Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LeDuke

by LeDuke

codytaylor48 wrote:Actually just mounted the rotors. Tires, and cassette.
My frameset is at the painters shop.

This picture is my wheel on a loaner Exploro.

For now I mounted some 34c WTB Exposure's.
3T Bailout cassette and Ultegra 140mm rotors.Image
Do you have the hookless version?

Could one run a road tire with tubes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

emotive

by emotive

LeDuke wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:45 am

I have the hookless version of the RR36C02. Their inner width of 22.5C is only 0.5mm less than RR56C02. I've run Continental GP4KII, Compass, and S-Works Turbo tyres, all in 28mm, and all with tubes. I'm running 60psi. 8000km and no issues so far.

codytaylor48

by codytaylor48

They did not make hookless on this model, I asked when ordering.
LeDuke wrote:
codytaylor48 wrote:Actually just mounted the rotors. Tires, and cassette.
My frameset is at the painters shop.

This picture is my wheel on a loaner Exploro.

For now I mounted some 34c WTB Exposure's.
3T Bailout cassette and Ultegra 140mm rotors.Image

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Good info, guys.

Now I just need to find someone who wants to trade their 24h DT 240s for my 32h hubs...

cybernck

by cybernck

Do any of the Chinese wheel builders offer wheels with front dynamo hub installed?

romanmoser

by romanmoser

@cybernck : not that I know off , but you could have them build the rear wheel and a local wheel builder taking care of the front wheel with dynamo ?

About Light Bicycle 56mm 30mm wide rims, I've receveid them yesterday only 9 days of shipping. I used XMXD a prepaid tax delivery shipping a little bit expensiver but I had no customs freights , VAT , tax nothing so It's very good and I am happy me who had a few issues with China and Customs here in Europe over the last years .

I tried a 28 mm GP4000S2 on the rim ( non build ) and without tubeless tape
I had a hard time for the end but found the right way and then it was okay not easy but okay
I pumped it to 4kg then 5kg and after I don't know 20 30mins it blew up ...
I was using a latex inner tube Michelin 20/25mm
The tire mounted was 31 32 mm

Do you also think that it's inner tube related and I should use a wider latex tube ? And wider butyl tube in case of flat ?
Something like conti race 25-32 ? I think it's the way to go
The only latex one I see is the Silca made by Vittoria one . Quite expensive 17 € instead of 10 11 € for the normal width but hey they are the only one on the market so wide ...

Marin

by Marin

Are you saying the tire blew off the rim without riding?

Could be that you pinched the tube - happens easily with latex when the tire is a tight fit. Use a light butyl tube.

Disc brake rims?

Jugi

by Jugi

What kind of a rim strip was used?

Did the tire blow off the rim or did the inner tube explode? If the inner tube exploded, were you able to determine where it started (against the tire / bead / rim or near the valve stem)?

25-32 should be wide enough as the tire is nominally only 28mm. Those tubes can be stretched to fit 33-42mm tires as a limp back home -strategy.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Yes disc brake rims

I only use latex inner tubes more comfort less rolling resistance
Or butyl if I flat
Or tubeless ready tires

It blew up on the rim side near the valve 5 cm yes

My rim stripe was not enough wide I think that maybe related
But the shape of the rims forced me to used plastic tires levers
I'll be more carefull and order some widers latex tubes then for the future

justinn

by justinn

I just placed an order for two sets from Farsports and it looks like they're set to ship out tomorrow.. with the new tariffs announced I'm assuming that there'll be an unexpected 10% bill attached to the cost. Does anyone know if Farsports marks their exports at full retail price?

knightskid

by knightskid

justinn wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:06 pm
I just placed an order for two sets from Farsports and it looks like they're set to ship out tomorrow.. with the new tariffs announced I'm assuming that there'll be an unexpected 10% bill attached to the cost. Does anyone know if Farsports marks their exports at full retail price?
I bought from them few months back, if remember correctly, is either declare much lower value or as gift.

JohnPeopleman

by JohnPeopleman

This thread has been a fantastic read. Thanks to all the contributors.

I’m looking to build a new wheel set for ultra distance riding. I’ll be lacing them to a dynamo hub for lighting/charging so will just need to buy rims and spokes (CX rays of course). Typical speeds range from 34km/hr for 200km to 25km/hr for 500+km rides. Currently I’m using a pair of older far sports 50mm deep 25mm wide rims with 25mm tyres. I’m planning on entering one of these long distance races in the future so I’m looking for a little bit more comfort as well as aerodynamics.

I had my heart set on LB 46mm with 28mm Conti 4KS2s but it seems after reading this thread that this mightn’t be the best combo.

What would be your suggestions for an optimum rim width and depth for this type of riding? Frame is disc specific . I run latex tubes usually but also have experience with tubeless. I was thinking the LB 56mm might be a better solution.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Either LB 46mm or 56mm but with 25c conti instead of 28c in the front. The rim has wide 21mm internal width (or 23mm for 56mm deep) so your tire is now much bigger already. You can already drop quite a lot of pressure from your previous wheelset even with the same 25c front and rear.

Small front tire for aero (and sharper handling), 28c in the rear for comfort. Both using similar or same pressure as the difference in tire width already compensate weight distribution difference.

peted76

by peted76

Considering a LB rim wheel build for my TCR..
I'm a bit concerned that my DA9000 calipers will struggle getting a 23mm internal with 25mm tyre in and out.. I have to squeeze them out now with a 17mm internal width and 25mm schwable pro-ones pumped up. Does anyone have experience with these large internal widths and DA9000 calipers? (do the new 9100 calipers open wider?)

Another question: I'm considering the LB 46 and 56mm rims.. as these have different internal measurements (21mm and 23mm) call me crazy but would it be wrong to have a front 21mm internal 46mm deep wheel running a 23mm tyre, and a rear 23mm internal running a 25mm tyre? Would it handle weirdly? Am I foolish to think I could get a bit aero and comfortable at the same time by doing this?

Or should I just go 23mm internal 56mm deep on both and run 23mm tyres? (note I have no inclination to run a tyre larger than 25mm, I run 28mm tyres on my winter bike and prefer smaller for my race bike.

Maybe I should look for another well regarded manufactuer of tubeless rim around 55mm deep with maybe a 19mm internal width?

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

If you are following the 105% rule then the rim should be wider than the tyre anyway so it's clearance for the rim that you need to be worried about. I believe the max width as stated by Shimano is 28mm (it is on my 6800 calipers, yours may be different) and that is using their thinner brake pads. Maybe you can get wider in there, I'm not sure and would like to hear from anyone who has fitted 28 or 30mm wide rims into caliper brakes and see what their experience has been.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com