Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Everything about building wheels, glueing tubs, etc.
AJS914

by AJS914

People seem to generally have good luck with Farsports, Yeoleo, and Light Bicycle. You can read through the topic for other recommendations.

by Weenie

spartacus

by spartacus

AJS914 wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:51 am
People seem to generally have good luck with Farsports, Yeoleo, and Light Bicycle. You can read through the topic for other recommendations.
Thanks.

Looks like the farsports are inexpensive, but the yeoleo and light bicycle wheels are approaching how much "real" brands charge for wheels.

I may just be ignorant though. Nonetheless the farsports sound like a relative bargain if they're well built, on the other hand..

Makes me wonder about something like these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/23mm-Wi ... bcd27b42e4

and how different they are

emotive

by emotive

spartacus wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:02 am
AJS914 wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:51 am
Thanks.

Looks like the farsports are inexpensive, but the yeoleo and light bicycle wheels are approaching how much "real" brands charge for wheels.

I may just be ignorant though. Nonetheless the farsports sound like a relative bargain if they're well built, on the other hand..
These brands are gaining a reputation for quality and performance. They outperform many of the western brands already, check the Hambini wind tunnel tests from the UK https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 3&t=153138
Makes me wonder about something like these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/23mm-Wi ... bcd27b42e4

and how different they are
They are tubular wheels. Tubular wheels are very different to clincher wheels, the rim structure is different, the wheel is cheaper to manufacture, but the tyres are more expensive, and need to be glued to the rim.

AJS914

by AJS914

Those CSC cheapies on Aliexpress can be had as clinchers. $267.33 for 50mm! The price is quite incredible and tempting as I've been looking at spending around $600 at Farsports. For that price you don't even get specs on the rim. What's the width? Internal width? Profile shape?

Farsports, Yoeleo, LightBicycle, etc. are name brands who (I presume) manufacture their own rims and sell direct. One can presume that there is a higher degree of design and engineering and quality control that goes into the rims. And the only thing we can go on is other experiences we find on the forum.

Aside from getting a decently built wheel my chief concern is a melted brake track on a carbon clincher. If you live in a hilly or mountainous area, I'd pay the money and get a big name brand wheelset (Campagnolo, Roval, Zipp, etc). If you live in a pretty flat area and are hardly ever brake going down a mountain then I think you can safely buy the cheaper Chinese clinchers.

Here's a review of a melted brake track on a CSC wheel. It's from four years ago. Have generic carbon rims improved much since then?

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... p?t=133976

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Received the Tubeless 50mm carbon wheels from the Farsports awhile ago and have been riding them around in hilly terrains (and flats)

Braking noise was non existent. I don't know why others with big brand carbon wheels have it. They brake pretty well, but I'm not that heavy to begin with (65kg). I'm using the stock black brake pads they came with.

Tire mounting was super easy, even better without the spoke holes. The tires just pops in easily with little force. I'm currently using GPS4000SII 23mm front and 25mm rear.

Comparing to the 303s, these are a steal. The 303s does have slightly better braking, better front wheel stiffness (when carving corners), but I suspect this is down to the fact that I'm using T11 hubs. Zipp hubs are completely junk though... (I hate them so badly)

cybernck

by cybernck

That's the issue I seem to be having at the moment. Farsports are the cheapest of the three and with free shipping - looks real good @ 600-650 USD with cheaper hubs.
However, if you have import duties to pay, then it comes to about 750 EUR for me. About 900 with DT hubs. For 950-1000 EUR, I can get VGC Zipp 303s. Hmmm :?.

AJS914

by AJS914

What do people think is a better choice from Farsports?

45mm depth - 28mm wide - 19.5mm internal
or
50mm depth - 25mm wide - 18mm internal - tubeless bead channels

I'm probably running 23mm GP4000s on my C59. They measure 25mm. I'm wondering if a 19.5mm internal rim will stretch them too wide.

emotive

by emotive

A 19.5mm rim will make the tyre 0.75mm wider than the 18mm rim. How much clearance do you currently have, and what is the inner width of your current rim?

AJS914

by AJS914

I think I can handle an additional couple of milimeters. More concerning is the height. I was looking at this:

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Wider rim width adds more extra width than height for standard (small tires).
It is especially true when trying to stretch really narrow tire on wide rim (like 23c on 21mm internal width).
If it get 0.75mm in width, you can expect less than half of that in height.

AJS914

by AJS914

If that graphic above is correct, it doesn't look like going from an 18mm wide rim to a 21mm is a big jump. Diminishing returns? I mean the increase from 14mm to 18mm wide is much larger percentage wise.

AJS914

by AJS914

I did some tests on my C59 with a set of Hed Ardennes C2 wheels. They are 23mm wide with an 18mm internal width. I can run a 23mm Grand Prix rather comfortably. I tried a 25mm Grand Prix on the front with that rim and I still had 4-5mm of distance between the tire and the top of the fork crown. It looks like I have one of the later C59s with a tiny bit of extra room. I should be good to go with either Farsports rim and 23mm GPs or even 25s.

AJS914

by AJS914

FWIW Farsports' aliexpress site is showing a sale starting Nov. 11th.

vanmatthew

by vanmatthew

Is Aliexpress the best place to purchase Farsports rims?

AJS914

by AJS914

That's an interesting question. Looking deeper I see two Farsports stores on Aliexpress:
Xiamen Farsports Co. Ali Store

and

Farsports Official Ali-Online Store

and then you can also order from:

https://www.wheelsfar.com/

by Weenie