Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beaver

by Beaver

Hexsense wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:55 am
While we still agree with information we observed from other people's tests.
Each time you state the observed speculation, you sound more and more generalized and conclusive like it become indisputable fact.
I fear that this can bring us too far from what data can provide us. And something might turn out to be not completely right. Consider using Scientist's way to talk from observation: claim and generalize a bit less.
Sorry for sounding absolute and I am always willing to accept new facts when tests or real life experience show, that things are different. We are here to discuss. :beerchug:

But e.g. the crosswind stability of Reynolds teardrop shape rims (not Strike SLG!) has been seen in two Tour Mag. tests, the Triathlon Mag. test, the DT Swiss/SwissSide test and personal experience from triathletes I met on the road (and those also complained about the 454 NSW in that regard).
Hexsense wrote:
Based on what we've seen so far, there are some small details i see a bit different in your post:
1.) Aero benefit of deep wheel is not completely gone. It's just reduced. Yes, based on Specialized claims: Roval CLX32 with matching tire width is more aero than Roval CLX 40 which is too narrow for modern tire. But the CLX40 is still more aero than box section rim anyway.
Yes, that was an exaggerated formulation. But people expect higher gains of their aero wheels, than they will ever be able to achieve anyway (just those few watts) and with an overlapping tire it's nearly gone. Every wind tunnel test of the manufacturers is done with the matching tires and front wheel only.

In direct head wind the differences are tiny, we agree on this? When you turn your wheel, the frontal area increases, so the drag should be higher, right? But the aerotests show us, that the drag is actually reduced - because the sailing effect ("lift") takes in and it is higher overall and compensates the higher frontal area. But this just doesn't work with an overlapping tire. The turbulences will eat up most of the benefit.
Hexsense wrote:
2.) Tire wider than rim in the rear wheel still have negative effect to aero (it does affect aerodynamics negativly) . It's just not nearly as bad as the front. Leading edge got shielded by seat tube, tailing edge when the tire is big and end abruptly still reduce aero-ness. With combined data from Flo and Silca's tests , we do rear wider than front because rear bear more weight and load than front wheel, bigger tire in the back should save more watts through rolling resistance than it lost by a little bit of being less aero. Hence could be faster in most conditions.
That was also an exaggerated formulation - I meant a 25mm tire on a 21C rim with 28mm outside, so a tiny overhang doesn't matter or is even better. A 28mm tire on such a rim will be worse, also in the rear. I just wanted to make clear, that the 105% rule doesn't help here.

And that's why Enve has slimmer rims in the rear:

And aerotests should always be combined with rolling resistance, but what kind of surface to choose? One should take smooth and rough tarmac and check with different tire sizes, that would be a very complex test. ;)

Here the author of the Silca Blog is looking back on the data they measured more than a decade ago: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?pos ... 3#p6350253

And have a look, what he is riding. ;)

But this is really not a topic to get upset about - rather why our countries spent a multiple budget on defence than on infrastructure and roads seem to get worse everywhere. We are here in an international forum and I don't think we want to kill each other causeless... Peace! ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I might have a bad day to sound quite negative in the post. I just meant to say we should be careful to not generalize and interpolate data too far from data that we have. Discussion with ground of fact or data are good. cheers :beerchug:

Beaver

by Beaver

Josh Poertner from Silca sounds also harsh in his post there:"That is to say that there is more or less a near zero change of your wheel/tire system being fast if the wheel and tire are of equal width.. it really only works if the rim is wider. (and really only works if the rim is at least 105% of measured tire width)"...

But maybe we can explain why, if we use this illustration from Campagnolo for the release of their Bora WTO wheels. That separated airflow at 20° increases the turbulences at the rims dramatically. And you will have the exact same effect - airflow loosing contact to the wheel already at the tire - when your tire is as wide or wider than the rim - and already in low angles. It's just the way the airflow works.

17C Zipp wheels with 25mm tires on front are not really faster than a wheelset with a much lower rim. And only because the differences are so small nobody notices it. ;)

And we can also use this again:

The top two rims on the left side have nearly the same turbulences despite completely different rim shapes - because the tire is wider than the rim. The airflow is already seperated at the tire. The third rim on the left following the 105% rule can lead the airflow around the rim and has nearly only half the turbulences.

The top V-shape rim on the right side with an overlapping tire is quite good whereas the 105% rim bottom right looses the airflow before the tire (as it is slimmer) and the torodial shape in the middle is worst as its shape only excels when the tire is leading. Maybe a strongly overlapping tire would help. ;)

Maybe we can get Hambini to do a CFD video for different rim shapes, crosswind stability and the effect of tire width. ;)

Beaver

by Beaver

And again from Tour Mag. test 3/2017: what watt differences one can expect at 45km/h:

https://www.tour-magazin.de/raeder/renn ... 43981.html

Reynolds Strike (torodial) vs. Zipp 404 FC (torodial):

Hm. :D

Reynolds Aero 46 (teardrop) vs. Zipp 404 FC (torodial):

10 watts, but only in high angles - and the Zipp is 12mm higher...

Fulcrum Racing 7 (low box shape) vs. Zipp 404 FC (torodial):

25 watts in high angles.

Mavic Ksyrium Pro (low box shape and thick spokes) vs. Zipp 404 FC (torodial):

Up to nearly 30 watts in high angles.

In real life - with the low box shapes - one might notice a 0.5 km/h diffence at 35 km/h and strong 17 km/h head wind from high angles (or going downhill).

With lower speeds or low wind it gets very difficult to find any difference in speed. ;) This is really nothing to be overestimated.

A wrong tire choice and therefore a higher rolling resistance can eat up the aero benefits easily.

And these are not the watts needed with a real rider - overall that would be around 450 watts. The differences just look bigger this way. ;)

Marin

by Marin

There was a nice, thorough test in another german magazine - on the track. Some of the fastest wheels were low-profile alloy rims, proves that you really need high yaw angles / crosswinds for tall rims to work AT ALL.

And - the faster you go, the smaller your yaw angles get...

Beaver

by Beaver

This one: https://www.procycling.de/assets/magazi ... ketest.pdf

But without any crosswinds (which occurs rather infrequent in real life...) all that matters is frontal area. So the set with the lowest hub flange gap was fastest. High, wide rims won't help here, but on the road.

Marin

by Marin

As you know, even on the road, typical yaw angles will be under 10°, if you live away from the coast closer to 5°. So only the center portion of the yaw plots is relevant.

Beaver

by Beaver

And this is why we should ask, if torodial rimshapes are the best choice... Teardrop shapes are not worse in low angles but suffer far less from crosswinds.

The only problem is the higher weight - but for fast time trials and triathletes those should really be the better choice...

And btt: has anyone tried these Enve copy cats? They even got the textured brake track...

https://www.tokyowheel.com/products/epi ... r-wheelset

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

To folks who laced up Light-Bycicle RR46C02 rims, what was the ERD you used to calculate the spoke length? The product page states 548mm, the nipple end distance + nipple height method yields 553.6mm and the two spokes and gap method yields 550.76mm. I'm quite confused.

marioc

by marioc

I used wheelpro method of measuring ERD (I think it's the same as linked parktool's) and it was 548mm on one rim and 548.5mm on another. I used 548mm for both rims in wheelpro and dt swiss spoke calculator for sapim cx-ray spokes and sapim 14mm nipples.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

marioc wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:21 am
I used wheelpro method of measuring ERD (I think it's the same as linked parktool's) and it was 548mm on one rim and 548.5mm on another. I used 548mm for both rims in wheelpro and dt swiss spoke calculator for sapim cx-ray spokes and sapim 14mm nipples.
That's strange, two people reported 548mm and LB confirmed that rim/disc rims have same ERD. I measured with both Pillar PT735 and Sapim Polyax nipples (BTW, the spoke can't be threaded by hand past the indent, a key is required to reach bottom of the nipple head slot) and Pillar PSR X-TRA1420 straight pull / J-bent. I even removed the tire from second rim and measured it too. All measurements end up about ~550-551mm. Maybe the newer version of rims has different ERD? Mine were manufactured late May and weight ~422g. Gonna see what LB answers to my inquiry, will keep you posted.

pushstart

by pushstart

According to my notes, I used measured ERD of 550mm. So it was likely just under that (548.5-549), since I used Polyax washers.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

The LB replied with this:
For our ERD, it does not include the nipple dimension. Did you pay attention to it?
The ERD does not include the nipples dimension, but include the spoke holes thinkness.
LightBicycle ERD.jpg
LightBicycle ERD.jpg (6.43 KiB) Viewed 1590 times
So either LB means something else by ERD or I'm doing something wrong. I found a useful ERD scheme on Nextie's site that aligns with all ERD measurement guides. When I measured ERD of my CarbonBicycle rims by this exactly same method the value matched with what was claimed.
Attachments
Nextie ERD.png

marioc

by marioc

Use that ERD measurement. If you're going to use washers, add their thickness to ERD and you'll be fine. I used that method and spoke length turn out to be correct.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Beaver wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:09 pm
And btt: has anyone tried these Enve copy cats? They even got the textured brake track...

https://www.tokyowheel.com/products/epi ... r-wheelset
Those Tokyos are very appealing. I've been waiting for the textured brake tracks to hit the open mold type providers, and it has been taking a frustratingly long time. Strangely, they don't really discuss the brake tracks in the product page. They just say that they have "High Temperature Carbon" for superior braking, but no mention of the texture itself. I'd also love to hear anyone's real world experiences with these, both in terms of braking performance in the wet, and the durability of the texture.