Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

polaxgr

by polaxgr

Hello guys...i didnt have the time to read 118 pages..Could anyone tell me if they had experience with Farsports? I am looking into buying a pair of carbon tubulars from ali. And in comparisson with tokyowheels? thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Discodan

by Discodan

I’m sure you’ll get more qualified views than mine but IIRC Toykowheels are actually just Farsports wheels with their own stickers on them. Farsports is a manufacturer but Tokyo wheels is just a virtual wheel company and one that has a pretty dodgy reputation. Google it for giggles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

polaxgr

by polaxgr

Discodan wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:00 am
I’m sure you’ll get more qualified views than mine but IIRC Toykowheels are actually just Farsports wheels with their own stickers on them. Farsports is a manufacturer but Tokyo wheels is just a virtual wheel company and one that has a pretty dodgy reputation. Google it for giggles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
farsports it is then. thanks

ms6073

by ms6073

Discodan wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:00 am
Farsports is a manufacturer
May be wrong, but I always got the impression that companies like Farsports, while co-located on the same campus as one or more unnamed carbon manufacturers, was simply a marketing/trading/export company that maintains close relationships with the manufacturer(s).
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Got myself a pair of Light-Bicycle 56mm deep, 30mm external width, 23mm internal width. Built with Novatech centerlock disc hub, Sapim CX-Ray, hidden nipples.
Near each spoke holes, it look noticeably oily. I think it's from oil they use when building the wheel. Finishing is impressive, just like my previous rim from Light-Bicycle.

Actual Width:
-Inner
DSC00582.jpg
-Outer
DSC00584.jpg
Velo plugs fit good. It doesn't sit all the way in in the picture, but it will once the tube push them in place.
DSC00587.jpg
Weight, with veloplugs already in place:
-front
DSC00589.jpg
-rear
DSC00586.jpg
total weight = 1507.4g
24 veloplugs weight 2.9g, 48 of them for both wheels weight 5.8g
So the wheel without veloplugs should weight 1502g. Yes, this is the weight for Clincher 56mm deep, 30mm external, 23mm internal, center lock disc hub 24 spokes front and rear with hidden nipples.

And finally, this is how massive a 25c is on this rim.
DSC00590.jpg
I put Vittoria tire on just to check if everything is good. Corsa G+ seems to expand a lot on wide rim. I'll check other tire later once i have the rest of the bike (maybe next 30 days).

Jugi

by Jugi

Hexsense wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:53 am
Got myself a pair of Light-Bicycle 56mm deep, 30mm external width, 23mm internal width. Built with Novatech centerlock disc hub, Sapim CX-Ray, hidden nipples.
So the wheel without veloplugs should weight 1502g.
And finally, this is how massive a 25c is on this rim.
Nice pics of a really nice set of wheels! 8) I’ve had a spare DT Swiss 240s SP 28h rear hub for a year or so, and since buying that hub I have had a tubeless wheelset in the works. I have been waiting for the tubeless carbon rim market to mature a bit. Right now it feels like there are multiple good options to choose from. The RR56C02 is at the top of my list at the moment. I’ll build the set with 24 spokes in front and 28 in the rear so it won’t be the lightest possible configuration, but I’m aiming at a sort of middle-of-the-road, hassle free end product.

Did you contemplate about using a RR46C02 front rim and the 56 in the rear, then mixing tire widths respectively? I like Enve’s system thinking in mixing rim widths and heigths, and in my experience I have found a less than 40mm front rim to be a good compromise in usual riding conditions. Over 50mm can be a bit of a pain in windy conditions. At the back it serves a purpose to have a rim taller than 50mm, as long as weight is not the main concern. However if the tires work well with the rims, having 50mm in both ends may not be too much to handle even in cumbersome conditions.

It looks like a 25mm tire is quite flush with the 56 rim’s outer width. Do you think a 28mm (a Schwalbe Pro One for example) would actually bulge considerably wider than the rim when mounted?

Beaver

by Beaver

Nice! ;)

Will you try them with 25mm tires on the road? It would be interesting, if you could lower the pressure even more than with a 21mm inner width. But this is really the maximum I would ride myself. ;) Could you also mount a 4000S II 25mm and measure the width? And what pressure had the Vittoria?

And are those decals still stickers? They look very smooth.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Jugi wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:59 am
Did you contemplate about using a RR46C02 front rim and the 56 in the rear, then mixing tire widths respectively? I like Enve’s system thinking in mixing rim widths and heigths, and in my experience I have found a less than 40mm front rim to be a good compromise in usual riding conditions. Over 50mm can be a bit of a pain in windy conditions. At the back it serves a purpose to have a rim taller than 50mm, as long as weight is not the main concern. However if the tires work well with the rims, having 50mm in both ends may not be too much to handle even in cumbersome conditions.
I also have 46mm as my front wheel of rim brake bike. I think i can handle more. The wind i feel is more like a straight push than a handle bar rotation. Which i don't think it's bad. The 46mm is more blunt at the sharp edge.
I remember the handling in cross wind was a bit worse when i put tire too big on it. It was clearly improved as i put 23c on. I guess the 56mm could handle excellently with 25c because it is now 30mm wide.
Jugi wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:59 am

It looks like a 25mm tire is quite flush with the 56 rim’s outer width. Do you think a 28mm (a Schwalbe Pro One for example) would actually bulge considerably wider than the rim when mounted?
It should be around 31mm too. Which will be perfect for rear wheel. But i still encourage 25c in the front unless the road is very bad.
Even on 21mm internal width, Vittoria Corsa G+ is really the widest in 25c, it go over 29mm on 21mm internal width too. Contrasty, Vittoria Corsa G+ 28c run small compare to others...
Beaver wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:29 am
Will you try them with 25mm tires on the road? It would be interesting, if you could lower the pressure even more than with a 21mm inner width. But this is really the maximum I would ride myself. ;) Could you also mount a 4000S II 25mm and measure the width? And what pressure had the Vittoria?

I'll run 25c in the front for sure. But i won't build this (disc brake) bike for another month so i can't try it yet.
Of all tires i have, 4000sII is actually the one that just recently worn down (and thrown away). I have no plan to re-acquire it yet. For Continental I like Force III and Attack III better.
Those decal are under clear coat.

pushstart

by pushstart

The new decals look really nice. I have the older design which are fine too -- and also under clearcoat. I don't notice crosswinds with the 46mm rims (even with 28mm tires), but I might be bigger/heavier (185cm / 80kg). I have a friend that just ordered a build of the 56mm rims for his new Venge.

Glad to hear LB wheel build quality is good. I wasn't sure as I've always built the wheels myself (after bad experience with wheels from Farsports being poorly build / under tensioned).

Hexsense

by Hexsense

yes their build are good. You just have to specify how do you like the spec to be.
I go for straight pull hidden nipples. The straight pull lacing pattern are specified by the hub so i don't have to that i want 2x on both side of both (disc) wheels. Then i forgot to specify how the "interlace" of spokes should be like. Light-bicycle do traditional way for me which is interlace (spokes physically touching each other) on the last cross heading to the rim. This approach neutralize tension difference between inner spokes and outer spokes. I like the look of spokes that just fly cross each other without physically touching (like on Shimano wheels etc.) more. But it's no big deal, i didn't specify so they do a standard way for me.

Beaver

by Beaver

Beaver wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:29 am

I'll run 25c in the front for sure. But i won't build this (disc brake) bike for another month so i can't try it yet.
Of all tires i have, 4000sII is actually the one that just recently worn down (and thrown away). I have no plan to re-acquire it yet. For Continental I like Force III and Attack III better.
Those decal are under clear coat.
Ok, I am curious if you will notice a difference with the 23mm inside - aerodynamically it's also a tad better (rim wider than the tire). ;) What was the pressure of the 30.45mm Corsas? And how difficult was mounting the tire? For unexperienced riders even 25mm tires on rims with 21mm inside are quite difficult to mount. ;) But Tour Mag. even mounted a 25mm 4000S II on the 25mm inside Enve 4.5 AR for their aero test. :D

Hexsense

by Hexsense

sorry i forgot to answer the pressure.
That was 70psi.

Tire mounting is definitely not easy the first time when all Veloplugs are not seated snugly in place yet.
The second time though, it is no problem. Tight but easy enough for me to do with no lever. I find it crucial to utilize center channel to help with tire mounting. Always leave tire's edge in the recess center channel when mounting or unmounting the tire. Tire will be push outward to their place once we pump up. Unmounting the tire is only possible (for me) after pushing tire's edge back into the center channel (whole loop) before attempt tire removal.

Beaver

by Beaver

Ok, then the Vittoria gets really wide, even wider than the Conti it seems. The Conti is nearly 29mm on 21C and usually one gets no more than 0.5mm more width with each mm more inner width of the rim. It shouldn't be more than 30mm wide on a 23C rim.

And yes, that's what I also make sure - the tire flanges have to be in the center of the rim all around the wheel, every mm is important here. :) And in addition you can use a 1:1 dish fluid/water mixture and rub it on the inside (not outside!) of the last 20cm of the tire. It will be much easier to push it over the edge then, even without tools.

cendres

by cendres

I've been purchasing rims from Farsports for budget-oriented builds for approximately five years with no issues. Earlier in the spring, I received a pair of rims with obvious defects in the bead area on each rim. Excess resin prevented the tires from seating properly and so the rims were of no use to me.

I contacted my normal guy there with photos. Initially, he could see no problem with the rims. It took two weeks for him to acknowledge their product was faulty. In that time, they repeatedly informed me that there has never, in more than a decade of making this particular rim, been any sort of issue with them and that I should "carefully cut the excess resin from the bead area". I could have done this, but that is a bunch of crap. There's no way the customer should be expected to fix their QC foulup.

After nearly a month of them slow-walking responses back to me, they finally agreed that they would replace the rims. Great, right? No. Weeks go by, no rims. "Very soon", "tracking number tomorrow", etc. was the response to every email. Finally, I turned to Paypal for resolution and hopefully, a refund.

Farsports then decided that I needed to ship the rims back to them, at my expense, for inspection. To me, this makes no sense at all. They have been provided with all the photographic evidence required. The only party to benefit from shipping these rims back halfway around the globe is the shipping company.

Farsports, it seems to me, doesn't believe there is a problem with these rims and so they began by stonewalling then calling my bluff (apparently) in an attempt to hold off Paypal. And it worked as my refund has ultimately been refused. Good for them, I guess.

In closing: Farsports has been given ample opportunity to make this right and refuses to do so. Therefore, I urge anyone considering Farsports rims, wheels, components or whatever to think carefully before giving them a dime. They clearly do not stand behind their product and obviously couldn't care less about taking care of their customers.

—CEdefect defective melt disintegrate break bulge crack creak delaminate fail failure explode dangerous dishonest liars crooks den of thieves
Attachments
IMG_1212.jpg
IMG_1214.jpg
IMG_1213.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

wow, sorry to hear that. Will you still ship them the rim?
That remove Farsport from my "also consider" list for sure.

So for now from my experience, viable choices are:
Light-Bicycle (1 rim and 2 complete wheels): Brillient, my top spot for under a grand wheelset. Getting better brake track that perform great in wet is the only reason i see for spend more to buy Zipp, Mavic, Enve etc. (which for disc brake then i don't see a point buying anything more expensive)
Venn (1 rim of Venn 507 TCC): finishing is not as neat as Light-Bicycle but fine overall.
Yoeleo (2 pair of my friends): also good but not very wide.