Making the transition to tubulars

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
knightskid

by knightskid

KCookie wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:23 am
knightskid wrote:Hi, 1st time using tubular and my 1st time took off my used tubular tire, and there are some transparent sticky residue left behind (am using tufo tape) and wondering can i just ignore and overlay a new tufo tape on it?

P.S Anyway, i already using my finger to scuffs off all the sticky residue, took me 2 hours for 1 wheel alone....Image
I use Tufo tape to, and just tape straight over the residue with new tape. If you really wanted to you can clean the rim with Goof-off or acetone first before applying the new tape.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Ok noted. And do i need to sand it with sandpaper too?

KCookie

by KCookie

knightskid wrote:
KCookie wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:23 am
knightskid wrote:Hi, 1st time using tubular and my 1st time took off my used tubular tire, and there are some transparent sticky residue left behind (am using tufo tape) and wondering can i just ignore and overlay a new tufo tape on it?

P.S Anyway, i already using my finger to scuffs off all the sticky residue, took me 2 hours for 1 wheel alone....Image
I use Tufo tape to, and just tape straight over the residue with new tape. If you really wanted to you can clean the rim with Goof-off or acetone first before applying the new tape.

Ok noted. And do i need to sand it with sandpaper too?
I never have. Never had a problem either. Some others might chime in with an answer to that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Generally speaking, a bit of glue residue is almost inevitable. I have seen some posters go right 'down-to-the-wood' with their rim prep. I am nowhere near that fastideous, so my rims always have a good layer of glue remaining. I have found that a really good glue job does not fail at the rim bed/glue interface, rather, at the glue/basetape interface. I just go right down over the old glue and that has worked really well for the past 35+ years. I do, however, only use Vittoria glue, so your result might be different.

biwa

by biwa

Could anyone share their opinion on riding tubulars in the Bay area considering the road condition and landscape? Are tubulars more susceptible to damages due to bad road surfaces than clinchers?

addictR1

by addictR1

biwa wrote:Could anyone share their opinion on riding tubulars in the Bay area considering the road condition and landscape? Are tubulars more susceptible to damages due to bad road surfaces than clinchers?
I’m in the Bay Area and ride tubs exclusively. No puncture for over a year and a half till Veloflex started to wear down and got poked by one of those round dried up brown thorny thing on the road.

Live in south bay where the roads are crap.

Even descended while having a flat very safely vs with clincher I would have lost it.

Learned a lot from the gurus here on how to prep, glue and even repair my own tubs now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

biwa

by biwa

addictR1 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:23 am
biwa wrote:Could anyone share their opinion on riding tubulars in the Bay area considering the road condition and landscape? Are tubulars more susceptible to damages due to bad road surfaces than clinchers?
I’m in the Bay Area and ride tubs exclusively. No puncture for over a year and a half till Veloflex started to wear down and got poked by one of those round dried up brown thorny thing on the road.

Even descended while having a flat very safely vs with clincher I would have lost it.

Learned a lot from the gurus here on how to prep, glue and even repair my own tubs now.

Thanks. I ride mostly in the marin region but clinchers only so far. How much practice did it take for you to get confident in preping and gluing your own tires?

Geoff

by Geoff

I have been in SFO once a quarter for the past 10 years, or so. I would say that the Bay Area is tailor-made for tubulars. The fact that there are lots of potholes and lumpy pavement will show the value of tubular tires: resistance to punctures caused by pinch-flats.

biwa

by biwa

Geoff wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:07 pm
I have been in SFO once a quarter for the past 10 years, or so. I would say that the Bay Area is tailor-made for tubulars. The fact that there are lots of potholes and lumpy pavement will show the value of tubular tires: resistance to punctures caused by pinch-flats.
I'm slightly confused now, just saw another post where someone said the exact opposite because of the poor road conditions, I guess it's to do with the sharp objects littered around more than the potholes? I can appreciate the benefits of tubular for climbing and descent, at least for the carbon wheels.

sungod

by sungod

"poor road conditions" can be for different reasons...

if the roads are rough, potholed, bad surface, the main risk is pinch flats, tubs are less prone to these

if the roads have sharp debris - glass, flints, thorns - then light weight tyres of any kind will get punctured, tubs take more effort to repair properly (sometimes sealant will fix a puncture, but some need patching)

addictR1

by addictR1

biwa wrote:
addictR1 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:23 am

Thanks. I ride mostly in the marin region but clinchers only so far. How much practice did it take for you to get confident in preping and gluing your own tires?
The learning curb initially was steep, but with helps from guys like sungod, Geoff and many others on here, it’s pretty easy. Using a good tub like Veloflex helps a lot when mounting and centering.

If you are in Marin, the roads there should be much smoother than south SJ. But Geoff is right, I’ve accidentally rolled through potholes and scattered glass and no flats.

I would love to ride in Marin one of these days... so beautiful there. Maybe next year for the Marin century ride.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

There's probably a bunch of threads I could post this in, but I think I'll just leave it here. I never use sealant as a "preventative" measure in my tubulars, as it can potentially stick your latex tubes together if they are allowed to go flat, and it also means you would never be able to use that tire as a spare once changed out for a newer tire. But I do use sealant to fix punctures, rare as they seem these days, while on the road. And occasionally, the sealant will ultimately clog a presta valve in a way that prevents you from pumping up your tire. Even though you unscrew the top of the presta valve, it is impossible to pump air into the tire. So, out of curiosity what it was that was actually clogging, I did an autopsy on a presta valve that would not allow any air into the tire.

What happens is the sealant gets in the valve, and for whatever reason, perhaps you didn't quite screw the top back down all the way for example, as I think happened here, the sealant pools and forms a nice little o-ring so perfect that you might think it actually is an o-ring intended to be there....
As it is above, that "o-ring" on top will quickly act just as the valve on the inside of the presta valve acts to prevent air escaping... it immediately blocks the passage of air throught the valve into the tube.

Simple solution... dig that sealant based latex o-ring out of the valve and prest-o... your valve core is free again...

Nothing major... carry on.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I used tape for 2-3 years. Never took off the residue from the rim or tire when replacing or relocating unless it was an easily pulled strip on either the tire or rim. In fact, even after switching back to glue I never stripped anything and never saw an issue at all. I wouldn’t waste time stripping much of anything. Up to you!

Geoff

by Geoff

@blwa, I was assuming that when you said 'Bay Area', you were kind of thinking of the wine country, which has really great terrain and 'rest stops', versus SFO-proper. I have not seen a lot of broken glass, etc. In Sonoma, etc., but lots of bumpy pavement.

I have found that the valves are ok with the sealant in tubeless tires, although you may have to give it a few good wacks with your air before it breaks loose.

biwa

by biwa

Geoff wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:20 pm
@blwa, I was assuming that when you said 'Bay Area', you were kind of thinking of the wine country, which has really great terrain and 'rest stops', versus SFO-proper. I have not seen a lot of broken glass, etc. In Sonoma, etc., but lots of bumpy pavement.

I have found that the valves are ok with the sealant in tubeless tires, although you may have to give it a few good wacks with your air before it breaks loose.
Yes, I was really thinking about the southern part of the Marin county. The roads can be bumpy but definitely less sharp objects than the SF city (which is probably the worst of both worlds - bumpy roads and broken glasses everywhere)

gotgame

by gotgame

will post it here, maybe someone needs a new set of tubulars :)

if anyone interested in a set of mavic cosmic pro carbon sl t (tubular) brand new at good price, PM me.

wheels are brand new, retail accesories incl mavic 25c tubes (850€ for Europe, 1000$ worldwide, paypal and shipping incl.) can do also ebay sale
Colnago e1 gazzetta dello sport - sz52s / Pinarello gan RS ulterga di2 - sz52 / Caadx 2019 vulcano green sz54

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com