Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
DHG01

by DHG01

eurostar wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:10 pm
So you ride home with nothing holding the tyre to the rim except air pressure? Maybe just some patches of leftover glue?

That is right; not saying it is the right thing to do nor recommending.

Last time, 2 years ago, I had ~ 80 km ahead. I was cautious (eg I would only pedal on the saddle) and no significant climbs (nor descents); but I didn't feel unsafe. This was a Tufo Jet - 21 mm at high pressure, it is really not easy to peel off the rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

The very few times I've had to change the tyre on the side of the road I make sure the tape stays on the tyre.
There is glue/tape residue left on the rim but this obviously helps a little when applying the pre glued spare Tufo tyre.

I always carry on with my ride no matter how far I have left, and as stated once it's at high pressure it ain't coming off.

Agree you do need strong thumbs to remove a taped flat tyre.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

alistaird

by alistaird

eurostar wrote: Edit: alistaird, I just read your post properly...you do actually carry a spare Tufo. How do you get a taped Tufo off in a hurry? I never, ever want to do it again, not even at home! Plus, some of the tape glue will be stuck on the rim, so you have to tape over it, or spend ages removing it with acetone. Aaarggh, no!
Hi

I don't ride Tufos, just a lightweight spare in case. Cafe latex in the tubulars has always worked for me so far. Tufo has stayed in the bag....

A

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

Same here. I only use Veloflex but carry a Tufo as a spare. I certainly wouldn't actually ride Tufos.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

deejayen

by deejayen

I've used tubs in the past, often riding Dugast silk tubs, so I have a bit of experience with them.

I'm looking to get a new pair of wheels, and although I haven't kept up-to-date with tyre developments, I seem to remember reading reports which suggest current clinchers are 'faster' than most tubs. I think tyres like the Specialized Turbo Cottons are supposed to be really good. What are the reasons for going with tubs these days?

eurostar

by eurostar

Lighter wheels and frame and brakes if you have rim brakes, which you probably do if you have tubs. Used bargain ultralight wheels because of the people switching to disc brakes. Less hassle with tubs than there used to be because of improved sealants, glues and tapes. The potential to get wide tyres, let the air out and try some gravel and trails without getting pinch flats. The speed advantage of some clinchers is no big deal.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

deejayen wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:36 pm
I've used tubs in the past, often riding Dugast silk tubs, so I have a bit of experience with them.

I'm looking to get a new pair of wheels, and although I haven't kept up-to-date with tyre developments, I seem to remember reading reports which suggest current clinchers are 'faster' than most tubs. I think tyres like the Specialized Turbo Cottons are supposed to be really good. What are the reasons for going with tubs these days?
I'd say tubs are best for mountains (safety). Tubular wheels are light so better feel climbing. If you flat at speed they will stay put while clinchers (and even tubeless) can release from the wheel and increase your chances of crashing. There is also less chance of ruining a carbon rim with braking heat although a lot of heat can move in the glue and soften it. If you are heavy+do monster hills (+warm weather) and don't like playing daredevil descending consider disc brakes regardless of tire type.

As for flat riding, unles you use a very fragile tubular such as the Corsa speed, in my experience there is no contest. I constantly switch and compare between a set of 35mm deep tubular wheels and classic alu box section with 5000 with latex. Closed 3km track loop, no cars, power meter. 25 or 27mm tubulars (various good quality types) vs clinchers measuring 26.5. The clinchers are around 1kph (about 10W) faster in the 29-33Kph bracket. If the front tubular is narrower (23mmm) then the combined aerodynamics come into play and at higher speeds it becomes a wash. I got most of my downhill PRs on the tubs but I also don't use the clinchers much there as I don't trust using latex for descending. With thick butyl they are safer but lose half of the RR advantage and feel kinda dead/boring. I had stuff like Dugast Strada Silk too and yeah, in comparison a good tub is way nicer to ride.

deejayen

by deejayen

Thanks very much! Lots to consider...

octav

by octav

I am in the process of (re)getting a set of tubulars.
I owned Miche SWR Carbon for a few years .
2 Years ago I bought a set of Bora 35 Tubular but a friend asked me to sell them to him and I sold them ( I didn't really like the 35mm profile how it looked on my Colnago C60) so in the end I prefer to use the Ultra50 clincher more.
Now I found a Bora ONE 50mm set which I have just bought and waiting to receive :D :)

Idea is ? Should I stick to glue or tape? In the past I used only glue. Roads are not the best here in Romania ( a lot of road debris, glass etc ) .
And also what tubulars should I get? A good balance of RR and puncture protection?
Shortlist would be Vittoria Corsa Control, Veloflex and Conti Competition ( all in 25 mm)

Geoff

by Geoff

Personally, I still use Mastik 1, as it allows you to easily lay-down thin, consistent layers. It also allows you to get a good coat on the basetape, which tape does not do. Combined, that just creates a really good bond.

Conti Comps are still a very durable tire. I do ride those a lot. Right now I have a set of 'de Ronde' wheels on shod with Dugast seta 27s. They are just so nice to ride.

DHG01

by DHG01

I use Corsa Control. They might be bit more prone to puncture than, say, Gatorskin, but it's how well and easy they seal with Effeto Mariposa that gives me piece of mind.

eurostar

by eurostar

Does sealant behave differently in different tyres?

Singular

by Singular

Yes, mainly because of the construction (tube or Tufo-style "tubeless") and material (latex/butyl inner).

eurostar

by eurostar

OK. Is there a list somewhere of which sealants are best for which construction/material? I have Orange Seal and was intending to use it in Conti Competition, Gatorskin, FMB, Dugast, Schwalbe and Veloflex

PinaRene

by PinaRene

I've used Orange Sealant ( normal / not endurance) for latex based tubular tires ( Veloflex ) and butyl ( Continental Competition ). Also used it for my gravel tubeless setup with 40mm WTB and Pirelli.

For me there is no better sealant for all 3 named and used types of tire. @ not sponsored or whatever - just happy user.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com