Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Carrots

by Carrots

Ladies & gents, is it a common (or plausible) occurrence for a bubble in the sidewall to appear near (within 6-7cm) of a recent puncture?

Near new Schwalbe 1 has gone to the heaven after a puncture (sealed post puncture with Caffe Latex without issue). Just wondering if it's just unlucky coincidence or likely to be related.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

duvivr6

by duvivr6

I have used Stan's to seal Tubulars with punctures more than once and have not see any sidewall bubbles.

I would say that something got cut on the sidewall? Would be a bad idea to ride that IMO.

Geoff

by Geoff

@Carrots, I'm not sure what you mean by a 'bubble'. Can you post a pick??

Carrots

by Carrots

Geoff wrote:@Carrots, I'm not sure what you mean by a 'bubble'. Can you post a pick??

A bulge/egg in the sidewall. Picture kind of shows it... Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beatle

by beatle

Orange Seal saved me today.

I punctured my rear veloflex arenburg in a RR today. It sealed after a loss of maybe 20psi. I would have been completely out of contention, but ended up 2nd.

Highly recommend.

fogman

by fogman

So you used Orange Seal as a preventive measure rather than post-puncture?

It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nothing wrong with using it as a preventative measure but I generally will ride until I get a flat, and only then use it to hopefully fix the puncture without having to change the tire. I figure if I'm lucky enough to wear down the tire to where I put new tires on then I can still use the removed tire as a spare, providing there's no sealant in it. But if there's sealant in it, you toss it at that point.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

beatle wrote:Orange Seal saved me today.

I punctured my rear veloflex arenburg in a RR today. It sealed after a loss of maybe 20psi. I would have been completely out of contention, but ended up 2nd.

Highly recommend.

He probably used orange sealant as a preventive measure as it is a race situation, and in this case it works perfectly without slowing him down. I would use it only after an initial puncture though, as Calnago.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

beatle

by beatle

fogman wrote:So you used Orange Seal as a preventive measure rather than post-puncture?

Yup, exactly.

Geoff

by Geoff

@Carrots, that does not look like a tube-related puncture. Rather, it looks like you have a slipped casing. Under the tread, the chances are that the tread is adhered well enough to keep the fibres of the casing from splitting. That spot will be more vulnerable to a penetration puncture, though, as the casing is not protecting the tube properly.

orange77

by orange77

Hello,

I searched but didn't find, or maybe I've used the wrong words to search, but can someone informe me if in a tubular rim with 25mm wide, its ok to run a 22 or a 24 tubular tire or I shoudl use a 25mm one? Also, is it possible to use a Tufo tape in a 25mm wide rim (I believe tufo tape has 19mm wide) ti "glue" the tubular?

Thanks

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

My Easton aero 55 wheels are 28mm wide and I was using 23mm tubulars on them (based on their aero test data). Might as well save some watts as I believe the aero advantage of slimmer tires will outweigh the benefits of lower rolling resistance of 25mm tires (it's lighter too!). Try to use broader tubular tape too ensure the sides of the tires are securely glued; the Carogna tubular tape has a wider 25mm option.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Zoro

by Zoro

We use tires the brake track width (actual inflated, not what is printed) or greater. The issue with rime damage outweighs the aero part. There are good 250g 25mm tyres.

Zoro

by Zoro

@Carrots. This may also be a bad glue job - tread glue to case or maybe some slip in the case, but I think adhesive.. We have this issue all the time when silks get wet - which is why we try to avoid them getting wet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

orange77

by orange77

Thanks Kayrehn and Zoro.