Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

lvmises wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:01 am
Looking for some advice. I have a broken Mavic Carbon 52mm rim - photo attached. The hub is still good so was thinking of buying a Chinese rim and getting it rebuilt with my existing hub. Can anyone recommend a good quality open mold brand for 50mm rims which ideally looks similar to my Mavic?

(Apologies for the size of those photo's - don't now how to resize them)

What the heck happened to that Mavic rim? It looks like a spoke pulled out, like would if something got caught in the spokes, but then that dent almost looks like it melted or something, despite it not being near the brake track. This isn't a "bike rack put the wheel too close to the tailpipe" situation, is it? :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lvmises

by lvmises

[/quote]

What the heck happened to that Mavic rim? It looks like a spoke pulled out, like would if something got caught in the spokes, but then that dent almost looks like it melted or something, despite it not being near the brake track. This isn't a "bike rack put the wheel too close to the tailpipe" situation, is it? :wink:
[/quote]

I actually don't know - I'm the 3rd owner & the previous guy didn't seem to know either. He threw in this wheel for free. A wheelbuilder told me the aluminium rim is busted inside.

lvmises

by lvmises

emotive wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:34 am
lvmises wrote:
We purchased a Light Bicycle rim and it matches really well.
thanks for the advice - will enquire with LB. Have also reached out to FarSports.

emotive

by emotive

Nextie just updated their website, so I was having a look around, and came across some new 32mm wide rims. With a 22C inner diameter, these would work really well with 28mm tyres. https://www.nextie.com/new-gravel-clincher-NXT35GR

rides4beer

by rides4beer

igs417 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:16 pm
rides4beer wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:01 pm
As mentioned, I was able to run a little less pressure in the 25's, so they were a bit more comfortable. I'm 83kg, so I run more pressure in the 23's to prevent pinch flats, still comfortable, but not what I would call a cushy ride.
What pressure did you run on 25's?
I want to say I ran those at about 85/95. I have 28's now that I'm running at 80/90. Could probably go a lil lower, but I'm afraid of pinch flats, they're still pretty comfortable and handle great.

emotive

by emotive

rides4beer wrote:
igs417 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:16 pm
rides4beer wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:01 pm
As mentioned, I was able to run a little less pressure in the 25's, so they were a bit more comfortable. I'm 83kg, so I run more pressure in the 23's to prevent pinch flats, still comfortable, but not what I would call a cushy ride.
What pressure did you run on 25's?
I want to say I ran those at about 85/95. I have 28's now that I'm running at 80/90. Could probably go a lil lower, but I'm afraid of pinch flats, they're still pretty comfortable and handle great.
With 30% more air volume than a 25mm tyre you would struggle to pinch flat a 28 tyre at 60psi. I’ve accidentally run mine as low as 45psi and been fine.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Last Sunday i managed to double pinch flat front 25c and rear 28c Continental GP5000 on 23mm internal width rim. Both are pumped at 65psi. Rider weight: 67kg.
It was a legit hit with loud impact noise into a deep hole that i didn't see because it was covered by grass.

Apart from that, i didn't get any pinch flat from this kind of pressure before.

musiclover

by musiclover

What options do I actually have in wide (30 mm outer width +) road tubeless (no holes) centerlock disc road wheels apart from LB? Just exploring options before I buy them. Winspace are only 25mm, same with yoeleo, carbonzone does not have option without holes, nextie seems about the same as LB but more expensive.
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

emotive

by emotive

musiclover wrote:What options do I actually have in wide (30 mm outer width +) road tubeless (no holes) centerlock disc road wheels apart from LB? Just exploring options before I buy them. Winspace are only 25mm, same with yoeleo, carbonzone does not have option without holes, nextie seems about the same as LB but more expensive.
I’ve gone with LB for 3 wheel sets but Yishun do 30mm wide wheels.

musiclover

by musiclover

Yishun seem to be a wholesale manufacturer? No prices on the website and minimum order quantity is 10 pieces?
I have retired from this forum, not wasting any more time here.

emotive

by emotive

musiclover wrote:Yishun seem to be a wholesale manufacturer? No prices on the website and minimum order quantity is 10 pieces?
It is possible their business model has changed. I had a quote for a single wheelset a few years ago. Try messaging them for a quote.

Jengaback

by Jengaback

I've got fse g40/30x rims which they offer with and without spoke holes. They're 25mm internal with a hookless bead

TLN

by TLN

Getting a wider rims (32 Outer width, 25mm interlan width). If I want to end up with matching 32mm tires, should I look at 28mm tires or 30mm? I'm pretty sure 28mm tires will baloon to 30-31mm if not more, but want someone to confirm that.
Asking because I see Shwalbe makes Pro One in 30mm now. :roll:
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

emotive

by emotive

TLN wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:24 pm
Getting a wider rims (32 Outer width, 25mm interlan width). If I want to end up with matching 32mm tires, should I look at 28mm tires or 30mm? I'm pretty sure 28mm tires will baloon to 30-31mm if not more, but want someone to confirm that.
Asking because I see Shwalbe makes Pro One in 30mm now. :roll:
28mm GP5000 TL measures 31.5mm on a 25C rim
28mm Schwalbe Pro One (first generation) measure 31.7mm on a 25C rim
I haven't seen any measurements for the new Pro One, but Schwalbe G-One Speed 30 tires, measured 31.65mm on a 22C rim, so on a 25C rim expect it to measure 33.1mm

TLN

by TLN

G-one is for gravel? I see there is newer Pro-one in 30mm, but I guess not many people have it yet.
What's general consensus here about 30mm tires?
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com