Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Can't go wrong with 38mm for a climbing/allround bike. It'll give you a bit of free speed on flats/descents while not adding more than around 50 gr over the shallowest rims.

7 bar and 60kg you don't need any crazy wide rim. 25-28mm wide is sufficient. 23mm tire being optimal aerowise, 25mm being acceptable' like on the rear wheel. Might even be wise from a rolling resistance point of view.

As for hubs there is a debate on what is a good choice right now. Some people get pissed when the hub needs servicing 1-2 year intervals, and some would gladly take the weight reduction.

I live in China so I'm not familiar with the hubs available to you. Are you going to build the wheel yourself or let someone do it? A builder that guarantees the build would have certain hubs/spokes in mind.

I'm an amateur that builds his own wheels. If I were you I'd pick 24 spoke rears and fronts. Check farsports for rims maybe. Depending on the hubs you should come out to 1350-1450gr. Spokes that are in that price range would be aero ones like sapim cx-ray's, cn424, pillar1420. Spoke nipples I recommend alloy Pillar DSN. As for spoke length calculation it depends on your hub/nipple choice.

RZack89

by RZack89

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I've got a "pro" wheelbuilder friend, so he will assembly for me the set.

Usually I ride with 25mm clinchers, so a 25mm rim widht I think could be ok. For the hubs I was interested in the newmen or carbon-ti set, they are light and look "serious".

I was also looking these rims:.
https://www.carbonfan.com/t800-700c-car ... -xy-series

What do you think about the 25mm width version? Clincher/Tubeless and 25mm or 35mm depth

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Velt

by Velt

JohnPeopleman wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:33 am
Velt wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:02 am
JohnPeopleman wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:31 am

They look very nice. With a slightly narrower internal width they may allow a true 28mm to work on the front. They say tubeless only. I assume it's still fine to run tubes.

Have you found any reports on them?
Only the same things emotive posted above, but they also offer a symmetric rim with those dimensions anyways
Hmm. I suppose a quick message to Yishun to address the spoke drilling could help. However, it really sounds like LB are reliable. How much better do you think Yishun's profile is over LB's? Does asymmetric matter at 56mm. At that depth (56mm), does the U shape still trump the hybrid shape LB has?
I asked hambini via email his opinion on the profile and he suggested depth trumps all. He said the yishuns would probably rate about the same as the dura ace c60/50 which are basically the same as the LB rims. I got a quote from yishun - they were cheaper than LB but heavier, I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet.

If you do please post back with your opinion!

JohnPeopleman

by JohnPeopleman

Velt wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:27 am
JohnPeopleman wrote:
Velt wrote:
JohnPeopleman wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:31 am

They look very nice. With a slightly narrower internal width they may allow a true 28mm to work on the front. They say tubeless only. I assume it's still fine to run tubes.

Have you found any reports on them?
Only the same things emotive posted above, but they also offer a symmetric rim with those dimensions anyways
Hmm. I suppose a quick message to Yishun to address the spoke drilling could help. However, it really sounds like LB are reliable. How much better do you think Yishun's profile is over LB's? Does asymmetric matter at 56mm. At that depth (56mm), does the U shape still trump the hybrid shape LB has?
I asked hambini via email his opinion on the profile and he suggested depth trumps all. He said the yishuns would probably rate about the same as the dura ace c60/50 which are basically the same as the LB rims. I got a quote from yishun - they were cheaper than LB but heavier, I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet.

On the back of that info I'm probably going to pick up 3 RR56C02s. A 24 hole front disc for my next road bike and 2 x 28 holes for a son28 12mm CL front and disc rear.

Velt

by Velt

JohnPeopleman wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:02 am
Velt wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:27 am
JohnPeopleman wrote:
Velt wrote:

On the back of that info I'm probably going to pick up 3 RR56C02s. A 24 hole front disc for my next road bike and 2 x 28 holes for a son28 12mm CL front and disc rear.
I'm sure you'll be happy. Could always just ask yishun for a quote as well.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Hasn’t arrived yet, but what depth do you guys think I should get to go with this frame? 46/56mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

LeDuke wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:31 pm
Hasn’t arrived yet, but what depth do you guys think I should get to go with this frame? 46/56mm?
I'd go with LB 56. Does the fork has massive clearance like other aero disc forks?

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Regarding carbonfan.com. Anybody ordered from there?
https://www.carbonfan.com/t800-700c-car ... -xy-series
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

JohnPeopleman

by JohnPeopleman

I'm sure you'll be happy. Could always just ask yishun for a quote as well.
I bought the three rims last night. I’m going to purchase the hardware from BHS and will build them up in the near future. I’ll post some pictures when they’re done.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:29 am
LeDuke wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:31 pm
I'd go with LB 56. Does the fork has massive clearance like other aero disc forks?
I'll let you know what it gets here. I'd hope so. I'd like to be able to run a big fat 28mm tire on it, front and rear.

Also hoping/guessing the fork has partially internal cable routing. Hard to tell from some pictures.

Edit: After looking at a couple other resellers of that frame, it looks like the fork has internal routing coming in from top of the left fork leg.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Are LB the best deal going these days for wide, moderately deep carbon?

Hard to keep track of all of the companies. Nextie seem to be $20-30/rim more expensive, and slightly heavier, for a comparable product.

Velt

by Velt

LeDuke wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:02 pm
Are LB the best deal going these days for wide, moderately deep carbon?

Hard to keep track of all of the companies. Nextie seem to be $20-30/rim more expensive, and slightly heavier, for a comparable product.

Try Yishun

Nbriles2000

by Nbriles2000

Does anyone know if any manufacturers make a 650b disc wheelset in the sub $500 range? The lightest thing I can find are hunts wheels at about 1550g

spartacus

by spartacus

Is there a source of pre-built wheels that seems to be reliable and well made, or do you have to buy the rims then have someone build them for them to be trustworthy? Looks like alibaba is having a big 11/11 sale and there are lots of wheels there, who knows if they are good or not.

AJS914

by AJS914

People seem to generally have good luck with Farsports, Yeoleo, and Light Bicycle. You can read through the topic for other recommendations.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com