Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Geoff

by Geoff

Good deal. I know that 25s are faster, too, but I still prefer riding 23s...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

Geoff, I’m like that too. I’m riding mostly on veloflex 22 sprinter or 23 Carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Geoff wrote:Good deal. I know that 25s are faster, too, but I still prefer riding 23s...
But are they? Are they really? ;)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Geoff

by Geoff

:D

sungod

by sungod

there's been a leak of supersecret info from marketing, from 2020 skinny is going to be the new wide

Geoff

by Geoff

Yeah! Love it!

I remember, back 'in the day', lining-up for the first ITT in the Spring with the new kit: our new Colnago Nuovo Mexico bikes with Super Record, our new Assos skinsuits, and my new TT specials - Super Record hubs laced to Ambrosio Montreal Durex rims...and Vittoria CX 19s! They were actually a bit wider, but not by much! At least I had the good sense to only inflate them to 100/110 front/rear.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Hello everyone,

After some time on clinchers, I bought new tubular wheels, 3T Orbis II T35 LTD's.
They are currently on the way to me and I'm looking for tubulars to match it. They are 25mm wide (25c) and I will be using them on my Giant Propel Advanced SL, with 27mm tyre clearance (with 24mm height max).

Currently I live in Poland and roads around here will get quite messy in a month of time. That is the reason, until the next season I would like to get some cheap tubulars, and then most probably I'm getting some Veloflex's.

My question is, how well the Vittoria Rally 23mm behaves on 25mm wide rims? I am thinking of going 23mm front and 25mm rear, but I'm not sure if it is a good idea with 25mm wide rims. If it will be like the clinchers and be 2mm wider than specified, that is the best option I guess. If not, maybe 25/25 will be a better option.

Any ideas or experiences?

sungod

by sungod

tubs don't change width the way that clinchers do

if you have 25mm rims i'd fit 25mm tubs, not 23

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The thing you have to be careful of when fitting substantially narrower tubulars to wider rims, aside from no protection to the rim sidewalls, is how the radius of the tire meets up with the radius of the rim bed. A smaller radius tire glued to a larger radius rim bed will have a much greater tendency to pull away from the rim at the edges, where you really want the bond to be the greatest. If the tire has a greater radius than the rim bed, there’s a tendency for the edges of the tire to push down into the rim while the center of the tire wants to pull away. The latter scenario is not as potentially troublesome as the first and there are ways to mitigate it somewhat, but those techniques don’t really apply to a small radius tubular / large radius rim bed.
Tubulars are contained in their own casings, therefore they don’t get “wider” due to being placed on a wider rim. They may however sit taller on a narrow rim vs a wide rim if the full radius of the tire can’t quite fit nicely into the rim bed and ends up riding up on the edges somewhat as a result. That’s why for example, a 25mm tubular on an older Campy Bora (20.5mm) is tight on clearance in my bike while the same tire on the newer 24.2mm Campy Boras have a perfectly adequate amount of clearance in the same bike.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

addictR1

by addictR1

My rim width is 26.2.. should I run 25 or 27?

Geoff

by Geoff

I think that you will be fine with either.

Personally, I have had really good luck with Dugast 27s on my 'pave' wheels. I also use the 25s on the rear on Hed Stinger 9s, which are not that wide, but the rim bed is really deep. Both are good, but for all-around riding, you might be happier with the 25s, as the 27s aren't very nimble, especially if you are used t0 22s and 23s. What are you going to use them for?

addictR1

by addictR1

Well I’m using them as my everyday wheelset for climbs and flats. Currently running Aero46 front and 72 rear

Geoff

by Geoff

Well, the original reason for going to the 25s was that the 'new' aero rim beds produced by Hed caused an unexpected increase in rear pinch-flats when using 22s and 23s. The increased volume of the 25s prevented that. As the pinch-flats were prevalent on the rear wheels, a lot of Teams ran 22/23s up-front, with 25s on the rear. You could do that, too. That way, you can have the nicer turning of the 22s and 23s, but the pinch-flat resistance of a 25 on the rear.

knightskid

by knightskid

Hi, 1st time using tubular and my 1st time took off my used tubular tire, and there are some transparent sticky residue left behind (am using tufo tape) and wondering can i just ignore and overlay a new tufo tape on it?

P.S Anyway, i already using my finger to scuffs off all the sticky residue, took me 2 hours for 1 wheel alone....😅

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

knightskid wrote:Hi, 1st time using tubular and my 1st time took off my used tubular tire, and there are some transparent sticky residue left behind (am using tufo tape) and wondering can i just ignore and overlay a new tufo tape on it?

P.S Anyway, i already using my finger to scuffs off all the sticky residue, took me 2 hours for 1 wheel alone....Image
I use Tufo tape to, and just tape straight over the residue with new tape. If you really wanted to you can clean the rim with Goof-off or acetone first before applying the new tape.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk