Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
addictR1

by addictR1

biwa wrote:New to tubular, about to mount the first pair. Any recommendation about which shop I should go in SF to get them properly glued? Thx
Why not glue it yourself? It’s very easy. Or if you tape route that’s easy too.

I’ve learned a ton from the members on this thread

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

biwa

by biwa

addictR1 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:39 am
biwa wrote:New to tubular, about to mount the first pair. Any recommendation about which shop I should go in SF to get them properly glued? Thx

Not sure I've got the skills to glue my own from scratch. Also don't have wheel stand, glue, etc.

addictR1

by addictR1

biwa wrote:
addictR1 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:39 am

Not sure I've got the skills to glue my own from scratch. Also don't have wheel stand, glue, etc.
I don’t have a wheel stand either but have a Blackburn pannier bike rack I use for my commute. I flip that over, mount my wheel and glue away. Perfect stand to let dry with.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

biwa wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:07 am
New to tubular, about to mount the first pair. Any recommendation about which shop I should go in SF to get them properly glued? Thx
I used tape & it’s been reliable so far
Here’s a how to & why YouTube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV1X4fWsCfk
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

robertbb

by robertbb

Squashednuts wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:53 am
biwa wrote:
New to tubular, about to mount the first pair. Any recommendation about which shop I should go in SF to get them properly glued? Thx

What kind of riding - any fast descents?
Also, which tape? Looking for reviews on the effetto mariposa stuff...

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

robertbb wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:59 am
Squashednuts wrote:
biwa wrote:

Lots of fast descents with plenty of bends...well fast for me 65-75km/h
Some of the descents have been an average of 10% over 10km, easy numbers to remember
I’m about 82kg and have had no concerns so far
Not sure Which tape, it came with my wheels from Caden
You could check his website
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

biwa

by biwa

robertbb wrote:
Squashednuts wrote:
biwa wrote:

Am also looking into the effetto mariposa tape. Sounds a promoising solution but a small number of users have reported failures despite following their recommended procedure, notably CX users. They're also considerably more expensive than gluing, $16-18 per rim vs. ~$10 glue for a set.

sungod

by sungod

biwa wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:19 am
it's really not complicated, the fiddliest bit is probably mounting and aligning the tub, but you can practice that before putting glue on, and if you use a nice supple tyre like a veloflex even mounting is pretty easy

a wheel stand is a 'nice to have', but when i'm travelling and need to change a tub i use just a piece of tough carrier bag to rest the rim on and avoid getting glue on the floor/whatever

tin of glue
a few small disposable acid/flux brushes (some prefer to spread with a plastic gloved finger)
acetone for cleaning up
paper towels

aside from the threads on ww you'll also find videos etc. online showing the process, it's easier to do than to describe

robertbb

by robertbb

biwa wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:08 am
robertbb wrote:
Squashednuts wrote:
biwa wrote:

Am also looking into the effetto mariposa tape. Sounds a promoising solution but a small number of users have reported failures despite following their recommended procedure, notably CX users. They're also considerably more expensive than gluing, $16-18 per rim vs. ~$10 glue for a set.
Failures? Hmm... any links to those? Not sure how the loads on CX differ from road... for my application it's alpine climbs (and descents).

Wookski

by Wookski

robertbb wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:27 pm
Failures? Hmm... any links to those? Not sure how the loads on CX differ from road... for my application it's alpine climbs (and descents).
It’s much easier to roll a tire on CX as you’re running 1/3rd of the air pressure compared to road.

KCookie

by KCookie

Both my Lightweights are taped, but my AXs have been glued by the LBS. Today I ordered some glue to try the process myself as I had a puncture and need to change the tyre. To be honest I'm looking forward to it, so many guys on here have explained to me how to do it that it really doesn't seem to difficult. Let's be honest this is WW and gluing is lighter. I want to be in the gang to.

Mep

by Mep

KCookie wrote:Both my Lightweights are taped, but my AXs have been glued by the LBS. Today I ordered some glue to try the process myself as I had a puncture and need to change the tyre. To be honest I'm looking forward to it, so many guys on here have explained to me how to do it that it really doesn't seem to difficult. Let's be honest this is WW and gluing is lighter. I want to be in the gang to.
Don't forget tape has higher rolling resistance too. Good decision :)

nickf

by nickf

robertbb wrote:
Squashednuts wrote:
biwa wrote:

I have been using effetto mariposa for quite awhile now. Mounted around 10-12 tires with it. I ride only tubs and never had issues with the tire bond. Makes changing the tire clean and quick. Can swap a tire in 15min and ride the next morning. Only have a wipe the rim with alcohol to remove any dirt before mounting. I'll never go back to glue.

robertbb

by robertbb

nickf wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:14 pm
robertbb wrote:
Squashednuts wrote:
biwa wrote:

I have been using effetto mariposa for quite awhile now. Mounted around 10-12 tires with it. I ride only tubs and never had issues with the tire bond. Makes changing the tire clean and quick. Can swap a tire in 15min and ride the next morning. Only have a wipe the rim with alcohol to remove any dirt before mounting. I'll never go back to glue.
I really appreciate this. Do you do any technical/fast descending with them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That's an interesting video re using tape vs glue for Tubulars. But he seems to have some different views on a few things that most people might have these days.
For instance... he states the main reason for using tubulars is that simply they are faster. I don't think this is the main reason at all... in fact, there are many who will say that for all out fastest straight line speed performance that a clincher might be faster. I suppose that is debateable, but what is not debateable is the ride quality and handling benefits that a tubular gives over a clincher (tubed or tubeless, doesn't matter) and that is the reason I like them. And I think it's also the reason they're still almost exclusively used at the pro peloton level as well, in addtion to the safety factor of just staying on the rim better in the event of a sudden deflation, which also is much rarer on a tubular as when you do puncture, the escaping air usually is a much slower process.

He also talks about all the "lumps and bumps" you get when gluing. I've certainly seen that, but that's just a bad technique of installing the tubular. No tubular that I have glued is "lumpy and bumpy", and if it was I would do it over. It's all about knowing the even pressure to apply as you stretch the tire around the rim so you don't get any high spots, and that can vary depending on the tire/rim combo you are using. A couple pre-mounting practice sessions with no glue should give you a good idea of what kind of "stretch" you need to apply in order to get a nice even "no lumps, no bumps" kind of result.

And then he goes on about how the "rolling resistance" is much better with a tubular, but that too had been debated quite a bit and in fact Campy, with their new WTO wheels, say that the rolling resistance is less than with tubulars. Still, the tubular isn't going anywhere just yet, since as I just mentioned the handling, ride quality and safety aspects of the tubular are still unsurpassed or even equalled by any clincher application.

And finally he states that when putting on a spare tubular after a puncture on the road, with a glued tubular, it is dry and there is no "adhesion". Hmmm... most people would have a pre-glued spare to put on in the event sealant didn't work, rate as that is. But as far as adhesion goes, it is contact cement, activated by pressure, and there is plenty of adhesion. In fact, it's pretty hard to get that spare off once you get home, so I don't know what he's talking about when he says there's no adhesion, because that is simply an erroneous, even irresponsible statement. Or simply maybe he has never mounted a preglued spare and tried it out.

But speaking of "high spots", here's a little video of one that I rode a couple of weeks ago that had such a high spot that it created a very disconcerting ride as that bump was extremely noticeable on fast descents. So much so, that I've ripped it off and will put some new Veloflex Arrenbergs on, which is good because what is on these wheels are not nice tubulars at all, and rode like loops of flexible cement if there was such a thing...

But I am curious about the tape, so I think I will try it on this set of wheels, since the glue job was so poor in the first place it might just be a good time to clean it all off and "start fresh" so to speak. So, now to figure out what the best tape will be for this experiment. As for my own wheels... I'm sticking to glue for now. But if tape works satisfactorily, I might recommend it to the owner of these wheels so he can do his own a little more easily. We will see.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ