Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
shamrock134

by shamrock134

So I've read the entire thread and in all honesty, tubs sound like faff to me. However, I am still slightly curious to see for myself what the hype is about and keep having this idea that I could get a set of lightweight Chinese tubs purely for cycling holidays.

I currently ride Bora 35 clinchers and I'm very happy with their braking and ride quality when paired with nice clinchers (currently Veloflex Corsa, might switch to Vittoria G+ in the future). I've used them without issue (so far) in Majorca, Gran Canaria and the Pyrenees.

What would you say to convince me to try tubs?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

safer, lighter, comfier

shimmeD

by shimmeD

pro
cool
Less is more.

shamrock134

by shamrock134

Compelling arguments! The safety aspect is the main thing that attracts me as it's always slightly at the back of my mind on a mountain descent. Although Boras seem anecdotally to be better than other carbon clinchers for heat dissipation/delamination.

Lighter? Seems to me you just move the 200g you saved at the rim into the spare tub or sealant you have to carry?

I've been eyeballing cheap Chinese tubs. Surely these would have inferior braking to the Bora? I guess the only real option is Bora tubular! :shock:

beanbiken

by beanbiken

shamrock134 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:14 pm

Lighter? Seems to me you just move the 200g you saved at the rim into the spare tub or sealant you have to carry?
Sorry, that argument doesn't wash with me. I have never carried a spare tub as in the almost 10 years I have been riding tubs exclusively [I definitely don't do big km's though] I have never had a flat. I carry sealant and you carry a spare tube.......... even :D My take on it anyway :)

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

shamrock134

by shamrock134

beanbiken wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:04 am
Sorry, that argument doesn't wash with me. I have never carried a spare tub as in the almost 10 years I have been riding tubs exclusively [I definitely don't do big km's though] I have never had a flat. I carry sealant and you carry a spare tube.......... even :D My take on it anyway :)

BB
Doesn't that make you the minority? Most people seem to advocate carrying a pre-glued spare. I even saw one comment in this thread about carrying two! :shock:

Define big km? Several 100-150km rides on a cycle holiday isn't unreasonable. What would you guys bring along if say doing 7 days in the Alps or Dolomites?

sungod

by sungod

shamrock134 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:14 pm
i use a light tufo as a spare tub, < 160g

if i'm on clinchers, i'd be carrying a spare inner tube and puncture repair kit, tyre lever, tyre boot, that may not be 160g but it's well on the way, and of course the clincher wheels are much heavier (my lightweight tub wheels are < 940g)

shamrock134

by shamrock134

sungod wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:15 pm
i use a light tufo as a spare tub, < 160g

if i'm on clinchers, i'd be carrying a spare inner tube and puncture repair kit, tyre lever, tyre boot, that may not be 160g but it's well on the way, and of course the clincher wheels are much heavier (my lightweight tub wheels are < 940g)
Say I hypothetically bought some 38mm deep 25mm wide, U-shaped tubs from China. Would there be any hypothetical risk in running 23mm Veloflex Carbons or a 23mm Carbon front with 25mm Arunberg rear? I suppose tubs should always match the rim width unlike clinchers?

sungod

by sungod

really depends on the exact tyre/rim and how they match

taking extremes, if the tyre is too small, the edges of the basetape will not be stuck to the rim, but with 23 on 25 i wouldn't think you have a problem there

in aero terms, a bit narrower is fine

r3m

by r3m

I'm new with tub wheels. I bought a Lightweigt ML second hand and i ask myself which tubs choose between Corsa G+ (23 front 25 back) or Veloflex Carbone ?

I roll today on classic GP4000S2 23/25 and i use my tuby wheels for granfondo with good weather.

Thanks for you help.

Pinguin

by Pinguin

r3m wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:25 pm
I'm new with tub wheels. I bought a Lightweigt ML second hand and i ask myself which tubs choose between Corsa G+ (23 front 25 back) or Veloflex Carbone ?

I roll today on classic GP4000S2 23/25 and i use my tuby wheels for granfondo with good weather.

Thanks for you help.
Veloflex Carbon is only 23 mm,so for the rear if you want 25 mm is Arenberg
These are good tires and not much difference to Corsa G+
Look at the Corsa CX,they are cheaper and also good to ride

sungod

by sungod

r3m wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:25 pm

Thanks for you help.
i would go with the 22mm veloflex sprinter (or veloflex extreme if you want black sidewalls) on the front

the handling in strong wind changes with a wider tyre, the extra 1mm of a criterium/carbon makes a big difference

on the rear the wider tyre does not affect handling, personally i prefer 23mm - so i run sprinter front and criterium rear

Wookski

by Wookski

shamrock134 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:23 pm

What would you say to convince me to try tubs?
Whether you try tubs or not doesn’t impact us. If you’re already worried about the faff then they’re probably not for you.

This is coming from someone who rides tubs exclusively.

shamrock134

by shamrock134

Wookski wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:59 am
Whether you try tubs or not doesn’t impact us. If you’re already worried about the faff then they’re probably not for you.

This is coming from someone who rides tubs exclusively.
So explain to me objectively why you ride tubs exclusively, please.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calleking

by calleking

I went for a ride on CLX64s with Corsa G+ 25mm tubs a week ago. I normally run Enve 4.5s with Power Comps and latex tubes. I was actually disappointed as I expected the ride to be much comfier but it was actually the opposite. Pressures were right for my weight. I can see the point of tubs since they are lighter and more safe but the comfort argument must be a thing of the past. Modern wide clinchers paired with quality tyres and latex tubes are so good these days.

Are the Corsa G+ considered harsh compared to say Veloflex?
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm