Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
benp

by benp

Duplicate post!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

Probably selling Enve classic 45s laced to Alchemy Elf/Orc hubs mint cond. This winter/spring if anyones interested pls pm me. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

Kaboom

by Kaboom

stax wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:32 am
After many hours of research on this and the glueing tubulars thread, I recently put my first set of Enve 4.5 tubs onto a new Mosaic RT1 frame. I went into the process a bit nervous but feeling well prepared from all the reading I'd done and it was a smooth and simple process. I didn't do a great job of centring the front but it wasn't too noticeable till riding. I have since removed, re-glued and re-centred it, and that too was a simple process, purely because I felt knowledgeable going into it. Many thanks to the good folks who give their time and experience to help out us tub noobs on this forum. I wouldn't have considered moving from clinchers had I not had this amount of information simply and freely available.

Thanks again, and for anybody wondering- yes, it is very much worth it.
Not as fast, simple or clean as doing clinchers but I'm on my fourth set of tubulars and I can now get two old ones ripped from the rims and two new ones installed and pretty well centered in less than half an hour.

I have plenty of cycling buddies who'll take longer than that to change 2 clincher tires.

And just like you, mainly thanks to the great info on this forum and the (lesser) info in a Spanish one I frequent.
Last edited by Kaboom on Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff

by Geoff

Keep spreading the word! Tubulars are no problem.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Unicorn teeth Image

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Wookski

by Wookski

Nefarious86 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:40 am
Unicorn teeth Image

Dude WTF-don’t let the whole world know!

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Then hurry up and buy them hahaha

Using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

I would be interested in the two 22mm tyres. Are they worth buying at that price, what are they like in general. I usually ride Veloflex Carbons.
Cheers

moyboy

by moyboy

I just made the switch! Thanks everyone for all the info in this sticky thread.
Geoff wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:03 pm
Keep spreading the word! Tubulars are no problem.

Geoff

by Geoff

What did you choose?

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Well stuff that! I've been training on tubulars for the last 7 months and got my first puncture today, took me over half an hour to peel the old tyre off and then a nightmare to stretch the spare pre glued tyre on.

I used to race on tubulars over 20 years ago but training on them...f#@&k that! I'm back to clinchers for my training wheels from now on...

KCookie

by KCookie

Wingnut wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:06 pm
Well stuff that! I've been training on tubulars for the last 7 months and got my first puncture today, took me over half an hour to peel the old tyre off and then a nightmare to stretch the spare pre glued tyre on.

I used to race on tubulars over 20 years ago but training on them...f#@&k that! I'm back to clinchers for my training wheels from now on...
Use tape and can have a tyre changed in minutes and im a novice. It's so easy and clean. Carry a tufo tyre, nice a light no pre stretching and you'll be on your way in 5 mins with clean hands.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I just rip the tub off. It can be a he-man effort and to get started a tyre lever is useful.

addictR1

by addictR1

KCookie wrote:
Wingnut wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:06 pm

Use tape and can have a tyre changed in minutes and im a novice. It's so easy and clean. Carry a tufo tyre, nice a light no pre stretching and you'll be on your way in 5 mins with clean hands.
You mean use tape on the spare tire or on the original mount?

A buddy of mine his TT was mounted with tape... guess he’s not as paranoid like me worrying about tubs rolling off the tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Just use the original tape. When you pull the tyre off the tape will stay on the rim. Mount the spare tyre and carry on riding. So easy with no mess. All done in 5 mins. Once im home I put new tape on and a new tyre.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk