Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
knightskid
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:39 am
Location: Singapore

by knightskid

rides4beer wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:53 pm
knightskid wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:15 pm
Looking at Lightbicycle website for this wheel, isn’t it stated is for disc brake based on the title? But you set it up as rim brake.
Yup, they have it listed as a disc brake wheel, but you can get it for rim brake, just let them know when you're placing the order. I also got the grooved graphene brake track for an extra $30, no braking issues at all with Swissstop Black Prince pads.
That was great, it is the grooved graphene brake track that interest me to get from lightbicycle. Too bad farsports doesn't have it because my 1st choice is still with them since i have already bought a tubular rim from them a year ago and still happily riding it.

MAJ
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:33 pm

by MAJ

ooo wrote:Yishunbike Mid Hook design looks interesting, weight is a little bit better than Farsports
I tried to order 2pc, but they told me they sell them in bulk (10pc)

https://www.yishunbike.com/700c-asd-roa ... m_p61.html
RDG38C-TLR-DISC
ASD38C-TLR-DISC
€ 539,71 36%OFF | 1259g High End 700C 25mm Outer 18mm Inner Width Tubeless Clincher Road Disc Cyclocross Bike Carbon Wheels Wheelset 24 Holes
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/b28EYqZx

Check this wheelset weight!

This is the rim:


€ 140,55 41%OFF | 400g 700c 38mm x 25mm Tubeless Clincher Carbon Bicycle Rims Cyclocross Bike Rim Road Disc CX Wheel No Brake Track 20 24 28 Holes
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cpXHGTyz

by Weenie


ooo
Posts: 755
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 12:59 pm

by ooo

400g 700c 38mm x 25mm symmetric is a good offer. I have asymmetric holes 38mm x 25mm rims ~415g (425g advertised)

accuracy of chineese rim weight +-25g, hub weight +-25g, total spoke weight +-25g,
single wheel weight accurary +-75g, wheelset (2 wheels) total weight accuracy +-150g

17-18mm inner is a little outdated, even conservative shimano offer new road wheels at least with 19mm inner
(2019 updated shimano wheels WH-RS171: 19-622, while 2017-2018 wheels WH-RS170 was 17-622)
'

Pinguin
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:28 pm

by Pinguin

knightskid wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:52 pm
rides4beer wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:53 pm
knightskid wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:15 pm
Looking at Lightbicycle website for this wheel, isn’t it stated is for disc brake based on the title? But you set it up as rim brake.
Yup, they have it listed as a disc brake wheel, but you can get it for rim brake, just let them know when you're placing the order. I also got the grooved graphene brake track for an extra $30, no braking issues at all with Swissstop Black Prince pads.
That was great, it is the grooved graphene brake track that interest me to get from lightbicycle. Too bad farsports doesn't have it because my 1st choice is still with them since i have already bought a tubular rim from them a year ago and still happily riding it.
Farsport also sell this grooved brake track if you ask,but it would be louder than normal and eats brake pads,only better if you ride in rain

knightskid
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:39 am
Location: Singapore

by knightskid

Pinguin wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:46 am
knightskid wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:52 pm
rides4beer wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:53 pm
knightskid wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:15 pm
Looking at Lightbicycle website for this wheel, isn’t it stated is for disc brake based on the title? But you set it up as rim brake.
Yup, they have it listed as a disc brake wheel, but you can get it for rim brake, just let them know when you're placing the order. I also got the grooved graphene brake track for an extra $30, no braking issues at all with Swissstop Black Prince pads.
That was great, it is the grooved graphene brake track that interest me to get from lightbicycle. Too bad farsports doesn't have it because my 1st choice is still with them since i have already bought a tubular rim from them a year ago and still happily riding it.
Farsport also sell this grooved brake track if you ask,but it would be louder than normal and eats brake pads,only better if you ride in rain
Oh ok...that was great.....have just browsing their rim brake, this one interest me FSL45-CM-28 which is USD334 include free shipping.....https://www.wheelsfar.com/700c-carbon-c ... 60-88.html

MAJ
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:33 pm

by MAJ

ooo wrote:400g 700c 38mm x 25mm symmetric is a good offer. I have asymmetric holes 38mm x 25mm rims ~415g (425g advertised)

accuracy of chineese rim weight +-25g, hub weight +-25g, total spoke weight +-25g,
single wheel weight accurary +-75g, wheelset (2 wheels) total weight accuracy +-150g

17-18mm inner is a little outdated, even conservative shimano offer new road wheels at least with 19mm inner
(2019 updated shimano wheels WH-RS171: 19-622, while 2017-2018 wheels WH-RS170 was 17-622)
And what do you prefer; symmetric or asymmetric. This seller offer the major part of rims asymmetric but I don't know about the behavior of the wheels at high speeds with an asymmetric rim...70/80km/h.

On MTB the speed and the aerodynamics is less important, but in road is very important.
Anyway I had readen that asymmetric rims have less impact resistance.

For this reason I am searching for symmetric rims, but may be I'm in wrong direction.


On farwheels I have found following two options but heavier than Deerobust claimed weight:

https://www.wheelsfar.com/35mm-x-28mm-r ... 2-hub.html

https://www.wheelsfar.com/35mm-x-26mm-r ... 2-hub.html

Jugi
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:10 am

by Jugi


Pinguin wrote: Farsport also sell this grooved brake track if you ask,but it would be louder than normal and eats brake pads,only better if you ride in rain
That depends very much on usage. In my regular use, I wear out a set of brake pads in 2-3 years. If go to Mallorca or some place similar, I'll get a considerable amount of wear in a week of hard riding. So brake pad wear is not really a concern in regular use, and I want my brakes to have comparable feel and power in all conditions. For me, a grooved brake track seems like a better option.

Pinguin
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:28 pm

by Pinguin

Jugi wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:21 am
Pinguin wrote: Farsport also sell this grooved brake track if you ask,but it would be louder than normal and eats brake pads,only better if you ride in rain
That depends very much on usage. In my regular use, I wear out a set of brake pads in 2-3 years. If go to Mallorca or some place similar, I'll get a considerable amount of wear in a week of hard riding. So brake pad wear is not really a concern in regular use, and I want my brakes to have comparable feel and power in all conditions. For me, a grooved brake track seems like a better option.
Thats right
I live in the mountains,so i need a lot of pads
If i had the choice again i would go with the normal brake track

knightskid
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:39 am
Location: Singapore

by knightskid

Erm....something would like to ask. Am wondering if going for 20 holes for the rear, is asking for trouble for a 77kg rider? 😬

Jugi
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:10 am

by Jugi

In my experience (79kg) going below 24 spokes in rear wheel is asking for trouble. Spoke pattern and bracing angle have some influence in it as well, some combinations work better than others.

Four spokes weigh about 20 g and they change a wheel's ability to handle stress quite considerably.

User avatar
Beaver
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:06 pm
Location: Lower Saxony - Germany

by Beaver

knightskid wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:35 am
Erm....something would like to ask. Am wondering if going for 20 holes for the rear, is asking for trouble for a 77kg rider? 😬
21 spokes with 2:1 lacing would be better - but those hubs are only availiable from Bitex etc. Maybe Carbon Ti will one day offer this option.

ooo
Posts: 755
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 12:59 pm

by ooo

MAJ wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:33 am
On MTB the speed and the aerodynamics is less important, but in road is very important.
Anyway I had readen that asymmetric rims have less impact resistance.

For this reason I am searching for symmetric rims, but may be I'm in wrong direction.
No need for asymmetric in front, it is only needed on the rear wheel to make left and right spokes have closer tension numbers
For the rear wheel aero penalty is minimal
'

none
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:29 pm

by none

AFAIK, asymmetric rims are used because of disc rotor that offset the hub flange, asymmetric rims allow the same or similar length spokes to be used for disc & non-disc side or drive & non-drive side of the hub flange, for less complicated wheel building.

MAJ
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:33 pm

by MAJ

https://www.yishunbike.com/700c-rsd-roa ... s_p62.html

What do you think about these rims.
I think are the rims of Deerobust seller ( Aliexpress)

by Weenie


emotive
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:40 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

by emotive

MAJ wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:54 pm
https://www.yishunbike.com/700c-rsd-roa ... s_p62.html

What do you think about these rims.
I think are the rims of Deerobust seller ( Aliexpress)
they're only 25 or 26mm wide at the transition from the rim to the tyre. That will be good if you want to run 23mm tyres with a measured width of 25 or 26mm. If you want to run 25mm tyres with a measured width of 27-28mm, then a rim which is wider than 27mm at the transition point is more aerodynamic.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post