Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gunjira

by Gunjira

Thanks Dingleberry!
After smooth communication with Carolin at LB, I'm getting ready to order a 28h set for tubeless and disc brakes. Since I want to use my own dt swiss front hub and have the build checked by a local builder, they will send me only the rear built, with the front as parts. Nipples, spokes with length of my choosing, very forthcoming. That will have f/r looking in sync ;)

One question I haven't seen answered yet: Are the regular tubeless valves long enough to use without extenders? I only know the superstar long valves being longer than 45mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushstart

by pushstart

The Stans valves won't be long enough. I would probably just cut the valves out of some old 60mm-valve tubes. (I am not familiar with Superstar;I will have a look.). 60mm is definitely long enough on these rims, though. (I wouldn't go much shorter unless you are ok with only using a thread-on pump -- like Lezyne.)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Stans have removable valve cores, you can just add an extender. Also, Orange Seal makes 60mm valves that would work.

pushstart

by pushstart

The Orange Seal option looks good!

Just remember that if you use extenders you want threaded extenders so you can add locknut. Stans sells such extenders; they will just make for an overly long solution when paired with stans valve stems (for these rims).

Dingleberry

by Dingleberry

I went with American Classic valves, mostly for the little curved washer things, and Stans extenders.

http://www.amclassic.com/en/products/components/tubeless-valves

http://www.notubes.com/Pair-of-40mm-Threaded-Valve-Extenders-P611.aspx

Seems to work/look fine to me!

jpac

by jpac

i'm in the same situation and have been doing quite a bit of reading. As of right now, im stuck on far sports CC 50mm U shaped wheel w/ Ud hubs (cermaic) - they'll be around $700 shipped to my door step. I am finding carbon tubulars for about $700-$800, but with quite a bit of use on them. I feel that something new w/ at least 1 yr warranty would put me over the edge rather than taking a gamble w/ someone else's used carbons. my .2 cents

jpac

by jpac

also, it seems that far sports has more options regarding hubs, and they use CX-rays on there builds.

eric

by eric

I have not seen many posts about yoeleo. But I have not been following the massive chinese carbon wheel thread on rbr, maybe they are the new hotness there.

Farsports has had a reasonably good reputation here.

The warranty is good but the company is in china. So there'll be some shipping and time involved if you need to make a claim.

jpac

by jpac

ya, from what i've read, they'll usually just ship out a replacement if u have any issues.

Foil30

by Foil30

on their website New 50mm FSC50-TM weight in at 1160g. Is this real or a mistake on their website?

kulivontot

by kulivontot

They had a v shaped 50mm pair with 1150g weight. With sub 350g rims that's certainly possible.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Farsports is established and Yolo does YouTube videos

davymc

by davymc

Hi Guys , Im new to the site.

Basically I am looking some wheels for my giant tcr, I will be using it for racing. I have looked at loads of posts regarding the ebay carbon clinchers , but there's a lot of information to take in .

Can anybody tell me , bottom line , what is the best budget 50mm carbon clincher wheel set out there?

Thanks

kode54

by kode54

and as a beginner...are you looking at 50mm for looks? because you can get some nice wheels for less weight with less profile.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

davymc

by davymc

No, not for looks . I rode a bike with my friends 50mm wheels for races last year and really liked them , so now im going to get a pair myself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com