Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Geoff

by Geoff

Short answer is 'yes'. I actually like running 23/25 front/rear.

In the 'early days' of deep rim bed tubulars, I got some wheels and prototype tires from Pro Tour friends with a warning: with the new rim bed depth, they were eperiencing pinch-flats on the rear. Accordingly, I was advised to run 25s out back. They had aome prototype Conti Comp 25s, which I am still running.

SInce then, I have found that I actually don't mind running 23/25. I don't really like the 'feel' of 25s, so it is a nice compromise with deep aero rims.

addictR1

by addictR1

I’m getting the set delivered this weekend so I’ll measure it.

If it’s 28mm at brake track I was thinking maybe to use 25c Veloflex

But that’s a good point about running 23/25 rear. I’m about 72Kg so maybe 25c rear will provide more traction, faster maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Maybe its just me, but I find that the larger tubulars 'feel' slower around centre and the steering is less precise. Without 'cross or Paris-Roubaix-like geometry, they just seem too tall on the front. It almost feels like 'falling-over', its hard to describe. Anyways, I prefer the 23s, even though I know that they are slower...

addictR1

by addictR1

Geoff, I like the 23mm as well. But with the DA C40 @ 28mm wide, not sure if the veloflex Carbon 23mm tub would provide enough coverage if I glue it.

With tape.. tufo tape only goes up to 22mm wide so probably will have a lot not contacting the 28mm rim.

sungod

by sungod

put a 23 on dry, see what it looks like, also check how the rim bed profile matches

addictR1

by addictR1

Well I mounted my spar carbon 23 on the aero72, so I could still ride while waiting to get my basetape glued up on the sprinter tub.

With the sprinter on the C40 it looks flush, but couldn’t pump it up to the fullest as I’m also waiting for valve extender to arrive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geoff

by Geoff

Hope it goes well. As an aside, I always recommend using valve extenders that are installed between the valve stem and the valve core, versus the type of extender that requires the valve to be threaded over an open valve core, which is not a good solutuon for obvious reasons.

addictR1

by addictR1

well turns out the C40 was not a new set. seller listed it as brand new take off.. but front wheel brake track was worn in and rear wheel had a crack between the joining pieces of CF where it's deep enough my finger nail can fit into. so it's going back and getting a full refund... :(

was really hoping to use this as my all around wheelset on my TMR02... the quest continues for a good deal since i don't have deep pockets... :(

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

Prior to tubulars, I had used many different clincher wheelsets with quality tires and tubes. The last clinchers I used were Zonda C17 with Veloflex Corsa 25mm tires. I started using tubulars about 4 months ago - Corima Aero wheels with Vittoria Rally 23mm tires. I chose the inexpensive tubulars as a test; I was concerned about gluing technique and somehow mucking up an expensive tire. Cleanup of the rims with acetone was no problem. I created a minor mess mounting the first tire, but I did much better on the second. I used Mastik One as recommended on this forum, although I was a little impatient on letting the thin coats dry. A bit more patience would have resulted in less cleanup. Also, I could use some more practice in getting the basetape even all around, though I'm not sure whether it was straight on the tire in the first place.

So, the ride...maybe it's partly the Corima wheels or confirmation bias, etc. - but the 23mm Rally tubulars feel better* than 25mm Veloflex clinchers on the Zondas or my older 38mm Farsports clinchers. (*) Smoother, more comfortable, and each ride feels special in a tubular kind of way. That's a little crazy, given these are very inexpensive tires, with a somewhat noticeable hop, and butyl inner tubes. So, I'm not asking too many questions at present, just enjoying the ride. I've got some Dugast tires hanging in the garage, but I'll wait until I've worn out the honeymoon effect on these Vittorias. I can't see going back to clinchers any time soon. Ask me again once I've had a puncture. Thanks to all for the great info on this forum.

kgt

by kgt

Rally are cheap tubulars, indeed, but their ride quality is very good for some reason I cannot imagine. IME better than other, much more expensive tubulars.

addictR1

by addictR1

Tell me more about these rally tubular. Do you need to pre stretch before mounting and easy to mount straight? How’s the grip and durability against flats?

Was looking for a 23 front and 25 rear. How’s the ride with rally 25mm?

Thanks!

Geoff

by Geoff

We used to use Vittoria Rally as training tires, as they were cheaper than CX and CGs. They were a lot nicer than the Barums that we used before we moved to the 'big-time'. You still need to stretch them, as the basetape is still the same really stiff Vittoria tape as on the race tires. The casings are made with much more coarse threads, so they are pretty stiff too.

One practise point, don't stretch them like we used to in the 'old days' (i.e., looping them around your foot, then pulling up hard - I have torn the casing on some Rally tires that way. That works on CX and CG tires, as the casings are stronger. Though they are still stretching tires like that in the Pro Tour, I would not recommend that to people today who are paying good money for those tires).

I only ever used nominal Rally 22s (which are really more like 23s), so I have no experience with the 25s. The 22s had a nice, conventional tread and rode ok. They usually lasted a long time, although I will say that we have really good conditions for tubulars, so flats are rare if you are keeping your head up, which is why I usually rode the Vittoria All-Weather for training tires, which are much nicer. Interestingly, I have one of Tafi's Mapei bikes which have an old set of Ambrosio Nemesis 32s which he had shod with...Vittoria Rallys!

atakaoka

by atakaoka

Never heard Rally having 25s.found It.

Sorry about that.never looked up for this tires.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

Jaspero

by Jaspero

First A race done with the Tubs, had to dodge a crash so already have a flat patch on the rear tire.
Also first real ride with the CCU's.
Felt like a pro :-)

In the end, the transition was not hard to make.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

Thanks Geoff! I’ll be sure to stretch them on my alloy rim.

I’ve only asked about the Rally in 25 cuz my Aero72 are 26.x wide and currently using sprinter 22 which makes me worry when I go over bumps or small potholes.

I know all said 25 rolls faster than 23.. so figure I could run 25c back and 23 front.