Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Well, i just pulled the trigger on a set of no-name carbon rims from ebay store velocarbon. They have been around since 2013, and had decient communication.

56mm depth
Clinchers
Torroidal shape
25mm at brake tracts, 27mm at max.
20/24 spokes
18k carbon weave (just like my felt frame, the main selling point)
Basalt brake tracks (i don’t have huge descents to manage)

I will pair them With carbon ti x-hubs (light, durable, not crazy expensive), And cxray spokes. I will have my lbs put them together for piece of mind.
BB86133E-4603-490E-9D3B-AD9B03870488.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Looks like a fast wheelset, not heavy either. Me likee

Only the braking might not be up to par. Did you ask for tubeless compatible rims? They are heavier but with the trend you might like to do that.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:35 pm
Looks like a fast wheelset, not heavy either. Me likee

Only the braking might not be up to par. Did you ask for tubeless compatible rims? They are heavier but with the trend you might like to do that.
Thanks. I hope they are quick. Marginal aero gains for sure, but given the upgrade from the aero bricks i run now (mavic r-sys slr... light, but that is it), maybe i will notice something. Mind you, after 4 months of winter... there will be no science in the comparison. I figure what i gain on flats will be lost in climbs, but they will look badassed... and that is waht really counts. :D

My understanding is that they are tubeless compatable.

Braking may suck, but where i live it is more rolling hills, and a few short but steep descents/climbs. Brake fade is unheard of in my area, i am light, and i don’t ride in the rain if i can avoid it. I will probably even keep the latex tubes going. Tubeless may be an option, but at the moment i am not super keen.

Estimated weight is 1440g based on their reported weights, and my lighter hubs (same spokes).

svendsvin

by svendsvin

danridesbikes wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:51 pm
anything deeper than the LB 56mm but still 30mm wide about? the LB 65mm is only 25.85mm wide, which is on the narrow side these days
The lb rims are actually 28mm wide just not at the rim:

ImageImage

Hexsense

by Hexsense

LB have 36 and 46mm in wide format to mostly replace 35 and 45mm for a long long while before 56. Then they caught with big demand of the 36 and 46 that the 56mm replacing 55mm was only released last year, quite sometime after the 36 and 46. Who knows how long would it take for them to replace 65 with 66 or 66.6mm in wide V shape too.

Venn VAR 77 (77mm deep, 21mm internal width, 30mm external width) seems to be closest thing to what you are after.
Other options: Cannondale's KNOT 64 wheelset, Bontrager Aeolus XXX (60mm).

peted76

by peted76

LB 56mm rim mounted with a 25c tyre... is this a bad idea or is it ideal aero goodness?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

peted76 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:32 pm
LB 56mm rim mounted with a 25c tyre... is this a bad idea or is it ideal aero goodness?
Implying from Cannondale spec non-oversized 23c on their 21mm internal width rims.
25c (especially if a bit oversized) on 23mm internal width should work good too. In fact it's the combo i use on my front wheel.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

We should also remember that with the “rule of 105”, that is the max width before significant aero losses take effect. Narrower tires are still faster. It is ideal for the tire to be the same or narrower than the brake tracks.

That is partly why i went with 25mm(27mm) wheels... aero of 23mm wheels, and the carbon (asthetics) won the day for me. Plus, my brakes go up to 27.5mm, so i wanted a bit of wiggle room as i dislike brake pad rub in the rear.

I figured 23c tires (24-25mm measured) would do me well given the roads i run, and my weight. If i go aero, i am doing it right.
Last edited by RocketRacing on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZR3

by AZR3

Just a quick update for anyone interested

I finally got around to mounting my Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11 Storm TLR 25mm tires on my Lightbike WR56C02 wheels.
Weight of the tires is listed at 255g and both were under that at 243g/237g
Mounting was not an issue, no levers needed and used my compressor to seat the bead, so no issues with that either, very smooth install overall.
Pumped to about 75psi they measured 27.25mm, honestly thought they’d have expanded more.

Not sure when I’ll have a chance to ride them but wanted to post my mounting experience and the overall measurement for the tires with these wheels.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I should add that i doubt the actual width of my open mould wheel i ordered.

Lots of apparent dropshippers with the same wheels:
- velocarbon is seller on ebay
- on alibaba the same wheels are present under “shenzhen Miracle bikes” as the manufacturer.
- also on alibaba is The shenzen Cratic bike store (miracle owned the us trademark for cratic but apparently did not pick it up again last year).
- carbonfan has them too, but with more customization options (but they are in Xiamen, Fujian Province)
- remainder shenzen, guangdong, china.

The diagram shows 27mm at the brake tracks, and no data for max width, although it looks wider based on the cross section drawings. The cratic rims use the same apparent media pictures, but width is 27.25mm

I asked about width, and was told “25mm inner width, 27mm outer width.” Whatever that means... hahaha. Either way, i can work with 25mm at the brake tracks, or 27mm, or 27.25, but i wont order tires until i can measure the rims myself...

All kind of sketchy...

martinkartin

by martinkartin

Has anyone tried purchasing from a Deer Cycles? I saw them in instrsgram and they seem to have a nice range of road rims. I was looking for an asymmetric rim set for disc brakes between 30-45mm. Any other recommendations?
Factor O2 Disc

Jugi

by Jugi

After building up my Spesh Tarmac Pro SL6 during October, I started to think I might need a new wheelset to compliment those (modern) wide forks. 20mm wide (or less) rims just looked a bit out of place under the bike.

So, I spotted this pair of Syntace HiTorque RS hubs during November with a very nice price tag and couldn't pass them up. They were quoted as 266g/pair and proved to be just that on the scale:

I had already specced the wheelset so didn't have to think very long before ordering Light Bicycle's RRU45T02 tubular rims, non-disc grooved braking surface, matte UD finish and stealth decals. 20 holes front and 24 holes back. Advertised as 410g/rim with +-15g variance, my pair was very close.

Front rim, RRU45T02 20 hole:

Rear rim, RRU45T02 24 hole:

I have built some wheels before but this was the first time I had to take measurements from the hubs by myself, as I couldn't find the official dimensions of the HiTorque hubs anywhere. For lacing I decided on radial front and 3-cross rear (both sides, as Syntace's factory built wheels with the HiTorque hubs were laced like this), which gave me 260mm spokes for front and 276mm for rear.

Sapim CX-Ray J-bend, 260mm, 20pcs:

Sapim CX-Ray J-bend, 276mm, 24pcs:

Sapim Polyax Double Square nipples, 44pcs:

I estimated the whole set to be about 1320g (scale errors etc. included) but happily ended up little under:

Light Bicycle RRU45T02 rim brake 20 hole + Syntace HiTorque RS, Sapim CX-Ray front wheel:

Light Bicycle RRU45T02 rim brake 24 hole + Syntace HiTorque RS, Sapim CX-Ray rear wheel:

1304g for the complete set, which is exactly what I wanted. 45mm deep rims which are 25mm wide at the edge of braking surface and about 27mm at their widest point. Will be running a 22 or 23mm tubular in front and 24 or 25mm rear. Pics of the whole set will follow as soon as I get to it.

Regarding the braking surface, the jury will stay out for some time as I'll get to ride outside with these most likely no earlier than April. With no experience in composite manufacturing, it's really hard to tell how the textured braking surface has been made. The texture is very fine, just deep enough to stop a finger nail but definetly less than one millimeter in depth. Like my earlier purchase from Light Bicycle (RR56C02) these have a very nice finish, but at some points of the braking surfaces there is some kind of residue left from manufacturing (just about visible in the picture below). I suspect the texture has been etched somehow into the outermost layer, as the finish reminds me of heavy duty laser etching. It will be interesting to see how they start to wear.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

@Jugi, whilst the wheels look nice the flage spacing of the font hub is incredibly narrow. Honestly, it looks like a TT specific hub... I would not want to sprint or climb on that thing!!

Jugi

by Jugi

Yup, it will be interesting to see how I get on with it. I took some measurements in the garage and from all the front wheels I have, some are close but this definetly takes the price as the narrowest spacing between flanges.

Some reviews on Syntace’s W21 and W23 wheels (with these hubs) complain about front wheel stiffness and some don’t mention it. One even applauded them for being ”one of the sturdiest sets I have ever ridden”. My current favorite road cycling wheelset’s front hub has a maximally wide flange spacing, so I might end up not liking these under the road bike. If that happens, they deserve a second try under my TT bike, maybe with some deeper rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Yeah, they seem like a great tt hub for sure! Keep those spokes in tight.

Kind of funny, because i am new to wheel building (so i asked on hub advice) and did not even realize that hubs had different spoke spacing (width)

Here are the carbon ti in comparison... the front is quite a bit wider. Probably overkill for my needs, but oh well.

Edit: my mavics are pretty wide also. Makes sense as i am pretty sure the r-sys slr’s were designed to have the worst possible aerodynamics.