Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
eurostar

by eurostar

Groovy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

octav

by octav

I have also decided to go with glue ( I already did it multiple times and it's not that bad,can do it in the garage).
Tires not yet decided, sure that I need to be with 25mm( also didn't decide if the tires will be black/tan as my frame is a C60 PLAN color and the wheels are bright red-white.
Corsa Control is on the list, so thanks for suggesting it. Is it more puncture resistant than normal Corsa?

DHG01

by DHG01

octav wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:10 pm
I have also decided to go with glue ( I already did it multiple times and it's not that bad,can do it in the garage).
Tires not yet decided, sure that I need to be with 25mm( also didn't decide if the tires will be black/tan as my frame is a C60 PLAN color and the wheels are bright red-white.
Corsa Control is on the list, so thanks for suggesting it. Is it more puncture resistant than normal Corsa?
I use both Corsa and Corsa Control. The latter might be a bit more resistant (as the manufacturer intended to). I definitely noticed Corsa Speed more prone to punctures (they are meant for time trials). But on normal roads, both Corsa and Corsa Control should work.

The only reason I have Control's was a very good offer I picked up on. The rear has actually been flat (and sealed) during the past 300 km. As said, Effeto Mariposa works really well on these. More so on 25 mm as the require that bit less pressure.

Orange Seal is also known to work well; but I guess I am sticking to what I have.

If you do puncture and seal, remember to not leave your wheel with the valve on the lower part, near the floor. I had to spend 10 minutes last week unclogging a valve on a Conti Gator; the tubular was sealed and hadn't used the bike for a couple months.

octav

by octav

Ok, noted . Vittoria + Effeto Mariposa should be ok ( Vittoria Control )
I want to stay away of Conti; too tight to mount so will go with Vittoria .

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Have been using vittoria corsa all the way, and orange seal is excellent with it. It works so well I'm totally not concerned about punctures if it ever happens.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

eurostar

by eurostar

If you have deep rims with valve extensions, how hard is it to get Orange Seal in?

DHG01

by DHG01

I have not had problems getting sealants into deeper rims (40, 45, 50 and 55 mm). I have not used Orange Seal but I have used others (EM, both types of Tufo, Bontrager, etc.). I use the small Tufo type bottle, plug into the valve stem extension, which should be at about 7/8 o clock. Once you push some sealant in, take the valve stem to 11 o clock to avoid sucking sealant back in, and repeat.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

The rim dept does matter, you only have to remove the valve core at the top. Make sure the extender is tightly installed so that removing the valve core wouldn't loosen the extender as well.

octav

by octav

Did any one try Pirelli or Michelin tubulars? On the shortlist I have Pirelli, Michelin and Vittoria Corsa Control :) Still can't decide.
Just put what I found locally in the shop; a front 25mm Tufo Carbon and it rides like runflat in cars ( shit ) .
Vittoria Rally that came in the wheels rides much better... though it's not straight :)

octav

by octav

And also Conti Competition; all 3 are in the same budget approx 65-70/ tire

eurostar

by eurostar

Kayrehn wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:09 pm
The rim dept does matter, you only have to remove the valve core at the top. Make sure the extender is tightly installed so that removing the valve core wouldn't loosen the extender as well.

I've just bought a Dugast which had been prepared by a pro team. The joint between the extender and the valve has been filled with some white stuff. Maybe glue or sealant or latex...who knows. But it seems a good idea. Do other people do this?

Singular

by Singular

eurostar wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:04 pm
Kayrehn wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:09 pm

I've just bought a Dugast which had been prepared by a pro team. The joint between the extender and the valve has been filled with some white stuff. Maybe glue or sealant or latex...who knows. But it seems a good idea. Do other people do this?
Plumbers tape.

gkski

by gkski

Any advice for off-season storage of a sewup with sealant? Should the valve core be removed and try to drain out the sealant for the winter?

These are Continental Sprinter Gatorskins with 4Ml of Revo sealant.

Thx

Priit

by Priit

gkski wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:58 am
Any advice for off-season storage of a sewup with sealant? Should the valve core be removed and try to drain out the sealant for the winter?
Keep always so much air inside the tubes that tube walls don’t touch. Otherwise the sealant will glue inner tube together and ruin the tubular. You can’t drain all the sealant out, some of it will stick inside anyways. Also once a week or so shake the tubular around little bit to prevent the sealant dry out in one place inside the tube.

octav

by octav

Made the transition back to tubulars; Conti Competition.
I now have 3 sets of wheels; Cosmic C40 tubeless; Bora Ultra Clincher and Bora One tubular. All of them are really nice to ride, but I guess the tubulars make the bike feel more special :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com