Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Arph

by Arph

Luganos are my go-to spare tubulars (I usually don't use aged ones as they rarely escape a flat at some point). Too bad they are discontinued ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

Unfortunately for those who like tubulars, I think the offering will decline going forward. Probably it will do more so within the lower level segment of tubulars; which makes sense. It still amazes me why someone would buy tubular rims today and stick Tufos on it.

On a separate note, aside from Challenge and Dugast, is anyone aware of 35-38 mm tubulars?

Geoff

by Geoff

Maybe not quite that big, but you can get the FMB Paris-Roubaix in a 30mm. For road, that is really fat. I run Dugast 27s and they are really big for road.

DHG01

by DHG01

Geoff wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:08 pm
Maybe not quite that big, but you can get the FMB Paris-Roubaix in a 30mm. For road, that is really fat. I run Dugast 27s and they are really big for road.
Thanks Geoff. I actually use them for gravel, hence the 35-38mm; will peek into FMB though.
Last edited by DHG01 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

DHG01 wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:51 pm
aside from Challenge and Dugast, is anyone aware of 35-38 mm tubulars?
VELOCIPEDE SALON: Does anyone make a 32-35c Tubular anymore?

Geoff

by Geoff

Gotcha. I know Challenge offers a 36mm version of its Paris-Roubaix tire (with the bonded latex 'tubeless' tubular casing), so that might be the best choice, if you want really high-volume.

I have run my 27s on gravel and they are fine for riding around here. I have also ridden my Dugast 32 Pipistrello 'cross tires, and they worked well, too. You might try that?

DHG01

by DHG01

Thank you both.

addictR1

by addictR1

anyone tried these before? Panaracer Tubular Practice 700x25

Less than 100 miles and my arenberg already got cut up. Feel sad Image

Need something more economical....

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Hi all, as of May 2021, is the lightest non-TT 25mm tub still Tufo S3 elite? i have a pair of Challenge Strada 25mm and have been quite happy with them but they are wearing thin. i was thinking i can save some weight by going to Tufo. i dont do very long rides, so comfort isnt too much concern, but puncture protect should be more or less in line with other race tyres if possible. i also use veloflex carbon and service course (now called Pro Tour) on other bikes, while i dont mind them, i just feel abit more special with the Challenge. Having said that i would like to try something else for the next set. thanks.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

What's the point in riding a low weight tyre when it just does not roll ?
If you want to feel special try some FMB silk casing tyres.
No idea why anyone would feel more "special" riding Challenge tyres....

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

bilwit

by bilwit

Pirelli has new tubs at 275g... made for wider rims though (26mm) and they colored the base tape black :evil:

https://velo.pirelli.com/en/ww/catalogu ... -28/yellow

DHG01

by DHG01

WorkonSunday wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:37 pm
Hi all, as of May 2021, is the lightest non-TT 25mm tub still Tufo S3 elite? i have a pair of Challenge Strada 25mm and have been quite happy with them but they are wearing thin. i was thinking i can save some weight by going to Tufo. i dont do very long rides, so comfort isnt too much concern, but puncture protect should be more or less in line with other race tyres if possible. i also use veloflex carbon and service course (now called Pro Tour) on other bikes, while i dont mind them, i just feel abit more special with the Challenge. Having said that i would like to try something else for the next set. thanks.

Tufo S3 Elite have excellent puncture protection. Where I have punctured with others I haven't yet with these.
They roll significantly better than S3; they actually have nothing to do with them. But they don't roll like Corsas or similar type tubular.

if you haven't had puncture issues with the Challenge tubular, given the price point of S3 (~ €50), I would shop for Corsa and just use Effeto Mariposa sealant when necessary.

At €60 you should find Corsas; this makes them more than twice as expensive as S3. S3 have more than twice the mileage and, being less prone to puncture, the are likely to fail later.

All in all, at €50, I would still shop for Corsa.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

fdegrove wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 7:27 pm
Hi,

What's the point in riding a low weight tyre when it just does not roll ?
If you want to feel special try some FMB silk casing tyres.
No idea why anyone would feel more "special" riding Challenge tyres....

Cheers, ;)
dxmn......didnt even realise tub can cost that much ! but.....silk casing sounds like a dream. since we are on weight weenies, how much do they weigh? :mrgreen:
bilwit wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:12 am
Pirelli has new tubs at 275g... made for wider rims though (26mm) and they colored the base tape black :evil:

https://velo.pirelli.com/en/ww/catalogu ... -28/yellow
ah, yes, these caught my eyes few weeks back when they announced it. interesting inner tube choice. i was thinking getting these for my tri bike where i have to check in the bike the night before. definitely one of the contenders :beerchug:
DHG01 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:44 am
WorkonSunday wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:37 pm

Tufo S3 Elite have excellent puncture protection. Where I have punctured with others I haven't yet with these.
They roll significantly better than S3; they actually have nothing to do with them. But they don't roll like Corsas or similar type tubular.

if you haven't had puncture issues with the Challenge tubular, given the price point of S3 (~ €50), I would shop for Corsa and just use Effeto Mariposa sealant when necessary.

At €60 you should find Corsas; this makes them more than twice as expensive as S3. S3 have more than twice the mileage and, being less prone to puncture, the are likely to fail later.

All in all, at €50, I would still shop for Corsa.
thanks for the sharing your experience on S3 Elite. are you referring to Vittoria Corsa ? or other brands?

if i cant find the Pirelli's at some discount, i may go with Tufo for now. FMB seems....abit too rich for my blood lol
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

montee

by montee

Perhaps a stupid question: why aren't "tubeless tubulars" really a thing? Especially with rim brakes, light weight + rims that don't melt + low rolling resistance + puncture resistance (sealant & many punctures fixable on the road with a worm/plug) would be a great combination. Any reason it's not been done, is there an engineering limitation?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,
montee wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 9:53 pm
Perhaps a stupid question: why aren't "tubeless tubulars" really a thing? Especially with rim brakes, light weight + rims that don't melt + low rolling resistance + puncture resistance (sealant & many punctures fixable on the road with a worm/plug) would be a great combination. Any reason it's not been done, is there an engineering limitation?
Tubeless tubulars as in tubulars without an inner tube ?
Well, so far we haven't seen any that actually do exhibit lower rolling resistance. Lower weight, possibly.

Cheers, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.