Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

niklasp

by niklasp

Beaver wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:02 pm
niklasp wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:05 pm
I'm gonna try disc wheels from far sports. Aero gains says I should go with 30mm wide rims, but they are 23 internal. 28mm rims are 21mm internal and that seems more appropriate for 28mm wide tires (Fairlight Strael 2).

40mm or 45mm is another question...
30mm outside and 23mm inside would be the better option for 28mm tires... ;)

I know... But, 23mm wide rims will make them too wide to race cyclocross and Specialized 33mm tires. I've already tried that.

Maybe 28mm / 21mm is more of a sweet spot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jugi

by Jugi

Pinguin wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:59 am
How do you like the new brake track?
I test rode them today on an inside track (so not much braking involved) and the braking felt very promising. My previous experience of carbon brake tracks has come from Easton EC90SL (model year around 2011-2013) and FFWD F5R (I’m quessing model year 2012-2015). I have always used Swisstop yellow pads in front and Shimano R55C4 (or whatever the Shimano pad for carbon is) at the back. I have previously used SRAM Red and SRAM Red Aerolink calipers, right now I’m running SRAM S-900 direct mount calipers.

The textured LB brake track seems quite powerful (instant braking when touching the rim) and some what easy to modulate. They are quite loud, which is either a positive or a negative depending on what one likes.

Apart from braking, I can confirm the distance between front hub’s spoke flanges has a distinct effect on wheel’s lateral stiffness. I weigh almost 80 kg, like to spend a lot of time on the top tube while climbing and can sprint easily over 1200W. The Syntace HiTorque RS can’t handle that (at least not when laced to a 45mm deep rim, something much deeper could be different), spoke flanges seem too narrowly spaced. For me this is the first wheel ever which has had this issue, and it did cross my mind the brake pad rub might be more noticeable because of a noisier brake track, but this wheel seemed less stiff altogether. I had two other front wheels with me, so could do direct comparisons. I think I’m going to replace the hub with a Chris King R45.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Jugi wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:04 pm
The textured LB brake track seems quite powerful (instant braking when touching the rim) and some what easy to modulate. They are quite loud, which is either a positive or a negative depending on what one likes.
Glad to hear this. I ordered the same brake track on my 46's that are being built now. I'll be using the Swissstop Black Prince pads, hopefully the noise is at least pleasantly loud and not a screeching sound. lol

Jasonlelam

by Jasonlelam

Beaver wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:34 pm
The Light Bicycle MTB Recon Pro rims look interesting:

"Our Recon Pro rims are manufactured using a completely new series of molds and use a new process that delivers a near flawless product. More time is taken through the layup and assembly process so that no post-production finishing is required. This new process is more environmentally friendly because it requires less heating cycles, no sanding, and no painting."
https://www.lightbicycle.com/series/mtb/rim/recon-pro

That finish now looks like the ones of the big brands - hopefully they will offer it for road rims, too.
Yes, they call the finish "paintless" or BlackTek or similar i am not sure. I already have two XC925 flyweight version from them about two months ago. So far they 'fly' so well with my fast pedaling . I am lovin them. :up:

peted76

by peted76

I wondered if anyone knew if these were based on an open mold? - https://knightcomposites.com/product/50 ... eless-tla/

Beaver

by Beaver

Jasonlelam wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:17 am
Beaver wrote:

"Our Recon Pro rims are manufactured using a completely new series of molds and use a new process that delivers a near flawless product. More time is taken through the layup and assembly process so that no post-production finishing is required. This new process is more environmentally friendly because it requires less heating cycles, no sanding, and no painting."

That finish now looks like the ones of the big brands - hopefully they will offer it for road rims, too.
Yes, they call the finish "paintless" or BlackTek or similar i am not sure. I already have two XC925 flyweight version from them about two months ago. So far they 'fly' so well with my fast pedaling . I am lovin them. :up:
From the LB website:"The Pro road series is under development, it will apply the same black Tek as the MTB Recon Pro series. So they will have the same rim surface (organic carbon texture). It will be around 32mm wide road rims, currently, we still haven't got the rim weight information about new road disc series from our engineer team. I will contact you when it is ready."

Seems as if there is no "non disc" option - but 32mm at the brake track would be too wide for road calipers anyway. :(

emotive

by emotive

Beaver wrote:
Jasonlelam wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:17 am
Beaver wrote:

From the LB website:"The Pro road series is under development, it will apply the same black Tek as the MTB Recon Pro series. So they will have the same rim surface (organic carbon texture). It will be around 32mm wide road rims, currently, we still haven't got the rim weight information about new road disc series from our engineer team. I will contact you when it is ready."

Seems as if there is no "non disc" option - but 32mm at the brake track would be too wide for road calipers anyway. :(
They are going to be awesome for road disc bikes though. These will be my next wheels.

robeambro

by robeambro

Rather silly question.
Wanting to use 25mm tires (and potentially 25/28 front/rear), would a 28mm (external width of course) rim be too wide?
Would I have to stick to some particular tire brands (Conti?) or pressure?

I would like to not screw out aerodynamics but also be safe :D

none

by none

Depending on how wide your existing rims are.
To take advantage of aerodynamics, it's probably better to have the front tire same width as the front rim.
I like to keep the rear tire at minimal width as well; to reduce the weight of the tire, comfort and puncture protection are secondary when used on TT bike.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

robeambro wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:21 pm
Rather silly question.
Wanting to use 25mm tires (and potentially 25/28 front/rear), would a 28mm (external width of course) rim be too wide?
Would I have to stick to some particular tire brands (Conti?) or pressure?

I would like to not screw out aerodynamics but also be safe :D
Depends on what the tire actually measures at. I have a set of 25mm Conti GP5Ks waiting on 28mm wheels. If they end up measuring wider than 28mm, then I'll run a 23 up front and keep the 25's for the rear. My current 23mm GP4K2s measure at 25mm on a 22mm rim, and I can still go fast, but it'll be interesting to see how the new setup works out. I have a section on my regular route that I consistently max out at 46mph on with my current setup, so we'll see if theres some improvement with a deeper/aero optimized setup.

robeambro

by robeambro

Thanks guys. I guess that I'll have to study the "Wide Rims and Tires: Real Measurements" to check.

Provided that I won't probably go to 23mm on the front, and I'd stick to 25mm nominal width tires, now my question is related to what's safe and what may be not.

If I have a 28mm rim, and I pair it with a tire that effectively measures 27.5mm, would that be safe? And what about 27.8mm? I take it that anything at or above 28mm would be safe.

Basically I'm trying to figure out, if I get an average 25mm nominal tire, if I can go with a 28 or even 30mm rim and be safe :mrgreen:

none

by none

The width of the rim can also affect the width of the tire once inflated, the same 23mm or 30mm tire can have different width after inflated if the rims have different width... however miniscule it might be.

robeambro

by robeambro

Right, all of this makes it even more confusing than when I started. Like, should I get 28 or 30mm wide rims? Who knows. :D

AJS914

by AJS914

Figure it out in reverse. What tires do you want to run? What rim (inside width) fits those tires best?

emotive

by emotive

robeambro wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:04 pm

Basically I'm trying to figure out, if I get an average 25mm nominal tire, if I can go with a 28 or even 30mm rim and be safe :mrgreen:
Yes.

Cannondale SystemSix comes stock with Knot64 wheels. The wheels are 32mm wide on the outside, and they fit them with 23mm Vittoria Rubino tyres, which measure 26mm wide on the rims. that's 6mm less than the rim width.

So yes, a 28mm measured tyre on a 30mm rim is safe. A wheel width that is 105% of the tyre width is the optimal aero ratio.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com