Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sspring

by sspring

Cool, thats my experience regarding the Light-Bicycle wheelset. The things are just about perfect, after thousands of miles they spin and perform just like the day i got them. The finish is coming off at the brake trac as I have the older style brake surface but honestly I don't care. i don't see it as a big deal cause its just slowly looking just like the newer unpainted ones. They offered me new rims but I haven't gotten them.

Light-Bicycle builds a good wheel!!

QPete

by QPete

Greetings Forum members. First time poster here so slap my wrist if I ask anything "challenged". I don't want this to ,by any means, slander a company name as I haven't even gotten a chance to get my hands on the product. But has anyone here had issues with the shipping process from China? I took the plunge and ordered a customized set of 28H carbon rims drilled for internal spokes. Was quite impressed with the company's communication, clarity, response time, and my overall experience. BUT as I said, I have yet to receive the rims. Was given a tracking number in great time, but its as if its being sent here to the U.S. via horseback. Tomorrow will be two months from the date it was sent. The website doesn't update anything according to the tracking number. I have contacted the manufacturer, and they are always gracious in response and assuring me its not lost. But come on.....TWO MONTHS?!?!?! Guess I am just looking to see if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if in fact this EMS shipping is just that GARBAGE?

Thanks in advance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Muahdib

by Muahdib

Just to let you know that more than likely your rims are stuck in customs. I've had a cassette I got from Chain Reaction (British outfit) that took over a month to get to my doorstep. Anytime you order something outside the US you run the risk of it getting stuck in customs. Shipper has no control over this, assuming they haven't screwed up the paper work.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

oooppps

sspring

by sspring

QPete wrote:Greetings Forum members. First time poster here so slap my wrist if I ask anything "challenged". I don't want this to ,by any means, slander a company name as I haven't even gotten a chance to get my hands on the product. But has anyone here had issues with the shipping process from China? I took the plunge and ordered a customized set of 28H carbon rims drilled for internal spokes. Was quite impressed with the company's communication, clarity, response time, and my overall experience. BUT as I said, I have yet to receive the rims. Was given a tracking number in great time, but its as if its being sent here to the U.S. via horseback. Tomorrow will be two months from the date it was sent. The website doesn't update anything according to the tracking number. I have contacted the manufacturer, and they are always gracious in response and assuring me its not lost. But come on.....TWO MONTHS?!?!?! Guess I am just looking to see if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if in fact this EMS shipping is just that GARBAGE?

Thanks in advance

I order stuff from China all the time and once in a while there is a hold up in shipping and it can take a long time. Usually there will be some sort of indication via EMS of when the package hits the US and or clears customs.

THis is not uncommon and one of the drawbacks to ordering from China. Give it some more time

QPete

by QPete

Thanks for the feedback.

Feel a little better about the situation.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Customs clearance can take up to 90 days FWIW.
carbonLORD.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

So I got my HongFu 56mm Tubulars back from the builder, I throw the new tires on them to stretch it out. I look them over real good and something catches my eye on the rear wheel DS of the rim. At first I thought it was just some risidual thread lock/lube that was making the rim look flat/shiny.

It seems the cosmetic UD layer in about a 1.5"x2.5" section, and a smaller section close, and the general area for that matter, has lifted up from the structural 3k layer.

Obviously the bonding, maybe the stress of the wheel building has exposed a defect with the lamination adhesion.

Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8cQunXNRSU

Since I'm at 30 days on the purchase, and Chinese New Year is upon us, and no reply so far via email from HongFu....I opened a PP dispute just to have it under my belt so I don't go past 45days and end up SOL.

HongFu immediately declined the refund, yet they haven't returned my emails yet, or responded to the video.

The other wheel is fine, as are my 40mm clinchers from them.

I also put all my weight on the rim at several points with the tire inflated, 165lbs plus bouncing up/down some. Seems like the strength isn't an issue since it is a cosmetic layer, but only a matter of time before it could get worse.

With the CNY...and money spent on $$$ the build/shipping etc...obviously not happy at this point.

I'm thinking of just gluing the wheel up and riding it for awhile until HongFu decides to do something about it, take it from there.

So, guys with UD on their wheels, PSA, check them to ensure the layer isn't coming loose anywhere.

I know, the forums are going to go crazy, the smaller builders are going to start linking and making blogs about this to prove what crap they are and how you should buy their wheels...flame on!!!

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Thats a bummer, but if you think it is just isolated to that area maybe consider repairing the section so it doesn't grow? I'd think a pin prick, widen the hole, inject some epoxy and let it cure in a vice might offer a solution, or source a composite repair facility in your area, as opposed to the shipping, warranty conformation, wait and ship back approach.

If HF is on the level and manage their paperwork correctly, typically an item sent international as a warranty exchange is not subject to customs and duty fee's a second time around so you would be able to have full insurance coverage on the retail amount without paying to receive it again.

Again though the issue with this is you will be out return shipping costs and wait time, but if you already opened a PP dispute, PP might reimburse your out of pocket expenses. HF would have to reach an agreement, thus known as a "partial refund" in your case.

Hope it works out for the best.

EDIT: Assuming you are in the states and sorry, but this is a good argument to stick with more local brands like Zipp and ENVE as turnaround times on warranty would cost little and be quicker.
carbonLORD.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I don't think pin pricking is an option because as the video shows, it has bubbled, that would be tricky to get to stay down with some epoxy injection. Maybe I'm wrong and a carbon repair place would differ. But I know these places, they would charge $500 to repair a rim that is only worth $150. No sense in that.

Ideally HongFu will just ship me another rim, then I can ship that one and my built one to the builder and have them strip and rebuild it. I would be out nearly $150 for just that process alone with shipping/build time. Unless I can find someone locally to do it. Then not so painful

When sh&t goes wrong with Chinese stuff, this is where it doesn't pay to buy cheap. But then again, you would be up the creek with any company. You would have to jump through their hoops, ship it back, wait etc...and basically be without a wheel for something like this for a week/two anyway.

Worse case, I just buy another identical rim from some other company, and just rebuild it with the same spokes/hubs/nipples and move on.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Zig, I checked out your vid and can clearly see other areas where more delamination is underway under stress from final build.

My worry is rapid failure at speed.

Sykes

by Sykes

I'm considering a new set of carbon clinchers and am a little torn between the favorites on here, namely the L-B 45U, HongFu 56mm and FarSports 50mm. I know it's hard to compare the wheels, reading a good portion of this thread only one person has tried two of the wheels in question, but any tips would be great.

1. I'm a little confused by FarSports wheels. They have 4 different 50mm clinchers. The new 2014 23*50 has an upgraded brake pad, and the rim in 50g lighter. They also have 3 versions of their 2013 50m, (23mm, 24mm and 25mm widths). Do they all share the same shape? Seems bizarre that they make so many widths.

2. Is one of the wheels (L-B, FarSport and HongFu) thought to have a better brake track, that is more durable to higher temps?

3. I plan to use a larger spoke count (24/28), but as a heavier rider (90kg) does one of the rims seem more robust that the others? Zig's wheels above do not give confidence in the HongFu's, but L-B also had some brake track issues. How HongFu handles this will speak volumes, as there can always be the occasional production issue.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Bridgeman wrote:Zig, I checked out your vid and can clearly see other areas where more delamination is underway under stress from final build.

My worry is rapid failure at speed.

How do you see that? There are no bubbles anywhere else. I've pressed firmly all over the areas of the rim and just normal carbon flex takes place.

Anything else might just be from finger oil/lube from build around the nipples that have smudged around and the way the light strikes it in the video.

makerr

by makerr

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Things like this are truly a big PITA. Your video shows clearly without doubt that you were shipped a defective rim. I'm sure that they will send you a new one gratis, and you'll just be out whatever it costs to rebuild. Hoping for a good outcome for you.
Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SergeduTemps

by SergeduTemps

Deciding between the LB 45mm and 50mm U-shape.
I'm thinking the 45mm has the better shape (firecrest), but I'm liking the depth of the 50mm.
And will only be using them in the flatlands (Netherlands) so some extra depth is welcome. Don't have the weight of the 50mm, anyone knows?

Which one would you pick?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk