Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
DHG01

by DHG01

No, not at all. Repairing a punctured tubular is easier and faster than a tube. The challenge is if it doesn't seal. Then either you put a spare (which is tedious) or call a taxi.
I only carry spare on group rides; but I more frequently ride on my own. I ve called a taxi twice. Once with Corsa Speed (completely inadequate for general road riding).

On a separate topic, I think latex seals better that's butyl inner tubes.

Attached how I carry the spare. It is held together with Velcro's, so it is easy to swap from bike to bike.
Attachments
C8E48B3C-1C21-4F41-AE7D-C2931212CC6F.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nick12

by nick12

Nicke wrote:The upcoming bike is a rim brake one.

I use tubeless on MTB and gravel but I've heard mixed things about it when it comes to road.

For someone with really no experience with tubulars, is it something I should realistically consider? The wheels will obviously be much lighter, but will the tires themselves be too much of a hassle?
You should take the plunge, at least try with a cheap pair of wheels. That’s what I did, snagged a carbon tubular for cheap. My first glue job was messed up as I was impatient. I had to pull and re-glue, which was annoying, but I feel like it just gave me more practice.

Some people say it’s relaxing, and zen-like, but for me, I just enjoyed the hands on process and learning a new bike-related skill. Ride quality is supposedly top notch but I haven’t taken mine out as I ran out of glue due to the aforementioned glue-mess up.

Oh .. another top tip - use painters tape on the brake track. Your first time pulling the tire on will get glue everywhere and it’s a PITA to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicke

by Nicke

Thank you both for the encouragement.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'll seriously consider tubulars now. Always figured they were a thing of the past, but they can't be that bad right. I'm sure I will be able to find tubular wheelsets for somewhat cheap on the used market since most are moving away from it.

Side note: Would using tape or glue be more beginner-friendly?

bilwit

by bilwit

Nicke wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:08 pm
The upcoming bike is a rim brake one.

I use tubeless on MTB and gravel but I've heard mixed things about it when it comes to road.

For someone with really no experience with tubulars, is it something I should realistically consider? The wheels will obviously be much lighter, but will the tires themselves be too much of a hassle?
You have to ask yourself what are your priorities. If it's ease of use/repair, then go with clincher or tubeless. If you want to ride the best of the best in terms of weight and ride feel and understand the drawbacks (convenience in installation and dealing with punctures) and are not deterred from them, then consider tubular.

EDIT: oh and there is the issue of rim braking on carbon clinchers if there is threat of overheating/blowing up tubes/blowing off a clincher for heavier riders/big descents that require a lot of braking

Nicke

by Nicke

Yeah I'll have to give it a good thinker. Obviously I don't voluntarily want to sign myself up for a lot of stress, but I also don't want to pass on the lightness and, as you said, nice ride feel.

Braking shouldn't be an issue - I'm 72kg and live in Finland with a few hills here and there.

KCookie

by KCookie

Nicke wrote:Thank you both for the encouragement.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'll seriously consider tubulars now. Always figured they were a thing of the past, but they can't be that bad right. I'm sure I will be able to find tubular wheelsets for somewhat cheap on the used market since most are moving away from it.

I moved to Tubular tyres about two years ago and was certainly worried about changing a flat and gluing for the first time.
Orange seal works well to fix a flat but if not then i carry a Tufo Elite and change on the side of the road. Doesn't take long at all.
Personally I would never glue again, i just can't see the point.
Using tape is so quick and clean. One of the tapes I use weighs the same as glue so not a disadvantage for me.
Most swear by using glue and kudos to them, im just crap with glue.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

alistaird

by alistaird

KCookie wrote:
Nicke wrote:Thank you both for the encouragement.

I moved to Tubular tyres about two years ago and was certainly worried about changing a flat and gluing for the first time.
Orange seal works well to fix a flat but if not then i carry a Tufo Elite and change on the side of the road. Doesn't take long at all.
Personally I would never glue again, i just can't see the point.
Using tape is so quick and clean. One of the tapes I use weighs the same as glue so not a disadvantage for me.
Most swear by using glue and kudos to them, im just crap with glue.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
I'm another tape convert...

So much easier and I use sealant inside as prevention with a Tufo spare in an Arundel saddle bag.

A

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

eurostar

by eurostar

DHG01 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:51 pm
Unfortunately for those who like tubulars, I think the offering will decline going forward. Probably it will do more so within the lower level segment of tubulars; which makes sense. It still amazes me why someone would buy tubular rims today and stick Tufos on it.

On a separate note, aside from Challenge and Dugast, is anyone aware of 35-38 mm tubulars?
FMB make a 34, I think because their US distributor asked them to https://www.renehersecycles.com/fmb-tubulars/ I think they would probably make wider ones if there was enough demand. You could ask Rene Herse if it's likely to happen.

eurostar

by eurostar

Does anyone know where the thread about removing the painted logo from Lightweights is? I just can't find it with the search function.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

DHG01

by DHG01

eurostar wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:19 pm

FMB make a 34, I think because their US distributor asked them to https://www.renehersecycles.com/fmb-tubulars/ I think they would probably make wider ones if there was enough demand. You could ask Rene Herse if it's likely to happen.
Thank you, that is useful.
Interesting article also.

eurostar

by eurostar

alistaird wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:10 pm
I would never glue again, i just can't see the point.
I'm sure this has been said, but the point of glue is that if you carry a preglued spare you can do a very, very fast tyre change at the side of the road. Faster than fitting a new inner tube in a clincher. A taped tyre takes too long to remove. Unless your thumbs are as strong as a bodybuilder's biceps.

Edit: alistaird, I just read your post properly...you do actually carry a spare Tufo. How do you get a taped Tufo off in a hurry? I never, ever want to do it again, not even at home! Plus, some of the tape glue will be stuck on the rim, so you have to tape over it, or spend ages removing it with acetone. Aaarggh, no!
Last edited by eurostar on Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eurostar

by eurostar

DHG01

by DHG01

eurostar wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:50 pm
I use a lever. I might leave a bit if space near the valve without tape. I haven't changed many tubulars on the road, but it has worked.
As you pull out the tubular you may pull out the tape with it or leave in the rim - I rather pull it out. I then just place the spare. I do ride carefully, but with sufficiently high pressure, I haven't seen the tubular threatens to run off the wheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurostar

by eurostar

So you ride home with nothing holding the tyre to the rim except air pressure? Maybe just some patches of leftover glue?