Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
robeambro
Posts: 616
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:21 pm

by robeambro

Pulled the trigger on Some Farsports T45D21SL (45mm depth, 21mm internal width, 28mm external width). Hopefully they'll behave well with 25mm tires :D

I hope I'll like the 3K Twill Matte finish, but with a black matte bike, I had to avoid plain matte rims!

I wanted to thank everybody who helped me when I asked questions a few weeks back :mrgreen:

by Weenie


deepakvrao
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:44 am

by deepakvrao

emotive wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:01 am
clonefan wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:34 pm
I was planning to get a pair of Light Bicycle 46mm deep rims but now I'm wondering if I should get their new 56mm deep ones. I'll be using 25mm 4000sII tires, will they be too wide for the 56mm rims in the front? Would I be better off with the 46mm in the front and 56mm in the back?
Yep, the 30mm wide wheel will be better.

On the 46mm rims (28mm outer, 22mm inner) the GP4000II in 25mm will measure about 29.5mm wide, At high yew angles the wind will catch the side of the tyre.
On the 56mm rims (30mm outer, 23mm inner) the GP4000II in 25mm will measure about 30mm wide and be a better aero match for the wheel.

For ideal aero, you want the front wheel width to be 105% of the tyre width.

On the 46mm rims (28mm outer, 22mm inner) a GP4000II in 23mm will measure about 27.5mm wide,
On the 56mm rims (30mm outer, 23mm inner) a GP4000II in 23mm will measure about 28mm wide

Looking at the 56 rims. How would they do with 28mm Schwalbe Pro Ones?

deepakvrao
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:44 am

by deepakvrao

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:03 pm
rasmusic wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:29 am
I'm looking for a light set of 40-45 mm carbon clincher rims (U-shaped, around 25 mm wide) to build with Extralite Cyber*-hubs. Any suggestions on the rims? I see Lightbicycle have 45 mm rims at 475 grams, but hopefully there is lighter options?
Light-Bycicle RR46C02 are 460g+/-15 in rim brake version and you can ask LB to pick lightest rims out of several batches if your rim parameters are popular enough, so ~445g should be possible. But it's not exactly an "U-shape" and the width is wider at 28mm. I run these and Cyberhubs in disc flavor, btw.

Just looking at Light Bicycles wheels, and from wht I have read [elsewhere] V rims are outdated, but they still sell only V in the wider rims? Am I m issing something?

User avatar
Klaster_1
Posts: 786
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:25 am
Location: Russia

by Klaster_1

deepakvrao wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:47 am
Just looking at Light Bicycles wheels, and from wht I have read [elsewhere] V rims are outdated, but they still sell only V in the wider rims? Am I m issing something?
LB46mm shape is not the same as older V-shape. For comparison, check out this page from 2014 for old-V to U shape "evolution", and in this post you can see how Enve SES 3.4 changed rear rim shape from U to new-V, similar that of LB.

deepakvrao
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:44 am

by deepakvrao

mpulsiv wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:29 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:58 pm
LB is advertising "black friday is coming, up to 30% off". No details though.
I wouldn't trust that. They'll probably raise prices and offer a discount to break even.
LB told that if I wait for the upcoming sale, I'd save $22 if I end up ordering WR3602 wheels for $702 + $78 delivery to U.S.A.
Not that great of a deal. For $150 more, I can pick up AL33 ceramic (32.5mm deep and 26.5mm wide) with superior WI T11 hubs or $100 cheaper for DT 350 hubs.

FarSports, LB, Yishun and Yoeleo will have to come up with a price strategy to lure in customers in 2019 due to upcoming tariffs, right? https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog ... ky-tariffs
I live in India, and plkan to order a wheelset to my daughter in the US. Will these tariffs apply? I thought that upto 800 dollars was free of import duty?

User avatar
Beaver
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:06 pm
Location: Lower Saxony - Germany

by Beaver

deepakvrao wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:47 am
Just looking at Light Bicycles wheels, and from wht I have read [elsewhere] V rims are outdated, but they still sell only V in the wider rims? Am I m issing something?
Bontrager just got back to V-shape and those wheels are among the fastest around:

Image

But don't expect to feel any speed difference of wheels with the same height but different shapes - it's all within a few watts. ;)

They only noticable difference is crosswind stability, and despite all the Zipp marketing round shapes are worse here and teardrop shapes as seen on Reynolds rims best.

Image

warthog101
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:05 am

by warthog101


Beaver wrote:
deepakvrao wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:47 am
Just looking at Light Bicycles wheels, and from wht I have read [elsewhere] V rims are outdated, but they still sell only V in the wider rims? Am I m issing something?
Bontrager just got back to V-shape and those wheels are among the fastest around:

Image

But don't expect to feel any speed difference of wheels with the same height but different shapes - it's all within a few watts. ;)

They only noticable difference is crosswind stability, and despite all the Zipp marketing round shapes are worse here and teardrop shapes as seen on Reynolds rims best.

Image
Not my experience. Rims with a narrow leading edge blow around in crosswinds far more than the more rounded profile wheels.
Suggest you read this;
http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2014/09/ ... l.html?m=1

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk


User avatar
Beaver
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:06 pm
Location: Lower Saxony - Germany

by Beaver

warthog101 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:31 am
Not my experience. Rims with a narrow leading edge blow around in crosswinds far more than the more rounded profile wheels.
Suggest you read this;
http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2014/09/ ... l.html?m=1
How old and wide were the V-shape rims you used? You can't compare an old set with strongly overlapping tires to the new ones.

warthog101
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:05 am

by warthog101

Read the link.
It is about the aerodynamics of the front of the wheel and the back of the wheel matching or approximating each other at yaw angles so that the force applied front and back is similar, ie less steering force applied.
I fail to see how a V shaped rim can have the same trailing profile as the tyre.


Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk


SloRacer
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:41 am

by SloRacer

deepakvrao wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:23 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:29 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:58 pm
LB is advertising "black friday is coming, up to 30% off". No details though.
I wouldn't trust that. They'll probably raise prices and offer a discount to break even.
LB told that if I wait for the upcoming sale, I'd save $22 if I end up ordering WR3602 wheels for $702 + $78 delivery to U.S.A.
Not that great of a deal. For $150 more, I can pick up AL33 ceramic (32.5mm deep and 26.5mm wide) with superior WI T11 hubs or $100 cheaper for DT 350 hubs.

FarSports, LB, Yishun and Yoeleo will have to come up with a price strategy to lure in customers in 2019 due to upcoming tariffs, right? https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog ... ky-tariffs
I live in India, and plkan to order a wheelset to my daughter in the US. Will these tariffs apply? I thought that upto 800 dollars was free of import duty?
I'm from India too!
Light bicycle doesn't ship to India right?

deepakvrao
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:44 am

by deepakvrao

SloRacer wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:40 pm
deepakvrao wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:23 am
mpulsiv wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:29 pm
AJS914 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:58 pm
LB is advertising "black friday is coming, up to 30% off". No details though.
I wouldn't trust that. They'll probably raise prices and offer a discount to break even.
LB told that if I wait for the upcoming sale, I'd save $22 if I end up ordering WR3602 wheels for $702 + $78 delivery to U.S.A.
Not that great of a deal. For $150 more, I can pick up AL33 ceramic (32.5mm deep and 26.5mm wide) with superior WI T11 hubs or $100 cheaper for DT 350 hubs.

FarSports, LB, Yishun and Yoeleo will have to come up with a price strategy to lure in customers in 2019 due to upcoming tariffs, right? https://novemberbicycles.com/blogs/blog ... ky-tariffs
I live in India, and plkan to order a wheelset to my daughter in the US. Will these tariffs apply? I thought that upto 800 dollars was free of import duty?
I'm from India too!
Light bicycle doesn't ship to India right?
They do, but more expensive than shipping to the US, and then again Indian customs will screw you.

deepakvrao
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:44 am

by deepakvrao

Hey guys,

Those using the LB 56 rims, which would be the easiest to mount tubeless tyre? Been using Schwalbe Pro Ones on my older alloy rims, and mounting them reduces me to tears.

deepakvrao
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:44 am

by deepakvrao

Beaver wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:13 am
deepakvrao wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:47 am
Just looking at Light Bicycles wheels, and from wht I have read [elsewhere] V rims are outdated, but they still sell only V in the wider rims? Am I m issing something?


But don't expect to feel any speed difference of wheels with the same height but different shapes - it's all within a few watts. ;)

They only noticable difference is crosswind stability, and despite all the Zipp marketing round shapes are worse here and teardrop shapes as seen on Reynolds rims best.

Image
I was referring to stability in wind actually, not speed.

Nefarious86
Moderator
Posts: 3274
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Contact:

by Nefarious86

Keen to see what they come up with in the BlackTek road stuff. Hoping for a 30x35 with 22/23mm hooked internal.

Built on CL 240s with 24/28 J-bend CX-Rays and 26mm turbo cottons would make a mint semi aero hills wheelset to go with my 7.8s :)


Edit: Just got a reply back, apparently they will be doing a 38x31-2mm road rim in the BlackTek technology. Party time.

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie


User avatar
Beaver
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:06 pm
Location: Lower Saxony - Germany

by Beaver

warthog101 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:43 am
Read the link.
It is about the aerodynamics of the front of the wheel and the back of the wheel matching or approximating each other at yaw angles so that the force applied front and back is similar, ie less steering force applied.
I fail to see how a V shaped rim can have the same trailing profile as the tyre.
:noidea: According to the XXX whitepaper Bontrager aimed to reduce sideforces and ended up with a "sharper" shape. Tour mag. and many users claim the Reynolds are affected least by crosswinds. So...

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post