Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

I have been looking around at various chinese carbon rims for a week or so now and I can't seem to find just what I want. The Light Bicycle RR56C02 looks good but the internal width seems a bit too much at 23mm, if it was 21mm I think it would be ideal. I am looking for something aero, around 50mm deep and wide so I can run 25C tyres (GP4000s 2 or Turbo Cotton) and not have the tyre wider than the rim. Though I am also aware that I will need to do some testing with my brakes first as I'm not sure my Ultegra 6800 calipers will take rims that wide. Anyone have and suggestions that I might not have found?

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Well the new LB 56 are the only ones really optimized for a 25mm nominative width tire that will measure up to 28 29 30 mm ...

The others are a little too narrow

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Be great if they did a 40-45mm version of it too

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

romanmoser

by romanmoser

It should arrive in a few months I hope so
Would be logical

A pair of 56 for rolling rides
A pair of 40 45 for hilly rides and moutains

Svetty

by Svetty

GlacialPace wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:49 am
I have been looking around at various chinese carbon rims for a week or so now and I can't seem to find just what I want. The Light Bicycle RR56C02 looks good but the internal width seems a bit too much at 23mm, if it was 21mm I think it would be ideal. I am looking for something aero, around 50mm deep and wide so I can run 25C tyres (GP4000s 2 or Turbo Cotton) and not have the tyre wider than the rim. Though I am also aware that I will need to do some testing with my brakes first as I'm not sure my Ultegra 6800 calipers will take rims that wide. Anyone have and suggestions that I might not have found?
The 25mm external 18mm internal ones will fit your callipers. I run them with Veloflex 25mm tyres and they are ideal. Might be a tiny bit narrow for Contis though but fine with Turbo Cottons.

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

from cyclingtips.com:
"[Hunt Wheels] were walking around the show with a prototype disc-specific aero rim in hand. With a former aerodynamics engineer from Campagnolo now on staff, this 48mm-deep rim was optimised for use with a 28c tyre. The 22.5mm internal width is a far cry from the 35.5mm external width. But instead of adding redundant material mass at the edge of the rim to make up that bead thickness difference, Hunt has a new patent-pending technology that uses a resin filler that’s a quarter the density of carbon fibre or similar structural material. The design is said to save 50g per wheel while providing the ideal aerodynamic properties. Such a design is only made possible by the use of disc brakes and is just the sort of innovation needed for discs to be widely adopted in races. The new wheel is expected to be out by the end of the year."

There is no further info on the Hunt website (yet). Also, AFAIK Hunt has up until now only used/rebranded existing rims (like the Kinlin XR31) so it would be interesting to see if there will be a manufacturer in the far east offering a rim with the same specs.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

nice searching work ;)

I didn't saw that one , usually I look at everything from CT

Less internal width than enve ar 4.5
But external width is massive 35,5 !!!!!!

They look like 50 to 60 mm height
Nice to see others options
Would be intersting if they succeed to test it against HED VANQUISH 6

codytaylor48

by codytaylor48

Nice!

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

Yeah that does look interesting, no good for me with caliper brakes but I do like that things are moving towards taking advantage of having disc brakes, maybe my next bike will have them.

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

Svetty wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:36 pm
GlacialPace wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:49 am
The 25mm external 18mm internal ones will fit your callipers. I run them with Veloflex 25mm tyres and they are ideal. Might be a tiny bit narrow for Contis though but fine with Turbo Cottons.
Or maybe the 46mm deep 21 internal 28 external with Turbo cotton 26c? I think I'd like to have the 56 over the 46 but I really don't think it will play nice with my brakes.

codytaylor48

by codytaylor48

Sent Hunt a message asking about those wheels.

elzilcho

by elzilcho

Has anyone ordered wheels from FarSports with no spoke holes in the rim bed? I've seen other manufacturers offer this but it was actually just a bonded section after production and made the rim nearly impossible to fix if there was an issue with a spoke or nipple. The fact that they offer their rims with both options has me concerned.

Marin

by Marin

Yes, I have a set of 50x23s without holes. I've been running them for thousands of kilometers now, without rim tape.

Beaver

by Beaver

There will be/already is a CNC carved textured brake track on Light Bicycle rims and it's also customizable:

"Yes, we already have texture on rim brake surface on road rims. We will revise our website accordingly late this month or early September."

"As for the brake track. The RR36C02 is using our new high TG resin technology, which can bear the 240-degree heat. The default weave is 3K (same as your first picture shows). You can customize the brake track weave if you like, both standard or CNC carving pattern like the second picture shows. Note that we will charge extra for customized brake track. Let me know if you need a customized the brake track pattern. Better to provide the graphic for the pattern if possible."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Harpoon

by Harpoon

DutchMountains wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:34 pm
from cyclingtips.com:
"[Hunt Wheels] were walking around the show with a prototype disc-specific aero rim in hand. With a former aerodynamics engineer from Campagnolo now on staff, this 48mm-deep rim was optimised for use with a 28c tyre. The 22.5mm internal width is a far cry from the 35.5mm external width. But instead of adding redundant material mass at the edge of the rim to make up that bead thickness difference, Hunt has a new patent-pending technology that uses a resin filler that’s a quarter the density of carbon fibre or similar structural material. The design is said to save 50g per wheel while providing the ideal aerodynamic properties. Such a design is only made possible by the use of disc brakes and is just the sort of innovation needed for discs to be widely adopted in races. The new wheel is expected to be out by the end of the year."

There is no further info on the Hunt website (yet). Also, AFAIK Hunt has up until now only used/rebranded existing rims (like the Kinlin XR31) so it would be interesting to see if there will be a manufacturer in the far east offering a rim with the same specs.
Just came across a bit about this prototype wheel in a GCN video. Hopefully the link below goes to the right section but it's about 6:00 in.

https://youtu.be/eH5oUxGbHY0?t=367