FarSports 38mm Carbon Clincher Review Thread, The

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hawk16

by Hawk16

I've been researching carbon wheels and referencing the Hambini data.
My question is, is the Farsport V50 wheel different to the current wheel on sale by Farsport the U shape 50?

If it is different, there is no way of knowing how it compares until the new one is tested is there?

Also, the LB 56 rim is that the disc wheel? So the 55 rim brake can't be compared either?

AJS914

by AJS914

All those wheels are within 7 watts of each other anyway. I would use Hambini's chart as a general guide and basically deeper is faster with a few exceptions. Hambini's tests also don't optimize tire width to the rim. He puts a 23mm GP4000 on every rim. That is a 25mm wide tire. An older 23mm rim for example would test a few watts faster if it had a true 23mm tire installed.

I have the new U shape 25mm wide Farsport 50mm deep wheels. They have been fantastic. They feel fast and are very predicatble and not scary at all in windy conditions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skyboy

by skyboy

I ordered a pair of 25mm wide 50mm deep wheels and after a day or two changed my mind and decided I wanted something wider. I sent a message to Kyle and even though the order had already started processing he was able to offer me some 28mm wide wheels! (45mm deep)
I just received them today. The pair weigh about 1520g out of the box.

They look great except for one spot on the front wheel if you look closely

Is this just a slight flaw in the cosmetic layer? I don't mind if that's all it is as you do have to look closely to see it.
The outer rim comes in at 28.1mm and internal is 21mm

Well worn Gp4000 25mm measure in at 29.4! on the front and 29 on the back. Too wide! I'd like to get the tyre width down to 27mm if I can.
Would 25mm GP5000 work or would I have to do down to 23mm? I don't mind once I can get close to 27mm

It's my first time using carbon wheels and the breaking will take some getting used to from what I've tested but I am using the free pads that farsports provide so I'll order something better and see what I think about the breaking then.
I've not had a chance to take them for a spin yet but I will be back with an update and if anyone has questions or wants more photos just let me know
Last edited by skyboy on Fri May 17, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

robeambro

by robeambro

skyboy wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:33 pm
I ordered a pair of 25mm wide 50mm deep wheels and after a day or two changed my mind and decided I wanted something wider. I sent a message to Kyle and even though the order had already started processing he was able to offer me some 28mm wide wheels! (45mm deep)

Well worn Gp4000 25mm measure in at 29.4! on the front and 29 on the back. Too wide! I'd like to get the tyre width down to 27mm if I can.
Would 25mm GP5000 work or would I have to do down to 23mm? I don't mind once I can get close to 27mm

It's my first time using carbon wheels and the breaking will take some getting used to from what I've tested but I am using the free pads that farsports provide so I'll order something better and see what I think about the breaking then.
I've not had a chance to take them for a spin yet but I will be back with an update and if anyone has questions or wants more photos just let me know
GP5000 are much truer to size, so probably 25's would be just fine.

Pinguin

by Pinguin

skyboy wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:33 pm

They look great except for one spot on the front wheel if you look closely

Is this just a slight flaw in the cosmetic layer? I don't mind if that's all it is as you do have to look closely to see it.
The outer rim comes in at 28.1mm and internal is 21mm

Forget Farsport Pads
Buy Black Prince or cheaper Lifeline blue Pads or Prime Pads
Much better

skyboy

by skyboy

Yeah just about to order a pair of Lifeline blue. Do you think my ultegra 6800 brakes will work fine on 28.1 mm wide rims? You can probably see from the picture they are opened up very wide. Is there any performance penalty for this, I know the r8000 brakes are wider. Also I will need to install new brake cables that are not cut so short.

AJS914

by AJS914

I wish my frame would fit those wheels and tires! I wouldn't worry about that tiny cosmetic flaw.

skyboy

by skyboy

It's actually a tight fit getting the wheel if it's inflated into place because of the way it drops in but once in place there is enough clearance.
I'm not the least bit bothered by the cosmetic flaw, as you can see from the picture that are not close up it's invisible at that distance.

dim

by dim

skyboy wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:38 pm
It's actually a tight fit getting the wheel if it's inflated into place because of the way it drops in but once in place there is enough clearance.
I'm not the least bit bothered by the cosmetic flaw, as you can see from the picture that are not close up it's invisible at that distance.
you are worried about the flaw, thats why you mention it in more than one post .... get it replaced otherwise it will always work on your mind :thumbup:
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

skyboy

by skyboy

dim wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:00 pm

you are worried about the flaw, thats why you mention it in more than one post .... get it replaced otherwise it will always work on your mind :thumbup:
Only worried if it's possible that it's more than cosmetic. Which I doubt it is but I don't know as much as some other people that post here.

skyboy

by skyboy

I finally got a chance to take the wheels out for a cycle. I'm impressed, they run smooth and true. It feels weird for me to have such a wide rim on a road bike but it's perfect for the uneven road surfaces I spend most my time on and really absorbs most of the buzz off the chip and seal surface. I still have not received the brake pads I ordered from wiggle so I'm still using the ones that came with the wheels(champion black). The weather has been sunny so in dry conditions the wheels stop no problem at all with better modulation than I expected.
I'm not sure why far sports don't have this rim on their site or on aliexpress, they only have the disk version. Maybe they don't want to deal with people having trouble with frame clearance.
I did find an image of the shape of the rim for anyone who's interested, it's a very rounded U shape.

AJS914

by AJS914

Cool! Do they feel faster on the rough roads you ride on?

skyboy

by skyboy

AJS914 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:43 pm
Cool! Do they feel faster on the rough roads you ride on?
They do but it's very difficult to say if that is really the case. Comparing it to another ride on my old box section wheels it looks like I can hold 30 km/h while using 10 watts less. However today was perfect cycling condition 18C sunny and dry with almost no wind so that could be a factor.

farsportssandy

by farsportssandy

jeanjacques wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:52 pm
What do you think about this disc brake rim ?
http://www.farsports.cn/product/detail.php/id-296.html
380g for the XC version, seem to be good for a 30mm height/large and not very common.
It's for a road use with 32c tires (at 60 psi), some time gravel path. I'm looking for some aero avantage compared to my 18mm height MTB rim (DT Swiss XR331).
Thanks for the input ;)
Web is upgraded to http://oem.farsports.cn/gallery/

farsportssandy

by farsportssandy

According to market feedback, wide tubeless wheels for road disc/gravel are getting more and more popular.

After tested riding all the way to Tibet and Pairs Roubaxi, Farsports 28mm wide(21mm internal wide) road disc tubeless wheels (for gravel as well) proved to be super strong and stiff.

Here is the review: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156164
Attachments
微信图片_20190516162444.jpg
To Tibet (1).jpg
To Tibet (2).jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com