FarSports 38mm Carbon Clincher Review Thread, The

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Digger90

by Digger90

Interested in owner reports from anyone running these (Farsports 38mm clincher) tubeless...?

I loved my Campy Bora One 35's... until 2 things happened that put me off them:

1. I had a front inner tube blowout descending the Col du Galibier due to excessive heat build up (I'm an experienced descender, I don't drag the brakes, but I was going quickly)

And in a separate occasion a few months later....

2. A spoke broke on the rear wheel. An easy fix you'd think.. but what a PITA it was to replace. The 'no holes in rim' design, plus Campy's proprietary spokes that had to be special-ordered, meant it was hassle and costly to replace (relative to a more common spoke).

So.... I'm looking at the Farsports (and LightBicycle, and Hunt wheels etc) but I'm thinking that to avoid blowouts on long descents I should go tubeless. I'm riding Mt Ventoux late August and have hit 57.5mph in the Alps before, so want absolute confidence in my tyres/wheels.

dobuy

by dobuy

Between my friends and I, we have bought about a dozen sets of Farsports Carbon Clinchers over the last few years and to date all of them have been excellent.
The "standard" Novatec hubs work well and are easy to service and reliable. My own wheels which have about 15,000kms on them are just getting towards needing new bearings as getting a little knotchy. These wheels have done most of their miles out here in Dubai, but have been on 4 holidays to the UK, Italian lakes and Tuscany and been up and down gradients up to 18% without issue. Yes braking in the wet is not brilliant, but good enough down a 8% avaerage 10km descent in pi**ing rain. I use Wiggles own brand blue pads, cheap and quiet.
Here are a couple of links to my own wheels
http://dubaicyclist.com/farsport-58mm-disc-wheels/
http://dubaicyclist.com/project-orange- ... -clincher/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kyleFu

by kyleFu

prendrefeu wrote:
Beancouter wrote:Prendrefeu - are you still on your 38's? I bought mine about the same time as you and wondered how yours were wearing?

Yikes! Sorry for the late, late reply to this.

Dear Prendrefeu, this is kyle from Farsports, I am pleased to know you here and have followed WW forum for a long while.
I am writting to you for a wheel question if you donot mind but I donot find any of your contact here, I'll be much appreciated if can get your private messages at your convience, all the best.
Farsports
https://www.wheelsfar.com
kyle(at)farsports.cn

dastott

by dastott

Sorry to revive an old thread but I recently took delivery of some Farsports clinchers (60mm deep, 20.5mm wide). They look great but I cannot get a Michelin Power Competition 23mm tyre to fit on the rim. Didn't have this issue when I installed the same tyre on a Mavic rim. Have tried most tricks (talc, heat etc.) with no success. Anyone found similar problems? Wondering if I should try some Conti GP4000s?

Marin

by Marin

My old 23mm wide Farsports set is the hardest I have to mount tires on because of the shallow rim bed. You have to make sure the already installed part of the bead sits dead center in the rim bed to create as much slack as possible or you won't get the tire on.

dastott

by dastott

Thanks. Have ordered some Schwalbe Ones, hopefully they will be easier to mount.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

i have 2 pairs of 23mm wide farsports, mounted schwalbe ones (clincher) and schwalbe pro one (tubeless) and both easy as pie

Hardgraf

by Hardgraf

Hi all. Long time lurker on the forum.

I received FarSports 'U' 38mm x 23mm 3k matte wheels today. Novatec hubs for Campagnolo and Sapim CX ray spokes, basalt breaking surface, holed rim.

They took about three weeks to arrive to the UK (customs charge faff included). Well packaged, came with spare spokes, two pairs of brake pads and some skewers (85g) which I will be swapping out for some Planet X Ti & carbon ones (44g).

Very impressed with the weight (1398g) and they look well finished, well built and understated.

I dealt with Kyle through FarSports offical shop on AliExpress and paid credit card with standard shipping. Total cost after customs charge £440.

Cheers

belopsky

by belopsky

Hardgraf wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:36 am
Hi all. Long time lurker on the forum.

I received FarSports 'U' 38mm x 23mm 3k matte wheels today. Novatec hubs for Campagnolo and Sapim CX ray spokes, basalt breaking surface, holed rim.

They took about three weeks to arrive to the UK (customs charge faff included). Well packaged, came with spare spokes, two pairs of brake pads and some skewers (85g) which I will be swapping out for some Planet X Ti & carbon ones (44g).

Very impressed with the weight (1398g) and they look well finished, well built and understated.

I dealt with Kyle through FarSports offical shop on AliExpress and paid credit card with standard shipping. Total cost after customs charge £440.

Cheers
Awesome! Is this the store? Looks to be.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/103713

Looking for a sub 1400g set myself right now

Beaver

by Beaver

And again here: With a 23mm wide 17C rim even a 23mm tire will be wider (real 24.5+mm, depending on model and pressure) than the rim and your (tiny) aero benefits are gone. In addition, there is a lower crosswind stability, higher rolling resistance and less comfort because you will need a higher pressure on narrower rims. And Light Bicycle 36mm high 21C, 28mm wide rims are 440g, so even the same weight.

sdnc357

by sdnc357

Hi guys. I have a question. What rim stripe and how wide do you use with 38 x 23 mm Farsports clinchers? Anyone with veloplugs? Thanks.

danbjpa

by danbjpa

Yep. Red veloplugs on my farsports rims (38mm and 50mm rear). Image

dastott

by dastott

Same as above, using red veloplugs on my 60mm clinchers.

ubers

by ubers

danbjpa wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:26 pm
Yep. Red veloplugs on my farsports rims (38mm and 50mm rear). Image

Just ordered some 28 mm wide x 38 mm deep farsport clinchers today.

Would like to order some veloplugs for these wheels - so the farsport spoke holes are 8mm?

danbjpa

by danbjpa

Mine is 23mm wide and i use 8mm veloplugs (red). Maybe the holes is standard, but would be good msg them to confirm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com