Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Pinguin

by Pinguin

What is a good choice of tubular tire for less punctures?
Thanks

Jugi

by Jugi

Continental Sprinter. If that’s not enough, Continental Gatorskin. In my opinion Sprinter is still reasonably nice to ride, but Gatorskin arrives with a significant rolling resistance penalty.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mosbo

by Mosbo

First time going with Tubulars on my new build (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156808)

I've managed to pick up some old 7850 Dura-Ace C24 Tubular wheels (the all black ones with red spoke nipples). I think they are 21mm external rim width. Currently undecided if I should go Veloflex Carbon or Arenberg (or the skinwall versions of each, but that's another question altogether!).

I guess the only reason i'm keen for the Arenberg's is a bit more longevity (and comfort) out on the road. I'm a bit paranoid about my first tubular puncture! Although I pretty much never get punctures on my other bike anymore after going to decent tyres (Challange) so i'm sure I will be fine. Going Veloflex because they look pretty much exactly the same as my Challenge tyres tred pattern. I'm guessing Challenge and Veloflex probably take design cues from each other.

I'm just not sure if I can even go 25mm+ on these rims. Does anyone else have experience with the old C24's?

And also not sure if the weight penalty is worth it? Or should I just go with Carbons?

Extreme's/Sprinters would be ideal of course for the weight but I think i'm too paranoid to run something like that. And i'm no racer, just a 'weekend warrior' really.

KCookie

by KCookie

Theres about 20g difference between the Extremes and Carbons. My 3 sets of Lightweights all have carbons on, I've only had one puncture on those in 2 years. My AX Lightness have Extremes and again only one puncture since August last year. Any tyre would have punctured though as it was the side wall. I was nervous when I switched from clinchers to tubular but to be honest theres nothing to be worried about. If need be a tyre change in the side of the road is easy. Just ride and enjoy the comfort of Tubular. Good luck with your choice.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

1415chris

by 1415chris

If these rims have 21mm of external width, Arenbergs/Paris Roubaix may be just to wide for them. On top of this they will not sit as nicelny on the rims as they would do on the wider rims.
I would say Veloflex 23mm Carbon/Criterium. I used to use Extremes, but over the time a started appreciating wider tubs. Wider rims also helped to move to more matching tubs.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

25mm tubulars will work but they’re kind of at the limit sizewise and you will likely find that just releasing your brake caliper won’t be enough to easily let the wheel dropout. I think 24mm tires are ideal, what Roubaixs used to be before they went to 25mm. A Veloflex Carbon (23mm) is probably your best fit on those, or a Specialized 24mm S-Works Turbo. The pre 2015 Campy Boras are 20.5mm external width and I think the 24mm tubulars are ideal for those.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Mosbo

by Mosbo

Thanks @Calnago @1415chris @KCookie

Sounds like Carbon's it is. Or Criterium. That's still another choice I have to make!

kgt

by kgt

Anyone has long term experience of both Continental Sprinter and Veloflex Arenberg in terms of puncture resistance? How do they compare? I would prefer a tan wall Arenberg but they don't seem to have any special protection layer. It is just a wider, fatter Veloflex. No?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The Roubaix and Arrenberg are exactly the same tire, except the Roubaix is tan sidewalls while the Arrenberg is all black. I don’t have any issues with the puncture protection on them, but there is a layer of some sort (Calicot I think they call it), same as on the Carbons etc. But you’re right, basically just a bigger Veloflex. I think it may be the “Criterium”? that is pretty fragile. But Veloflex seem as good as any to me regarding puncture resistance. I’ve never used a Sprinter, just the Competition for winter weather. And I always found Vitorria the worst for cutting, so they’ve been off my radar for a long time. Maybe they’re different now.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

themidge

by themidge

I might be moving to tubs on my Cannondale (bike for normal, fast rides, doesn't go on the kind of expedition where you wouldn't want tubulars), so I figure this is the best place for a couple of questions:

1. Most high end tubs are about £50-60 which is a bit on the expensive side. Are there any good options for tubs that are somewhere in between the price and quality of say, a Veloflex Criterium and the Continental Giro's I've used before on a different bike? I won't need wider than 23mm due to rim width.

2. Is it best to carry a super-light Tufo as a spare or something heavier but more pleasant to continue my ride on, like another of what's already on the bike?

Mosbo

by Mosbo

Also interested in what people are carrying as a spare these days. I was too thinking of a super-light Tufo but not sure if there are other/better options?

addictR1

by addictR1

themidge wrote:I might be moving to tubs on my Cannondale (bike for normal, fast rides, doesn't go on the kind of expedition where you wouldn't want tubulars), so I figure this is the best place for a couple of questions:

1. Most high end tubs are about £50-60 which is a bit on the expensive side. Are there any good options for tubs that are somewhere in between the price and quality of say, a Veloflex Criterium and the Continental Giro's I've used before on a different bike? I won't need wider than 23mm due to rim width.

2. Is it best to carry a super-light Tufo as a spare or something heavier but more pleasant to continue my ride on, like another of what's already on the bike?
For events I carry another spare Veloflex. It’s not that much heavier and plus I can keep riding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Etienne

by Etienne

Mosbo wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 12:50 am
Also interested in what people are carrying as a spare these days. I was too thinking of a super-light Tufo but not sure if there are other/better options?
I have a moderatly used Veloflex Extreme tub folded in an old sock, stuck under my saddle ... 235g of "be able to come back home" guarantee :wink:

I have some superlight Tufo tubs in my stash ... but always felt like they aren't worth the risk.

1415chris

by 1415chris

themidge wrote:I might be moving to tubs on my Cannondale (bike for normal, fast rides, doesn't go on the kind of expedition where you wouldn't want tubulars), so I figure this is the best place for a couple of questions:

Within £30-40 price bracket you can consider Vittoria Elite, Conti Sprinter. Sometimes a bit pricer options are also available in this budget being on sale.
In terms of spare, after a years of riding with, let's calll it normal tub as a spare, I decided to try, hope I wouldn't have to, one of these super light Tufo track tubs. I will still keep Veloflex Extreme folded as a backup ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful :thumbup:. Vittoria Elites seem to be discontinued, but I've found them on a couple of shops at a discount, likewise with some older high end models. I reckon that'll be the best option for me, even if it might result in non-matching tyres every now and again.

I don't get punctures very often in the summer (which is when I'll ride tubs anyway) so I might chance it with a super light Tufo as a spare to save some grams :)