years for me.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

You can cut a Tufo the same way you can cut a Veloflex.... All tires regardless of manufacture can puncture to render you stranded. Tufo will cut over glass just like a Veloflex would...

Corsa Speed tires were marketed with little to no puncture protection, for TT races.. Choose your tires wisely.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

+1 @Denavelo.
Add to this that life's just too short to ride crappy tyres.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

cveks

by cveks

Denavelo wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:23 pm
You can cut a Tufo the same way you can cut a Veloflex.... All tires regardless of manufacture can puncture to render you stranded. Tufo will cut over glass just like a Veloflex would...

Corsa Speed tires were marketed with little to no puncture protection, for TT races.. Choose your tires wisely.
My personal experience tells otherwise. Simply when you take tubular expensive tire in hand you notice how thin its puncture belt is . I agree that it gives better splushy more comfortable ride but there is price for that - bad puncture protection comparing with Tufo S33 Pro tires. With Tufo S33 Pro it is much much better. I add sealant into every tire now and that saves me from punctures . Last time I had puncture was clincher tire after I forgot to add sealant to inner tube 2 monthsa ago.

I run Tufo S33 Pro tubulars on my main training bike or more than 1 year without single puncture and sir, I ride bike on some very bad bad roads.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,
Simply when you take tubular expensive tire in hand you notice how thin its puncture belt is .
It's not the thickness of the anti-puncture belt that defines how well the tyre is protected against punctures, it's how it's made and of what it consists that does.
That said it's always a compromise of a number of things, is it not ?

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Arph

by Arph

UpFromOne wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:41 am
As was said long ago, Friends don't let friends ride Tufo.
We can close that Tufo topic now, nothing to add :)

Marin

by Marin

A friend who has my old Road Logic (with Turbo Cottons/Latex on EIE SL wheels!) got a set of Zipp Tubs with Tufo Elites because he thinks they're "fast".

I did my usual indoor car park rolldown test when he asked me to adjust something on the bike for him, and the Tufos roll a bit slower than my 35mm Gravelkings, and about half as far as Turbo Cottons :shock: :shock: :shock:

petromyzon

by petromyzon

The tubeless tubular construction has a lot of merit now that sealant is so commonplace - Dugast and Challenge seem to be the only other vendors but I'm not sure who was first.

However, it's completely pointless to run a tubular that has literally double the rolling resistance of competitors. Like rolling around with a baggy jacket on all the time!

I use a Jet tubular as a spare and that is fantastic with respect to pack size.