Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
GS100

by GS100

Re tubular recommendations, I've had a pair of Reynolds since 2012/13 still going well. Light (under 1200g), stiff and 46mm deep so fairly aero. Also got a set of 3t but had mixed results with the rear going out of true.

On the practicalities, I carry a full spare and mini pump. All extenders I've had include a tiny removable core tool which also un-does the extender. I've found sealant doesn't always work well. Touch wood but I don't seem to puncture much with tubs at all (vittoria), unless they're getting old.

blutto

by blutto

dj97223 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:39 pm
According to this, your wheels will come with the valve extenders.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Wheels ... ora_one_35
Except when you buy from Wiggle, which for some reason doesn't always include either the extenders or the carbon-specific brake pads in the purchase of a carbon Campy wheelset.....poor dears, they must be down to their last billion and are scraping the bottom of the barrel to stay in top drawer caviar and champagne.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

uncle-gee wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:39 pm
Hi folks, few questions...

Firstly, I'm looking at the Dura Ace R9100 C40 tubulars with the 28mm wide brake track.
Interested to know and/or see (if anyone has pictures) how a 25mm tub fits compared to a 28mm tub, on this particular rim.
I tend to believe that the 25mm tub would be a tad too narrow for this rim; but I'm also in doubt as if a 28mm tub on this rim would then fit with appropriate clearance on a Giant TCR 2018?

Secondly, so far I've always brought with me a spare tubular and a CO2 cartridge when riding.
I'm thinking about switching that to: [valve core removal tool + syringe-catheter (ex: KOM cycling tire sealant injector) + orange tire sealant in small separate bottle + Lezyne control drive CO2 inflator + cartridge]. The purpose being to have a better fit in my jersey pocket.
Questions:
I have read that tire sealant and CO2 don't go well together. I guess this is due to a combination of the release of CO2 occurring too fast and the CO2 being too cold upon release and thus not reacting well with the sealant? That said, would the Lezyne control drive CO2 inflator solve this issue? (ie: injecting the sealant and then slowly releasing the CO2) Anyone tried it?
I'm trying to figure out a way to avoid carrying a pump.

Also, are there any valve extenders that have a tool fitting portion near the valve core end so that one could firmly hold the valve extender while unscrewing the valve core, in order to prevent the valve extender from unscrewing a the tire valve junction (which is usually hidden in the deep section rim) when trying to unscrew the valve core from the valve extender?

Thanks!
Hi
Reading through the thread; appreciate it has been some time.
C40s are marvelous wheels (albeit heavy). I actually have them mounted on 23 mm (not ideal, not a problem either, long story). Let me know if you would find a pic useful at this stage.

DHG01

by DHG01

petromyzon wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:18 am
uncle-gee wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:39 pm
I'm looking at the Dura Ace R9100 C40 tubulars with the 28mm wide brake track.
These look like a great wheel choice and you very rarely see them in the wild!
They seem to be almost exclusively used by pros, and pros almost exclusively use 25mm tubs. Whilst Shimano don't seem to make a big play out of their use of aerodynamic testing, it seems safe to assume they are fastest with 25mm and developed with those in mind.

I've never used CO2 with sealant myself for the reasons you describe. I don't use it on clinchers because I like to have an unlimited source of pressure in case I flat twice or more, and because of environmental concerns.

On the two occasions that sealant has allowed me to ride a punctured tubular home I had to stop several times to re-inflate. I would have been stranded if I'd been on CO2. If you change your backup kit the pump is the last thing I'd leave out. I currently carry a Lezyne Road Drive, the smallest Tufo backup tub and 30mls of Orange Seal.

Finally, I install the extenders at home with pliers using PTFE tape and check for leaks before mounting. I install the valve cores finger tight only in the hope that if I come to remove them then that is the joint that comes undone! Some extenders have valve core tool flats themselves so in this case you can carry two tools to make sure you don't unscrew the wrong thread.

I frequently use C02 and sealant.

If the puncture is big, I might pump manually first, let the tyre seal and then use the cartridge.

Otherwise, direct CO2. I find useful the CO2 inflator with open/close valve. Again, I would inflate a bit, spot the puncture, and then complete.

Effetto Maripossa sealant (for latex inner tubes) needs to have the C02 introduced carefully, it is best to inflate with the valve opposite to floor. The challenge with this sealant is originated with the abrupt change in temperature, hence why inflation with the valve on top - CO2 is coolest at the valve.

Jhon6748

by Jhon6748

https://ibb.co/hmKbP1z. Anyone seen anything better than this??

dmetzinger

by dmetzinger

Anyone out there using this when carying a spare tub? Seems like it should work well. I was searching for a boa based strap but didn't have any luck finding one.

https://off.road.cc/content/review/acce ... eview-5239
Seven Axiom SG - Force AXS rim brake
Colnago C50 - Campy Chorus 12
Wilier Filante - SRAM Force/Red AXS
Wilier Zero SLR - Red AXS

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

dmetzinger wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:50 pm
Anyone out there using this when carying a spare tub? Seems like it should work well. I was searching for a boa based strap but didn't have any luck finding one.

https://off.road.cc/content/review/acce ... eview-5239
I use a speedsleev Ballistic Nylon Seatsleev. It's not pretty but it works, just have an old 22mm tub in there.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

themidge

by themidge

I use an old toe strap, works perfectly :thumbup:. Although if you'd have to buy one instead of having it to hand, I'm sure there are better options :D

ChristianB

by ChristianB

I got a good deal on a set of Bora Ultra II Tubulars in 50mm, so I am giving tubs a try. I am currently digesting my way through the glueing tubulars thread (!), but have a few questions. I have my mind set on Vittoria Corsa G2s, and for convinience, I intend to get the Vittoria Valve extenders . What size would I need?
Thanks!

Geoff

by Geoff

I run the 30mm extenders.

When you put the extenders on, make sure you put a wrap of plumber's teflon tape around the male threads for both sides (extender and valve core), otherwise you will have a slow leak you will not be able to deal with without dismounting the tire.

themidge

by themidge

Geoff wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:46 pm
I run the 30mm extenders.

When you put the extenders on, make sure you put a wrap of plumber's teflon tape around the male threads for both sides (extender and valve core), otherwise you will have a slow leak you will not be able to deal with without dismounting the tire.
Would electrical tape (stretched thin) work for this? Or something else I'm more likely to have round the house than plumber's tape?

ChristianB

by ChristianB

Thanks Geoff - and thanks for all the great information in the Glueing Tubulars thread :)

Geoff

by Geoff

@ChristianB, you are most welcome.

@themidge, sorry, no. Typical electrical tape is 5-7 mils thick (or even thicker) and the tolerances for the valve core threads is smaller than that. PTFE teflon tape is 3.5 mils (or less) and will stretch thinner. It should be available at any harware store or general merchandise retailer (we can get it at grocers here!)

Ste_S

by Ste_S

Schwalbe Lugano T has been my go-to tub for a vintage bike for the past few years, however, Schwalbe of course have canned all their tubs.

Options? Needs to be reasonably glass cut resistant (I live in a city), and tan wall would be nice but not essential. As all the other cheaper tubs (Giro, Rally) are rubbish I guess I'm going to need to spend up. I have Veloflex clinchers on another bike, and like those, so their ProTour tubs are front runners; if I can get any in the UK post-Brexit that is :roll:

Anything else to consider?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

There are many online sites which show Schwalbe Lugano tubulars in stock, including both 22 and 25 at Schwalbe's site https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tire ... s/lugano_t . and starbike with 22 https://www.starbike.com/en/schwalbe-luganot-tubular/ .