Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
dj97223

by dj97223

Yeah, not a good idea. Probably not safe, even if you only went uphill, and I'm guessing you'd risk losing watts from the tire moving side to side. If the tire flops off under those conditions, you may also mess up the rim.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Like dj says :up: , you're losing watts. Not securing the tubs, just defeats the purpose of going fast and safely.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

And you save 20 grams tops?

Your teeth, but I wouldn't do it.
Using Tapatalk

Christono

by Christono

Appreciate the replies, was curious in case I didn't have enough time to glue but all good now!

Mtek

by Mtek

Been reading through this thread and ordered my first tubular wheelset to try. I’d like to get a recommendation for a 28-30mm wide gravel tire choice. I have found a lot of aggressive cyclocross models, but looking for something better suited to tarmac and gravel riding.

The wheels are Knight 35, 25.5 mm wide.

Thx in advance for any help.

addictR1

by addictR1

leej88 wrote:I'm running a pair of Lightweight Meilenstein Schwarz (20/20) with 25mm Lightweight Edition Continental Competition Tubulars (with Miyata TTP-1 tub tape).

Thinking of running some better tyres.

Have narrowed it down to:
1. FMB Service Course (silk)
2. Vittoria Corsa Graphene G+
3. Veloflex Carbon

I've had great experience with Continental tyres and have never gotten a flat for the past 8 years so I guess the roads around my place are really well paved. However, that does not mean I'm willing to sacrifice puncture resistance for a marginally better ride quality.

Anyone here have any experience with FMB tyres? Do they really ride that much better?

Tub tape? Haven't heard about the Miyata TTP. How are they?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

addictR1

by addictR1

dereksmalls wrote:Ok so I got some Veloflex Sprinters which are 22mm, the rims I have are 23mm wide. Am I going to have a problem here with the width of will the tubs sit ok?

I have the same tires on 25mm wide rim and ride fine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

Made the transition to tubulars about a year ago and had my second puncture, first on Veloflex last week. Small hole on the side wall, put in Tufo extreme, span the wheel a few times, pumped up the tyre which went straight down again. Don't know if I waited long enough for the sealant to set, as I was in a hurry to pick up the kids from school. Now I only had half of the gas left, so pulled off the tyre and installed a new Tufo tyre. Couldn't believe how quick and easy the process was. Yes I use tape. !!!
Anyone doubting tubulars due to punctures don't. I admit I was quite worried moving from clinchers, but to be honest I found it easier to change the tyre than changing an inner tube.

sungod

by sungod

yes, i was the same the first time i swapped tubs on the road, though getting a well-glued tub off in the cold and rain could be nasty

fwiw with tufo extreme i squirt it in, replace the valve, then (hand-) pump up with the wheel positioned so that the sealant is 'pooling' over the hole, i think this positioning should be more effective than spinning the wheel to spread it evenly

KCookie

by KCookie

If it's cold and wet here I would be on the trainer, so not a problem for me. :)
Cheers will try that next time I get a puncture. I'm also a bit worried about using the tyre again after having a puncture. I put air in last week and its still inflated, but would hate for it to go down again once being ridden. Will get expensive keep using new tyres and throwing away the punctured ones.

sungod

by sungod

my rule of thumb is if there's a bulge at the cut and the tub is pretty new, it's probably better to repair it rather than rely on sealant

my logic being that as the carcass has a big enough cut to deform, the sealed tube will eventually get wear away and blow again, whereas if i patch it it'll be good as new

but if the tub is old, i'll just add more sealant, if/when it fails there isn't instant decompression, it's just like a 'normal' puncture, as the pressure drops it may even reseal if there's still liquid sealant in the tube

i've run worn tubs with 3-4 punctures for 2-3 months like this, at some point the sealant no longer is effective, i think this is when the tube has become too worn away at the hole, then it's time to bin it

addictR1

by addictR1

KCookie wrote:Made the transition to tubulars about a year ago and had my second puncture, first on Veloflex last week. Small hole on the side wall, put in Tufo extreme, span the wheel a few times, pumped up the tyre which went straight down again. Don't know if I waited long enough for the sealant to set, as I was in a hurry to pick up the kids from school. Now I only had half of the gas left, so pulled off the tyre and installed a new Tufo tyre. Couldn't believe how quick and easy the process was. Yes I use tape. !!!
Anyone doubting tubulars due to punctures don't. I admit I was quite worried moving from clinchers, but to be honest I found it easier to change the tyre than changing an inner tube.

did you use tape to began with? or tape to install the tufo tires?

KCookie

by KCookie

addictR1 wrote:
KCookie wrote:Made the transition to tubulars about a year ago and had my second puncture, first on Veloflex last week. Small hole on the side wall, put in Tufo extreme, span the wheel a few times, pumped up the tyre which went straight down again. Don't know if I waited long enough for the sealant to set, as I was in a hurry to pick up the kids from school. Now I only had half of the gas left, so pulled off the tyre and installed a new Tufo tyre. Couldn't believe how quick and easy the process was. Yes I use tape. !!!

did you use tape to began with? or tape to install the tufo tires?
I used tape to begin with. So quick, clean and easy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

benp

by benp

Just taken delivery of a Prime RP-35 wheelset. Going to give tubulars another try after going to clinchers 25+ years ago. Quality looks good and weight below that quoted 1273g vs 1280. Weights taken from Primes website rather than bike shops site as they appear to quote variable weights (down to 1200g).
Just waiting for tubs and cassette to arrive and I’ll get glueing....ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk