Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

Ordered a set of LB wr56 a couple days ago.

I'll almost sure have to retire my KCNC CB1 brakes with the LB 56, which are nearly new (800km only), but I have a set of non-series Campagnolo Skeleton still unused and they open really wide. If all goes wrong I got some long arm Shimano non-series at hand, those will work for sure until I get something "better".
I got a pair of Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR 23mm and also Fusion 5 Galatik (old model) to try on them. Let's see what they will measure, I will report back. I really wish Vittoria's CS will measure OK because they are the fastest rolling ones. Otherwise I'll try to order the same in 25mm later.
But it will take a while, since I live in Brazil and customs/mail is always delayed. I'd be happy to have them still in january! LOL

I asked LB if they had sold wheels to Brazilian costumers before, they had but mostly MTB wheels, a shop that ordered 6 sets, and only one road/rimbrake set which is in their gallery, from a distant smaller city. None of them wr56 model, all of them from other states. So I'll get lots of WTF looks here!

I was between BTLOS 60 and these, the first seems to have quite nice aero shape and is lighter, but no reports and no data, and LB has been having solid positive reviews. Also we have some "data" (hambini's test for those who choose to believe it), so I thought "they match Zipp's 404, can't be bad", and also, if they are wide, I can get those extra watts from rolling resistance, and 200g more won't make a difference (50 from the wheels plus the heavier brakes I'll have for now, since KCNC don't take 30mm). Well, that's my theory. But I'd still be happy trying out BTLOS for sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

ericoschmitt wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:58 am
mrlobber wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:47 pm
Premium. Wanted Extralight but BTLOS said for disc brakes they don't recommend Extralight. Which kinda seemed weird to me, but...
It's probably because the Extralight is more fragile around spokes, and disc brakes add tension when you brake hard, and that could lead to cracks.

Nice to hear someone ordered BTLOS 60, I was on the fence between them and LB 56, but have ordered LB a couple days ago (laced to Bitex, rim brake). Please report back on your BTLOS, maybe create another thread dedicated for this brand and post the link on this one too.
Wow, BTLOS shure offer a wide range of brake tracks on their rims! That is really cool that they can do all of those different tracks, althought it would be nice if they offered some insight into if one is better than the other. The only info I could find was just saying, basically, "Tell us what you want" but doesn't address if one offers better brakign force, durability, etc... https://btlos.com/new-brake-technology-from-btlos.html

Since they offer all those variations, they are uniquely positioned to be able to offer candid suggestions, instead of being wedded to the 1 design they have committed to selling, as is the case with most other brands.

Pinguin

by Pinguin

Btlos say theres no difference in brake power between their three textured brake tracks
Its only a style option

emotive

by emotive

TheKaiser wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:02 am
Wow, BTLOS shure offer a wide range of brake tracks on their rims! That is really cool that they can do all of those different tracks, althought it would be nice if they offered some insight into if one is better than the other. The only info I could find was just saying, basically, "Tell us what you want" but doesn't address if one offers better brakign force, durability, etc... https://btlos.com/new-brake-technology-from-btlos.html

Since they offer all those variations, they are uniquely positioned to be able to offer candid suggestions, instead of being wedded to the 1 design they have committed to selling, as is the case with most other brands.
This indicates to me they are a trading house, sourcing rims from a number of rim factories. Molds are expensive, and these guys are new, so I don't think they own all of these molds.

Before you commit, ask the sales person what wheels they ride. Or rather, do they even ride a bike. I will be surprised if they ride bikes and thus I will be surprised if they can describe any difference in braking surface performance.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I will search back through this thread... but some 18k carbon wheels caught my eye on ebay. They are the only wheels i have found to date with this carbon (and it matches the carbon on my felt frame).

Velocarbon the vendor, but they are no name open mould. 56mm, 27mm wide. U shaped. Would be perfect for 25cc tires!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/56mm-18K-Carbo ... nav=SEARCH

My concern is that when you spec with 240s dt swiss hubs... it is getting a bit pricy for an ebay seller. Warranty seems to be 1 year. A bit sketchy.

Light bicycle was another option, but their rims are 25mm (a bit too narrow for 25cc) or 28mm (too wide for my gen 2 ee brakes) and they only do up to 12k carbon.

Btlos looks interesting. Better waranty, actual website. Good prices, but again a but narrow at 26mm. 27mm seems like a sweet spot.

Makes me think that btlos, yoeleo, etc are all from the same factory.

AJS914

by AJS914

It looks like you are also getting cxray spokes when you step up to the DT240s on those wheels. I just had some Farsports wheels built with DT350s hubs. They are really nice hubs though they come with a weight penalty.

My Farsports wheels are 25mm wide at the brake track. I put 25mm GP4000 tires on them which measure out to 27mm. The 23mm GPs would have been a few watts faster but I wanted the comfort. Just looking at them, they appear to be about the same width as the rim thought I know they are a tiny bit wider. I'm glad to trade those few watts for the comfort.

For a no-name ebay wheel I think I'd just go with those Bitex or Chosen hubs. You might have to replace some bearings down the road but you'll still be far ahead in overall price. I know people that have had great luck with Bitex.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Yeah, good point.

The chosen seems to be a decient deal for price to weight. 30g difference for the wheelset, for a good 1/3rd less money vs cxray and 240s.

The tubular options seem uber cheap. I did some quick pricing, and the tubular rims with 240s hubs and the cxray spokes are near the same price for the hubs and spokes alone (shipping and duty aside). Tubular would suit my weight weenie build, but modern clinchers are so good these days...

I priced their rims alone, but still cheaper to have them build them.

Pinguin

by Pinguin

Hi there
Farsport sell Tubular Rims in 35x25 with 270 Gr. if you ask for
Are there experience from anyone?
Thanks

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

RocketRacing wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:30 pm
I will search back through this thread... but some 18k carbon wheels caught my eye on ebay. They are the only wheels i have found to date with this carbon (and it matches the carbon on my felt frame).

Velocarbon the vendor, but they are no name open mould. 56mm, 27mm wide. U shaped. Would be perfect for 25cc tires!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/56mm-18K-Carbo ... nav=SEARCH

My concern is that when you spec with 240s dt swiss hubs... it is getting a bit pricy for an ebay seller. Warranty seems to be 1 year. A bit sketchy.

Light bicycle was another option, but their rims are 25mm (a bit too narrow for 25cc) or 28mm (too wide for my gen 2 ee brakes) and they only do up to 12k carbon.

Btlos looks interesting. Better waranty, actual website. Good prices, but again a but narrow at 26mm. 27mm seems like a sweet spot.

Makes me think that btlos, yoeleo, etc are all from the same factory.

Isn't the shape of these ebay wheels the same as BTLOS?

LB has the WR56 30mm wide in rim brakes. Ordered a pair a few days ago. If your frame can take it... And the brakes too. My current KCNC CB1 won't open wide enough, but I will swap. That or file the pads...

They also offer 46mm deep 28mm wide, and some other depths at similar widths (27 to 29)

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

ericoschmitt wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:35 pm

LB has the WR56 30mm wide in rim brakes. Ordered a pair a few days ago. If your frame can take it... And the brakes too. My current KCNC CB1 won't open wide enough, but I will swap. That or file the pads...

They also offer 46mm deep 28mm wide, and some other depths at similar widths (27 to 29)
I think the shape is subtly different, in that depth has a 56mm option (what i am looking at) and is 27mm at the brake tracks (vs btlo 26mm).

They caught my eye because of the 18k carbon, but the 27mm wide brake tracts should be perfect for 25cc gt5000’s, and my eebrakes (2nd gen) can take up to 27.5mm rims. I am not against 28mm, and i have been in extensive contact with lb, as they were my first choice (haha, now they won’t leave me alone).

And downsides or tricks to shaving brake pads? Reduced life aside, I figure the trick is to not glaze them, and to do an even job, or you may get poor rim/pad contact.

I am not against the lb 28mm rims... if they fit.

But my eyes want 18k.

AJS914

by AJS914

Some companies make low profile brake pads:

http://www.swissstop.com/brakepads/rimb ... ackprince/

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

... but my brain says that wheels are not a great way to “go cheap”. Bit of a mission critical piece to risk you health and safety on.

Plus it would go againt the spirit of my build to add 150g in wheels... even if it is faster. Now... 40mm deep rims are only a 30g penalty from my current wheels...

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:27 pm
Some companies make low profile brake pads:

http://www.swissstop.com/brakepads/rimb ... ackprince/
Cool! Thanks. I learn something new each day!

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

RocketRacing wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:34 pm
ericoschmitt wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:35 pm

I think the shape is subtly different, in that depth has a 56mm option (what i am looking at) and is 27mm at the brake tracks (vs btlo 26mm).

They caught my eye because of the 18k carbon, but the 27mm wide brake tracts should be perfect for 25cc gt5000’s, and my eebrakes (2nd gen) can take up to 27.5mm rims. I am not against 28mm, and i have been in extensive contact with lb, as they were my first choice (haha, now they won’t leave me alone).

And downsides or tricks to shaving brake pads? Reduced life aside, I figure the trick is to not glaze them, and to do an even job, or you may get poor rim/pad contact.

I am not against the lb 28mm rims... if they fit.

But my eyes want 18k.
The width difference could very well be because one is measured at the brake track and the other at the widest spot, but they are the same. Or they are just too similar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I have asked for clarification, but the diagram suggests 27mm at the brake track.