Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
beanbiken

by beanbiken

I haven’t had to remove a tire as yet so haven’t experienced cleaning up the dried out crap. I know cleaning it of the brake track is a real issue. Acetone has been mentioned on these boards as a solution which I will give a try next time.....
BB

Coffee & carbon

KCookie

by KCookie

beanbiken wrote:I haven’t had to remove a tire as yet so haven’t experienced cleaning up the dried out crap. I know cleaning it of the brake track is a real issue. Acetone has been mentioned on these boards as a solution which I will give a try next time.....
My excess glue came off the brake track ok with acetone. Dont use water as they suggest though, turns into a white sticky gooey mess. Learnt my lesson there mate.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Let's see how these go. Image

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

KCookie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:35 am
Certainly did.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
You are a wonderful man, not even Vittoria could tell me how to remove the stuff!

addictR1

by addictR1

Nefarious86 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:45 pm
Let's see how these go. Image

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
those will go super fast... ;)

Catagory6

by Catagory6

Zoro wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:01 am
sungod wrote:yep, that's the downside of latex tubes

in prep for long rides i tend to over-inflate a bit on the basis they'll lose some
You can put about a thimble full of talc powder in (use a dry Stans bottle). That will greatly reduce air loss.
does talc powder have any interaction with sealants.
seems like it would get gummed up

Catagory6

by Catagory6

Mep wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:32 pm
KCookie wrote:Both my Lightweights are taped, but my AXs have been glued by the LBS. Today I ordered some glue to try the process myself as I had a puncture and need to change the tyre. To be honest I'm looking forward to it, so many guys on here have explained to me how to do it that it really doesn't seem to difficult. Let's be honest this is WW and gluing is lighter. I want to be in the gang to.
Don't forget tape has higher rolling resistance too. Good decision :)
i haven't gotten farther than this in the thread, but can someone explain how tape has more RR than glue?

Zoro

by Zoro

Catagory6 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:10 pm
Zoro wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:01 am
sungod wrote:yep, that's the downside of latex tubes

in prep for long rides i tend to over-inflate a bit on the basis they'll lose some
You can put about a thimble full of talc powder in (use a dry Stans bottle). That will greatly reduce air loss.
does talc powder have any interaction with sealants.
seems like it would get gummed up
Sorry, been gone for a long time. I have no idea. I'd think you are correct. Th eStans bottle was meant to be after it was cleaned out and dried. This is a trick from reducing air loss on "dry" tubulars. Some are pretty thin and will lose on a long ride.
Different brands hold air better than others as there may some variation from tyre to tyre.

Zoro

by Zoro

Catagory6 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:08 am
Mep wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:32 pm
KCookie wrote:Both my Lightweights are taped, but my AXs have been glued by the LBS. Today I ordered some glue to try the process myself as I had a puncture and need to change the tyre. To be honest I'm looking forward to it, so many guys on here have explained to me how to do it that it really doesn't seem to difficult. Let's be honest this is WW and gluing is lighter. I want to be in the gang to.
Don't forget tape has higher rolling resistance too. Good decision :)
i haven't gotten farther than this in the thread, but can someone explain how tape has more RR than glue?
RR = rolling Resistance?

Think of tape as a cussion/shock absorber. Ever rotation the tire absorbs a wee bit of speed. A loose glue job will do this too, as will that older tackier glues. What you want (on a smoother road) is no movement between tyre and rim. In a cx, cobble thing, somtimes the harder glue/cement would break and crack on a hit. It was better to have something tacky that would re-bond. It is also better to have tack if you are doing an on-the-road replacement. Typical tubulars on typical paved roads - just glue well, Mastic One is pretty good.

Zoro

by Zoro

beanbiken wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:54 am
I haven’t had to remove a tire as yet so haven’t experienced cleaning up the dried out crap. I know cleaning it of the brake track is a real issue. Acetone has been mentioned on these boards as a solution which I will give a try next time.....
Lacquer thinner will generally work better. Naphtha works the best, but then you have to get the Naphtha off - with Lacquer thinner or Acetone. It is oily and will melt the glue into a sticky coating on the rim. It will also take the tread off your tires. Both are pretty hazardous and not sold in all areas.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Got out a bike with tubs today. even conti gator skin tubs are nice to ride on. Now the bike with dugasts, oh that a joy.

Mastik one is the only glue for road/CX/MTB use. I have yet to find better and easier to use.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Talking glue tape, Effetto Mariposa is really thick. Easiest would be (if we consider least amount resido on rim bead) a tape that glue on to the rim side, using regular glue towards the tire. Or if there is such a tape that really sticks to all tires?
I have used Tufo a few years ago, it worked well. Worst with tubulars and using glue.
1. Clean the rims!
2. Using sealant when puncture appears. Sealants doesn't cope well with Co2.
Risk is it doesn't work at all :-(
3. Remove old tire and mount a new one (to get home)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:42 pm
Now the bike with dugasts, oh that a joy.
I rode on FMBs for a while, loved them
...but every time I used them I was nervous that they’d get punctures
Sold them for a profit

A joyous experience Allround
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

tabl10s

by tabl10s

I've never ridden tubulars, but when I glue the rubber covers to my 🏓 rackets, I use "Goof Off" to remove excess before replacing.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Goof-Off-Pro-S ... iQQAvD_BwE
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WhereIsAlexiGrewal84

by WhereIsAlexiGrewal84

When I started racing in the mid/late 80's most people were still riding tubulars. Even for everyday training everybody was riding tubulars. Except back then most people called them "sew-ups" instead. :)

High pressure clinchers were relatively new on the market, so unless you bought a brand new factory bike that came with a set of clincher rims like Mavic MA-40s or something, then you were riding tubulars. Except back then most people wouldn't buy a complete bike from the factory. Everybody would just buy a frame, buy a gruppo, lace up some wheels, then get your bars/stem and a saddle. Oh and the gruppo included pedals.

Anyway, tubulars definitely ride better than clinchers, which is why the pros still ride them. If I got tires for free then I would still ride them too. Unfortunately now my everyday wheels are clinchers. That is only to save money. I still have tubular race wheels, except I don't race anymore, so I don't ride them anymore.

Way back when everybody was riding tubulars, there were plenty of inexpensive tubulars tires designed for training, that you didn't feel bad about throwing away. Today even the cheapest "training" tubulars are expensive, and the racing tubulars are crazy expensive. Taking apart a tubular tire, patching it up, and then re-stitching it is not fun. Or at least it's not fun to me.

So anyway I say switch to tubulars if you don't mind the cost.