Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

AJS914 wrote:Getting ready to order my Farsports wheels but I have to say that I'm tempted by the much cheaper CSC (Carbon Speed Cycle) wheels I see on Aliexpress. I may even order a 2nd pair to try.

Anyone have good luck with CSC? I live in a flat area. I'm not worried at all about overheating brake tracks.
Carbon Speed Cycle prices are the lowest I have seen. Probably for a reason. Take a look at the rim finishes https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 3&t=133976
Why not pay a little extra and get the wheels from LB?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

AJS914

by AJS914

I think I saw that link a while ago. This is three years later so I thought I'd ask.

I'm kind of settled on Farsports. Light Bicycle wheels come in about $200/more set.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Just ordered two rims from a company called Xiamen Apex Technology.

50mm deep, 29mm wide, 22mm internal. Purportedly 460g. $263 shipped from China to the US.

I'll post pictures and weights when they arrive. Based on the profile shown on their website, looks like they'll be a good fit with something like a Specialized 26mm tire. Probably balloon out to 28mm or so.

Cattiy

by Cattiy

Ordered Farsports FSC45 Disc wheelset with 28 mm outer rim width and 21 mm inner rim width and DT Swiss 350 hubs with the 11/11 promotion. I am excited a it will be my first „deep“ wheelset.

AJS914

by AJS914

I also ordered from Farsports today,

50mm rims - FSC50CM-25T
Tubeless
No spoke holes
DT Swiss 350 hubs
CX-Rays

I thought about the 28mm wide rim (19.25mm internal) but both of my road frames are going to max out anyway at a tire that measures 25mm - aka 23mm GP4000. I might try the new GP5000 tubeless eventually if it measures out true to size.

Cattiy

by Cattiy

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:07 am
I also ordered from Farsports today,

50mm rims - FSC50CM-25T
Tubeless
No spoke holes
DT Swiss 350 hubs
CX-Rays

I thought about the 28mm wide rim (19.25mm internal) but both of my road frames are going to max out anyway at a tire that measures 25mm - aka 23mm GP4000. I might try the new GP5000 tubeless eventually if it measures out true to size.
Bummer if there would be a Disc brake version of this rim. 19 mm inner width would suit me better for my 23 mm tire!
Can you link them?

AJS914

by AJS914

Those 28mm wide rims only show up on their Aliexpress site:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/ ... 67e9evFP3J

They also list these 28mm wide disk brake wheels:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/ ... 3001vy8QZ0

They don't give the internal dimension but they look the same as the rim brake rim.

Cattiy

by Cattiy

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:06 pm
Those 28mm wide rims only show up on their Aliexpress site:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/ ... 67e9evFP3J

They also list these 28mm wide disk brake wheels:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/ ... 3001vy8QZ0

They don't give the internal dimension but they look the same as the rim brake rim.
That are the ones I ordered. 21 mm inner rim width.

kyleFu

by kyleFu

On web shop "wheelsfar"
The catalogue "gravel", wheels are all wide profile.

26mm outer width, with 19mm inner width.
28mm outer width, with 21mm inner width.
30mm outer width, with 23mm inner width.
Farsports
https://www.wheelsfar.com
kyle(at)farsports.cn

Cattiy

by Cattiy

kyleFu wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:29 am
On web shop "wheelsfar"

Can I safely run a 23c Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tire on the 28mm outer width, with 21mm inner width? Schwalbe Pro One tubeless 23c are more like 25-26. mm in reality.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Cattiy wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:00 pm
kyleFu wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:29 am
On web shop "wheelsfar"

Can I safely run a 23c Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tire on the 28mm outer width, with 21mm inner width? Schwalbe Pro One tubeless 23c are more like 25-26. mm in reality.
No more than 20 pages back, even a few less than 10 pages back, there are multiple answer to question similar to yours (but in different 23c tires).
Additional answer specific to Pro One is that, 23c Pro One on 21mm internal width is not as narrow as you quote. It'll be closer to 27mm.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

TheKaiser wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:51 pm
I sent a message to LB looking for more pics and info on what their grooved brake tracks are like, as the stuff on their website all looked like it was picturing the disc configuration, and the description is rather vague. For instance, are the grooves running radially like on a Zipp Showstopper, or are they circumferential like a Mavic aluminum rim? Also, are they molded in, or machined after molding?

Replying to myself, I got pics of the new brake tracks from LB. Not sure if they are machined or molded yet, but I'd guess machined. They look pretty clearly "inspired" by the Zipp Showstopper brake tracks which have gotten pretty good reviews from what I've seen. LB also said their new use of graphene is not just in the brake tracks, but instead is graphene powder added to the resin, which is used on the whole rim structure. I'd be curious to know how much graphene changes the heat flow through the resin/fiber matrix. I know continuous graphene fibers are supposed to be great conductors, but in this sort of random orientataion it is tough to tell how much of a benefit it is without some real test data. It would be nice if it could help spread that heat out over the whole body of the rim rather than keeping it localized right in the most vulnerable and failure prone part, the brake track. Just thinking out loud, it could also make the resin stronger, even if it doesn't substantially change heat flow, although other companies (Easton jumps to mind) have tried doping their resin with carbon nano particles before and seem to have abanonded the tech without much explaination.
Have you pulled the trigger? I'm still on the fence after reading a comment about instability due to rim profile and braking performance.
"Customer review" from https://reynoldscycling.com/collections ... ducts/aero
"I have a pair of wheels I built with Light Bicycle 65 rims out of China. Those are built well and are actually almost as fast as Reynolds 65. Light Bicycle are scary unstable. Plus the braking isn't anywhere near as good. The braking of Reynolds 65 is powerful and smooth. There's no pulsating at all. They're laterally very stiff and responsive, and the rear hub engages extremely fast."

On a positive note, LB WR56C02 was proven to perform well. Kudos to Reynolds for teardrop rim profile which makes it stable in crosswinds.

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

lwk

by lwk

I have done around 300km so far on my LB46mm wheels and I am really impressed. Firstly, the front wheel is very stable in windy conditions, even from gusts caused by passing trucks. They are way ahead to my previous set from yishun where I was using a U shaped 50mm front wheel. Concerning braking, I am using Campagnolo direct brake front and rear with LB blue brake block and the braking is very strong with no pulsing at all. This is a very nice wheelset. Weight is a fraction under 1500g laced to Bitex hubs. I can only imagine that the textured brake track will be even better. I wouldn’t mind trying the 56mm rim.......

Marin

by Marin

Got my EIE 25x60mm SL wheels. 1495g on Novatec SL hubs with fat spokes on the drive side is more than OK.

Tubeless, angled brake track, 27mm at the widest point, new unique *UD* hi-temp brake track:

elzilcho

by elzilcho

I placed an order on 11.13 for the Farsports 40mmx30mm gravel wheels. I'll update once I have shipping and delivery info. These will be used on my Carbonda CFR505 gravel bike with Gravel King SK 38mm tires. Looking forward to seeing how 30mm wide, 23mm internal affects the ride quality. They're currently mounted on 25mm wide, 18mm internal DT Swiss wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com