Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Jugi

by Jugi

shamrock134 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:03 pm
So explain to me objectively why you ride tubs exclusively, please.
I’m quite exclusive to tubulars as well. In my opinion they offer:
- Best riding feel
- Lightest wheelset and tire combinations
- No major safety concerns if disaster strikes (fast puncture at high speed)
- No reason to worry about rims heating up innertubes to the point of explosion during continuous rim braking.

They are more laboursome to work on than clinchers, but I’m not too bothered about that. One thing I have learnt is that a single tubular wheelset cannot be your only wheelset. When done properly, changing a tubular tire always takes considerably more than 15 minutes. That unexpected slow puncture will most likely show up when you have less than 15 minutes to do something about it.

Truing wheels with hidden nipples is the only time I feel like tubulars are too much to work on. It is such a pain to pull a perfectly good tire from the rim just to work on the nipples.

sungod

by sungod

calleking wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:21 pm
I went for a ride on CLX64s with Corsa G+ 25mm tubs a week ago. I normally run Enve 4.5s with Power Comps and latex tubes. I was actually disappointed as I expected the ride to be much comfier but it was actually the opposite. Pressures were right for my weight. I can see the point of tubs since they are lighter and more safe but the comfort argument must be a thing of the past. Modern wide clinchers paired with quality tyres and latex tubes are so good these days.

Are the Corsa G+ considered harsh compared to say Veloflex?
corsa g+ ride is similar to veloflex, if they are not feeling good i would guess there is something else involved...

this thread has a comment about the clx64s feeling harsh compared to another wheelset
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 4&start=15

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shamrock134

by shamrock134

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:02 pm
When I go out on tubs I have one or two spare tubs under the saddle. Sealant does not always work. I have a gatorskin tub where sealant has not worked. The tub now is not repairable due to the sealant. I won't be using sealant in tubs again.
Two spare tubs? There goes your weight savings. :lol:

audioblazer

by audioblazer

shamrock134 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:07 pm
bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:02 pm
When I go out on tubs I have one or two spare tubs under the saddle. Sealant does not always work. I have a gatorskin tub where sealant has not worked. The tub now is not repairable due to the sealant. I won't be using sealant in tubs again.
Two spare tubs? There goes your weight savings. :lol:
Static weight of the 2 spare tubs hardly make any difference to the ride but moving mass of the lighter tubular wheelset , big difference to the ride quality & speed

shamrock134

by shamrock134

audioblazer wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Static weight of the 2 spare tubs hardly make any difference to the ride but moving mass of the lighter tubular wheelset , big difference to the ride quality & speed
We'll see.

I've just taken delivery of some Veloflex Carbons and have some tubular rims on the way from China.

Looking forward to seeing if you lot are right or just delusional. :D

IchDien

by IchDien

A quick question...how do I add liquid sealant to a tub if it has a valve extender?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

IchDien wrote:A quick question...how do I add liquid sealant to a tub if it has a valve extender?
Well, you have to have the type of extender which relocates the valve core at the end of the extender. You can’t use those types that are just a long tube over top of the existing valve core where you just leave the valve core open way down inside. I would never want to use those anyway.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

IchDien

by IchDien

OK, thanks!

shamrock134

by shamrock134

Tubs arrived. They won't see tarmac until next Spring so I've got plenty of time for gluing. Seems I only had one valve extender so just the rear inflated and stretching at the moment.

Veloflex Carbon tyres, CSC 38mm/25mm UD matte rims, Edhub hubs, 1250g without skewers.

Wookski

by Wookski

shamrock134 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:03 pm
So explain to me objectively why you ride tubs exclusively, please.
There are 47 pages full of valuable information ready for you to review :lol: I cannot add anything that hasn’t already been said.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Wookski wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:16 am
There are 47 pages full of valuable information ready for you to review :lol: I cannot add anything that hasn’t already been said.
:thumbup:

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

shamrock134

by shamrock134

Wookski wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:16 am
I'd already read the entire thread before I posted. As you can see, I'm going to try them for myself to form my own opinion rather than rely on anecdotes from people who can't even explain why they do/use something.

The level of hyperbole, smugness and delusion when it comes to tubulars is frankly fascinating.:lol:

Wookski

by Wookski

shamrock134 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:59 am
I'm going to try them for myself to form my own opinion
Congratulations, that’s the spirit!

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

New to tubulars, been using for a couple of months

Main thing I’ve noticed is how much my descending has improved...
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

biwa

by biwa

New to tubular, about to mount the first pair. Any recommendation about which shop I should go in SF to get them properly glued? Thx