Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

STUB1

by STUB1

Is there anyone who has the LB 36 or 46mm rims (21/28 int/ext rims) able to post some pics and say what finish they choose. I'm still tossing up between matte or gloss for my bike and LB don't have any real life photos of them for me! I saw a few on the website, but they aren't great pics. LB said most people choose matte, but if the gloss isn't super offensive I would give them a go. Also, how close do the rims come to reported weight. trying to get a 1300g set of 36mms.. (tune hubs)

Cheers,

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

STUB1 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:10 am
Is there anyone who has the LB 36 or 46mm rims (21/28 int/ext rims) able to post some pics and say what finish they choose. I'm still tossing up between matte or gloss for my bike and LB don't have any real life photos of them for me! I saw a few on the website, but they aren't great pics. LB said most people choose matte, but if the gloss isn't super offensive I would give them a go. Also, how close do the rims come to reported weight. trying to get a 1300g set of 36mms.. (tune hubs)

Cheers,
I just got a 56 lb wheelset, and they came in slightly under the quoted weight. Matt. Pics on the LB thread.

Beaver

by Beaver

STUB1 wrote:

Cheers,
You can always ask them for a certain weight - like I did for 1,300g with 36x28mm and a gloss finish:

They will send you a picture to verify the weight before shipping. It was even lighter on my scales (without the stickers). ;)

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi,

I am looking at the wheelsets from Farsports with DT 240 hubs.

Is Farsport a reputable manufacturer?

how legit are the DT 240 hubs? I mean there are so many fakes etc... from China ...

Marin

by Marin

Farsports is legit, as are the hubs they sell.

rides4beer

by rides4beer

STUB1 wrote:

Cheers,
I have LB 46's in UD Matte. I was gonna go glossy, but then I was afraid they'd be too glossy. The pics below are after I got them. But since then I've hit them with a bit of polish, gonna do a second round of polishing to get them to more of a satin sheen. Just have to be careful with that, because there's no going back once you've polished a matte finish.

IMG_0245.jpg
IMG_0253.jpg

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Well, early review time.

I took a risk on ebay rims from velocarbon. This is an obvious chinese drop shipper. The same rims can also be found on alibaba, and on a site carbonfan.

I opted to Source my own cxray spokes and carbon ti hubs for lightness and piece of mind for construction.

For reference, i am 59kg.

Shape:

So my rims are 56mm deep clinchers. They are u shaped with a 17.25mm internal Width, 25mm brake track (the brake track flares out, so they are not paralell). They max out at about 28mm wide. They are a nice aero profile and resemble some of the zip designs to my eyes.

I have 25c (measure 27.5) gp4000s2 on front and back currently. I have gp500 on order, 23/25c which should measure a very aerodynamically ideal 24-25mm up front and 27 in the rear.

Finish:

They are finished in 18k carbon... which is basically why i got them (see the details of my saddle and frame in the photo).

the cosmetic 18k carbon is actually superior to pro wheels (that is the only other wheel
Currently using 18k carbon) simply because the carbon weave is wrapped around the wheel. The weave follows the curve of the wheel, which makes for impressive visual impact. Each side is finished with two cloths of carbon, so weave transitions are minimal. The pro wheels, and older yoleo wheels with the same carbon used four sheets per side, and the weave did not wrap with the wheel. There is some stretch in the weave in places, but it is pretty darn good. I see no surface imperfections in the clear coat.

The drilling looks clean, as does the carbon within the hooks.

Trueness:

Externally they are excellent and round. internally i found up to a 0.25mm variation between the hooks. They also appear quite true laterally at the brake tracks. The guy who built the wheels felt he saw a bit of a distortion in the aero u shaped profile in one wheel, but i could not see it. It may have been an optical illusion from the transition of two pieces of carbon weave.

The builder said that they were “on the difficult end of wheels” to get true/tensioned during the build... but they came out great. He felt there was some inconsistency in the shape of the inner part of the wheel (spoke side), but that may be due to slight inconsistencies in spoke seating in the carbon.

Weight:

Not the lightest rims, nor the heaviest. You can get them in a lighter tubular however (and 40, 50, 56, 80 depths). I think they were listed at 515g each +/- 15g. So of course each of mine were near 25g over weight. The wheelset is just over 1500g with 20/24 cxray spokes, and carbon ti x hub hubs. So not bad, and about the same as the industry big names. Mind you, i speced some pretty light hubs to stay in the game. I was hoping for 1450g but they were just overweight, as cheap china carbon rims tend to be.

Integrity:

After some hours on the wheels (i estimate 500km), i only had one bery early spoke “ping” in the front during a hard sprint. They have remained true, and combined with the excellent xhubs... are VERY laterally stiff.

Compared to my mavic r-sys slr wheels they replaced... they are at a whole different level. I can set my brakes at a very close clearance without any rub on sprints or climbs.

Braking:

I figured this would be the weak point. They use 3k carbon basalt brake tracks. You can see that it is a 3k layer overtop the 18k finishing carbon.

The vendor had some fancy data on their site about brake temps. Not sure how valid it was, but the max temp seemed comparable to the big brands. Who knows about durability.

At first there was some brake pulsing, but the brakes were not set up (ee brakes with new black prince flash pro pads). Once set up properly, with a bit of pad toe, i am unable to discern brake pulsing... but there might be the slightest pulse. I have yet to decide.

In truth, i live in a more hilly area, and i am only 59kg, so i can really only think of one ride where i even worked the breaks to anything more than a mild sweat (1.5k 7% grade hill on a windy day when i had little interest in descending fast). So i suspect my rims/pads are still breaking in, especially since i only reciently adjusted the toe.

In the dry, the combo stops surprisingly well. No loss of performance vs my mavic exalth aluminum surface. If anything, i once locked the rear (my weight was too far forward however), and i had to adjust to a more relaxed progressive braking. The agressive initial bite was made possible by the trueness/lateral stiffness permitting very tight pad clearances. Toe out made them more progressive, and i call them excellent in dry braking.

So i figured they would be junk in the wet, but again, they did just fine. It just takes an extra second or so to clear the excess moisture. I was pleasantly surprised.

Now, what is due to brake track performance, and what is due to the black prince pads... i am not sure. Maybe they are a very grippy pad compound. I came from aluminum rims so it is hard to say.

Braking is so good in dry and wet, i might not be against a lower grip pad, just to try and maxamize wheel life. That will be an unknown. But so far the wheels have exceeded expectations... so maybe they will last a long time...

Summary:

Very nice aero profile, nice carbon (not perfect), very true, a bit heavy, cheap. Surprisingly excellent braking performance in dry and wet (note i am 59kg and live in a hilly area so i do not often stess the brakes, but when i have they have been very strong). Not the easiest to set up for trueness/spoke tension, but the final result was spot on.

I would buy them again. If i was 90kg, they might still be fine, but i would probably stick to the tubular version, or stay with name brand wheels for peace of mind.
C88C4C2A-77A7-4724-8C29-A7B51D1F32CE.jpeg
284A0FEA-659B-48DF-BF43-1D3E5A6A9374.jpeg
6D8C6515-6C44-49D7-8A66-31D3397AF05A.jpeg
2BD357A5-B176-40E8-BD65-22ACCEF05925.jpeg

krafra

by krafra

Looking for a second Farsports wheelset. Last summer I bought some Farsports 58mm 28mm wide carbon clinchers for my aero bike. They run perfect and I have been very happy for them, even though I needed some time to get used to the carbon rim braking.

Now I'm looking after some disc wheels for a new 'A to B' bike I bought (Vitus Zenium). The summer is coming to Denmark and because of this I want to start riding to work. It's a little trip from my home to work (45km) so nothing special. I haven't really been following which types of wheels people buy right now (25mm or 28mm, shape and so on) so I want to hear if you can give me a friendly suggestion before I contact Farsports. My tires are the reliable Schwalbe Durano Plus 23mm! I prefer getting some DT Swiss 240s hubs on them. Hope you can help me.

Rone69

by Rone69

Hello to all,
I'm looking for a set of carbon rims for rim brakes, tubeless or tubeless ready, 40/45 depth, 18/19mm internal width, 25/26 external width, with a good brake performance, no hole in bed can be a good option.
Could anyone suggest some reliable product?
I put my eyes on this, but I don't have any info about the seller or the rims, what do you think about?
Thanks to all.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282391 ... st=ae803_3

havana

by havana

I own a set of 38 mm carbon rims, bought from Helin Liu about 2 years ago. Laced them up myself with Bitex hubs and CX-rays spokes.

Internal width is about 18 mm, external 25 mm. The rim does have spoke holes, my question is whether I can run tubeless tires on this rim using special tubeless tape?
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

havana wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:31 am
Internal width is about 18 mm, external 25 mm. The rim does have spoke holes, my question is whether I can run tubeless tires on this rim using special tubeless tape?
The spoke holes can be sealed with tubeless-compatible rim tape (see other threads for options), but the main issue lies with rim profile: without bead shelves the tire might slide down the channel if you lose pressure; true tubeless compatible profile will keep the tire will seated at all times. I have a set of LB 35mm rims from five years ago and these are tubeless compatible and hookless, so there's a high chance you have suitable rim profile.

havana

by havana

Thanks for that. We're gonna give it a try! Ordered Schwalbe rimtape in the right size + a bunch of other stuff I might need.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

igs417

by igs417

rides4beer wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:01 pm
As mentioned, I was able to run a little less pressure in the 25's, so they were a bit more comfortable. I'm 83kg, so I run more pressure in the 23's to prevent pinch flats, still comfortable, but not what I would call a cushy ride.
What pressure did you run on 25's?

lvmises

by lvmises

Looking for some advice. I have a broken Mavic Carbon 52mm rim - photo attached. The hub is still good so was thinking of buying a Chinese rim and getting it rebuilt with my existing hub. Can anyone recommend a good quality open mold brand for 50mm rims which ideally looks similar to my Mavic?

(Apologies for the size of those photo's - don't now how to resize them)

emotive

by emotive

lvmises wrote:Looking for some advice. I have a broken Mavic Carbon 52mm rim - photo attached. The hub is still good so was thinking of buying a Chinese rim and getting it rebuilt with my existing hub. Can anyone recommend a good quality open mold brand for 50mm rims which ideally looks similar to my Mavic?

(Apologies for the size of those photo's - don't now how to resize them)

A friend of mine melted his Reynolds rim on a long descent. We purchased a Light Bicycle rim and it matches really well. They have 55mm deep rim: order in the same spoke count with a 12K weave and matte finish and you’re set.

Also get a quote for a whole wheel with a DT350 hub. Might be a similar proice and easier than rebuilding with the Mavic hub.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com