FarSports 38mm Carbon Clincher Review Thread, The

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Indyx

by Indyx

Hello all,

Bought a set of 38mm x 25mm tubless, with Carbon TI hubs. Put about 500 miles on them so far, and the hubs/build quality have been awesome.

My only concern so far is the basalt brake track pics up a lot of brake residue. I normally ride Reynolds wheels (til they went super cheap on their new wheel hubs), and those never picked up residue with blue/gray pads. The farsports ones make the brake track pretty much the color of the pad. I suspect it's the balast brake track vs silcion carbide on reynolds.

Anyone have any experience with good black pads? I figure the black will mask the effect. I have some Swiss Stop Black prince pads on the way.

alanyu

by alanyu

Indyx wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:31 pm
Hello all,

Bought a set of 38mm x 25mm tubless, with Carbon TI hubs. Put about 500 miles on them so far, and the hubs/build quality have been awesome.

My only concern so far is the basalt brake track pics up a lot of brake residue. I normally ride Reynolds wheels (til they went super cheap on their new wheel hubs), and those never picked up residue with blue/gray pads. The farsports ones make the brake track pretty much the color of the pad. I suspect it's the balast brake track vs silcion carbide on reynolds.

Anyone have any experience with good black pads? I figure the black will mask the effect. I have some Swiss Stop Black prince pads on the way.
I have used black prince on other chinese rims with basalt brake track. The performance is excellent, but the pads wear out quickly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stoffa

by Stoffa

Anyone bought their marble fade finish? Interested in some thought about it.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Did someone pay extra for the prepaid duty’s if so, did you have to pay any extra fees?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Any suggestions for brakepads, are the stock ones fine or should I buy other ones?

TribesMan

by TribesMan

I have been using the grey brakepads that were supplied by Farsports.
The braking performance is as good as on any aluminium rims that I have ridden before buying Farsports carbon wheels...

nickf

by nickf

The pad's farsports provides are excellent. Wish I would have ordered a spare set.

biwa

by biwa

skyboy wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:33 pm
Is this just a slight flaw in the cosmetic layer? I don't mind if that's all it is as you do have to look closely to see it.
The outer rim comes in at 28.1mm and internal is 21mm

Well worn Gp4000 25mm measure in at 29.4! on the front and 29 on the back. Too wide! I'd like to get the tyre width down to 27mm if I can.
Would 25mm GP5000 work or would I have to do down to 23mm? I don't mind once I can get close to 27mm
Have you tried out the 25mm GP5000 on these wheels? What's the actual inflated width of the tires after some miles?

emotive

by emotive

biwa wrote: Have you tried out the 25mm GP5000 on these wheels? What's the actual inflated width of the tires after some miles?
A 25mm GP5000 at 70psi will stretch to 28.2mm on a 21mm ID rim.

biwa

by biwa

emotive wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:14 am
biwa wrote: Have you tried out the 25mm GP5000 on these wheels? What's the actual inflated width of the tires after some miles?
When they're mounted new or after they're worn in?

emotive

by emotive

biwa wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:37 am
emotive wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:14 am
When they're mounted new or after they're worn in?
After about 500km, they will stretch to 28.2mm

Cemmac

by Cemmac

Is it noticeable flat drag difference if I go with 38mm instead of 50mm?

Is the chepaest options of hubs, still useful like ED Hub or even Novatec(i'm so lost in here sorry)?....i don't won't cracking after 500kms. I have cheap plan as it's old bike...
Ceramic +45$ option or not? Why?

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Indyx wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:31 pm
Hello all,

I used to have some carbon wheels that had a Basalt brake track. The problem with these are Basalt's a poor material as a brake track. Someone spoke out about it on a CyclingTips or Velonews article and had a major manufacturer speak about it. It's a pretty old material they introduced as a brake track. I suggest to go with the normal carbon tracks.

I took one to Nice,FR and descended on the rims from the Madone and Eze and I tell you I smelled BBQ coming down the mountains. I sold the wheelset after my vacation (I think with the bike).

Lakal

by Lakal

FYI:
Just wrote to Farsports and they (Windy) replied quickly.
They begin to build wheels with the new DT Swiss 240 EXP hub next week.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Just received my new Farsports wheels, 43mm laced to ED(bitex) hubs with cx rays, I am amazed by the quality of the wheelset, they are flawless. Ordered on the 7th of april.

Weight came in at 1450g, 10g lighter then stated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com