Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ACree

by ACree

Dingleberry wrote:Mine are 448 and 470 (bit over the 15g tolerance). Getting them built up locally with CX-Ray/Aerolites on Hope disc hubs - hopefully ready next week so will get photos up soon!

Definitely please post pics. I'm considering these for a disc build as well. Also a fan of Hope hubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Hello all, I ordered 23mm wide 50 profile wheels without internal spoke holes from Kyle @ Far, will report in a month or so when I have then!

tharmor

by tharmor

@pushstart - in the other thread you mentioned having given up on running tubeless. Was that on your LB45's? Or, given the context of that thread, was it another pair of tubeless rims you had in addition to the LB45's?

I ask because I was nearly sold on moving into a tubeless setup, but now I'm not so sure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

pushstart

by pushstart

@tharmor, I gave up on tubeless with my Farsports 50mm rims (they were not explicitly tubeless-ready). The rims were very loose, so seating without compressor was basically possible.

In general, I was not wowed by road tubeless, but I will try again with better tires. I went through 4 or 5 Hutchinson Fusion 3 tires in a short amount of time. Lots of flats. I found that sealant (Stans) really didn't work for me at pressures above 50psi. Anyway, I have heard much better experiences from others, so I will try again. Tire selection is improving.

tharmor

by tharmor

But you are running tubeless on the new rims from light-bicycle? And that experience has been different?

pushstart

by pushstart

tharmor wrote:But you are running tubeless on the new rims from light-bicycle? And that experience has been different?

I am not (yet). They are ready (with tape), but I had a perfectly good set of GP4000S tires to finish up from my previous bike. I will try tubeless (maybe Bontrager) tires once I am through this set. I really prefer the ride quality (and so far, durability) of the 25mm GP4000S to the 23mm Fusion 3 tires I was using before. I have heard great things about the Bonty tubeless tires, though.

tharmor

by tharmor

Thanks for explanation. So now the question remains - who has successfully run a tubeless setup on any of the open mould rims?

I wouldn't mind getting a list together for perspective buyers to be added to this thread.

Dingleberry

by Dingleberry

Picked up my wheels earlier today: 45mm Light-Bicycle rims, Hope disc hubs, CX-Ray spokes laced 3x all round. Apparently they built up really nicely. About 1700g for the pair. Not super light, but neither am I at 80-85kg, so hopefully pretty sturdy.

Waiting on my frame to arrive (hopefully around the end of the month...), so can't try them out til then, but they certainly look fast! :D Sealed them up with 19mm tubeless tape (which fits perfectly) and got some Schwalbe Ones mounted, with tubes for now to get everything stretched out. Got a bit of experience with tubeless tyres on my MTB, but the Ones are the toughest I've ever had! Really tight fit, but that should be a good thing once they're set up properly.

Photos coming shortly...

Dingleberry

by Dingleberry

Gunjira

by Gunjira

Thanks for sharing dingleberry, looking good, I wonder how they ride. I am thinking of going with a stock built from lb as a disc wheel, any reason one should avoid the pillar extra aero spokes they use? They seem to be reasonably light even compared to CX-rays.

Gunjira

by Gunjira

Doublepost

tharmor

by tharmor

They look impeccable. Very nice looking wheelset!

ACree

by ACree

Dingleberry, thanks for putting pics up. Very nice looking wheels. I'm tempted to order some up. Already have some 650 mtb rims coming from LB which will by first exp wit carbon rims.

Dingleberry

by Dingleberry

Gunjira wrote:Thanks for sharing dingleberry, looking good, I wonder how they ride. I am thinking of going with a stock built from lb as a disc wheel, any reason one should avoid the pillar extra aero spokes they use? They seem to be reasonably light even compared to CX-rays.

Don't know about Pillar spokes, but I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that LB builds aren't great, so if that's what you end up going for might be worth getting them checked over by a local wheelbuilder? Or ask if they'll send you all the parts seperately (another thing I've seen somewhere...) and have them built up?

ACree wrote:Dingleberry, thanks for putting pics up. Very nice looking wheels. I'm tempted to order some up. Already have some 650 mtb rims coming from LB which will by first exp wit carbon rims.

No problem - if anyone wants to know anything else I'll try my best to help, doesn't seem to be a lot of info about road disc/tubeless wheels.

Speaking of tubeless, was bored so just set them up! :D Easiest thing ever! With MTB tubelss you normally have to pump like crazy to get the tyres inflated, with these it was nothing - couple of blasts and they're up! Hardest part was just getting the tyres over the rims - definitely worth getting the little bottle of the Easy Fit stuff.

Really impressed so far, can't wait to try 'em out - they look fast just sitting there. :D

Foil30

by Foil30

From what I ahve seen these are the top 2 from china. I like to know who is better. I have seen more post for farsports but its mixed reviews. Im looking to buy a wheelset from china but considering a used set of boyd for the similar price. Please advice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com